Morrissey's 8 Most Offensive Comments - Paste Magazine

Morrissey's 8 Most Offensive Comments - Paste
By Madison Bloom.

Excerpt:

"To love Morrissey is to occasionally hate him. No pop star in history has stirred such conflicted emotions in his millions of fans based on his extra-musical relentless diatribe. By the looks of the upcoming Moz biopic England Is Mine(which is out now in the U.K. and hits U.S. theaters on Aug. 25), it seems easy to remember the former Smiths singer as the precocious Northern boy with big dreams and an even bigger vocabulary.

But while writer-director Mark Gill is keen on portraying the artist as boyish and meek Steven Patrick, the rest of us are stuck with the man known as Morrissey—the man of a million insults, a thousand enemies, and the biggest mouth in showbiz. To celebrate our love-hate relationship with The Pope Of Mope, here are eight of Moz’s most ridiculous big mouth moments."

I switched off after Pope of Mope.
Bored before I even began,
FWD.

To save the hassle and minus the editorial:

1. “I can smell burning flesh…and I hope to God it’s human.”
Said: On stage at Coachella in 2009

2. “In the U.K. we live under a Nazi regime.”
Said: On stage at Edgefield Amphitheater in Troutdale, Ore. in 2015

3. “It’s the refuge for the mentally deficient. It’s made by dull people for dull people.”
Said: About dance music to Details in 1992

4. “Robert Smith is a whingebag.”
Said: To NME in 1984

5. That James Baldwin T-Shirt
Seen: On Morrissey's website, but later removed

6. Suggesting Jamie Oliver eat his own kids
Seen: On Morrissey’s fan site True To You

“As for Brexit, the result was magnificent.”
Said: To Australia’s Faster Louder in 2016

8. “The Chinese are a subspecies.”
Said: to The Guardian in 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your thumbs up re the nazi comment because you agree with the poster making it clear its about the royals or because you agree with Morrisseys views that in the U.K. we live under a nazi regime?

No, my 'thumbs up' was in agreement with... 'Still waiting to read something he said that was offensive' and 'I only see his personal opinions'. Which are the two things ( if you did read my post) that I commented on. Sorry it wasn't clear.

No, my 'thumbs up' was in agreement with... 'Still waiting to read something he said that was offensive' and 'I only see his personal opinions'. Which are the two things ( if you did read my post) that I commented on. Sorry it wasn't clear.

The Nazi comment isn't particularly offensive but it would be interesting to see why he thinks that as I haven't seen any evidence in all the time I have lived here?

My opinion is that he says things for effect rather than what he truely believes, for example on the burning flesh comment, would he really want to smell his mother being burnt to death?

The Nazi comment isn't particularly offensive but it would be interesting to see why he thinks that as I haven't seen any evidence in all the time I have lived here?

My opinion is that he says things for effect rather than what he truely believes, for example on the burning flesh comment, would he really want to smell his mother being burnt to death?

'My opinion is that he says things for effect rather than what he truely believes, for example on the burning flesh comment, would he really want to smell his mother being burnt to death?'

:thumb::bow: thank you, FINALLY! someone has pointed out what should be obvious to anyone who has heard or read his comments. As I said in my post, one must draw attention ( in any way) in order to bring attention to subjects that get little to no attention in this world. It's as simple as that.

'My opinion is that he says things for effect rather than what he truely believes, for example on the burning flesh comment, would he really want to smell his mother being burnt to death?'

:thumb::bow: thank you, FINALLY! someone has pointed out what should be obvious to anyone who has heard or read his comments. As I said in my post, one must draw attention ( in any way) in order to bring attention to subjects that get little to no attention in this world. It's as simple as that.

What's the nazi regime in the UK drawing attention to? I have never seen anything that could support Morrisseys opinion.

What's the nazi regime in the UK drawing attention to? I have never seen anything that could support Morrisseys opinion.

Well as you said, I don't think he really believes that people in the U.K. live under a 'nazi regime'(death camps, etc), though by saying that, he is drawing attention to how bad (he believes) it is for people living in the UK.

It would be interesting to see in what context he says this, maybe why he said this would make at least a little more sense in context to the subject that he and the interviewer were discussing. Or maybe he was just exaggerating in order to bring attention to the subject.

Fairly harmless list. I agree with FWD about the 'pope of mope' comment. It never fit Moz. He has never really moped around and has done more on one world tour than any of those braindead journalists do in a lifetime of reheating other people's words.
There is nothing more boring than the current world of political correctness and blandness. Anything Moz says that mixes things up is a good thing. He's entitled to his opinion just like we (as so called 'grown-ups') are entitled to agree or disagree. Free speech y'all! Fuk I think I just said something potentially offensive.

Fairly harmless list. I agree with FWD about the 'pope of mope' comment. It never fit Moz. He has never really moped around and has done more on one world tour than any of those braindead journalists do in a lifetime of reheating other people's words.
There is nothing more boring than the current world of political correctness and blandness. Anything Moz says that mixes things up is a good thing. He's entitled to his opinion just like we (as so called 'grown-ups') are entitled to agree or disagree. Free speech y'all! Fuk I think I just said something potentially offensive.

Potentially yes.
Free speech is.
Part of the concept, isn't?
It's not rocket science.
Except maybe for people who don't want others to use it. Because it is offensive. But not for themselves of course. :rolleyes:

'Still waiting to read something he said that was offensive. I only see his personal opinions. Nazi regime comment is of course about the royals who he believes run the country.' :thumb:

Exactly, it's not difficult to say something that someone somewhere will find 'offensive'. If someones opinions offend some people so much then why do they think that by coming onto a site to comment on what M has said is going to change him? Laughable indeed and very sad.
Best thing would be to log out and go out into the real world and make the difference that they want to see made.

When taking M's comments in context with the rest of the interview or with the knowledge of his strong beliefs then one can see where he's coming from and why he said what he said, then one can see how brave he is by being honest and standing by his convictions in order to draw attention to the subject of animal rights in a world where little to no attention is given on the subject.

MORRISSEY IS IN THE RIGHT!
:rock::rock::rock::rock:

He is far right, you are right.

"Turn left"

"Right!"

English, the language of confusion.

They've done a poor research job with this list. It's like the Vauxhall Conference League of offensive comments by Morrissey.

Potentially yes.
Free speech is.
Part of the concept, isn't?
It's not rocket science.
Except maybe for people who don't want others to use it. Because it is offensive. But not for themselves of course. :rolleyes:

No speech ! that's what we need.

All speech is offensive. I think we should all go back to grunting and throwing shit at each other, that way there would be no misunderstandings. ;)

He is far right, you are right.

"Turn left"

"Right!"

English, the language of confusion.

English must be a confusing language for you.

'far right' ?

:lbf: twist away my little anon, I never said that.

Anyways, Ross Perot, Bernie Sanders far right? news to me. For you see, who M champions or has opinions about are for reasons we don't really know. And, all our assumptions,opinions and speculations are not fact. The only fact is that Morrissey is a complicated person, which is why he's loved by millions.

:thumb:

this is what I said... in the post you are responding to...

Exactly, it's not difficult to say something that someone somewhere will find 'offensive'. If someones opinions offend some people so much then why do they think that by coming onto a site to comment on what M has said is going to change him? Laughable indeed and very sad.
Best thing would be to log out and go out into the real world and make the difference that they want to see made.

When taking M's comments in context with the rest of the interview or with the knowledge of his strong beliefs then one can see where he's coming from and why he said what he said, then one can see how brave he is by being honest and standing by his convictions in order to draw attention to the subject of animal rights in a world where little to no attention is given on the subject.

MORRISSEY IS IN THE RIGHT! :rock::rock::rock::rock:

:tiphat:

Last edited:

'far right' ?

Anyways, Ross Perot, Bernie Sanders far right? news to me. For you see, who M champions or has opinions about are for reasons we don't really know. And, all our assumptions,opinions and speculations are not fact. The only fact is that Morrissey is a complicated person, which is why he's loved by millions.

English is nonsensical but in a funny way most of the time. If you go by what Morrissey has actually said there is no doubt he is far right. The reason being that he is a conservative at heart with very conservative values which has to do with him adoring a time that is long gone.

He admits himself that he lives in the past and has nothing to do with the times we now live in. He set up a bubble for him to exist in and that is his right.

If he praised Hitler no one would be surprised.

They've done a poor research job with this list. It's like the Vauxhall Conference League of offensive comments by Morrissey.

Very poor inded and the Breivik comment is of course number one for most people but even then he was of course right (far right)

LOL

'far right' ?

Wrong. He used to be loved by millions and if he had kept his gob shut over the last few years and let his music do the talking he may still have been loved by millions.

When he said "everyone entering a zoo should be forced to balance a football on their head for the rest of their life" he was insulting the football.

Ewwwwwwww! you are a nasty pasty!

No, just someone who saw The Smiths a couple of times and Morrissey loads of times (I'm even on the introducing Morrissey video) and then latterly thought why the f*** do you keep coming out with stupid bullshit comments. Manchester has a fabulous musical heratige. Bands like New Order and James have remained relevant, both had albums that entered the uk charts at number 2 in the last 12 months without having to resort to the headline grabbing bullshit that Morrissey seems to think makes him relevant.

Wrong. He used to be loved by millions and if he had kept his gob shut over the last few years and let his music do the talking he may still have been loved by millions.

I don't know, I haven't stood outside of every venue counting the people who attended, but I would draw the conclusion that many many would disagree with you.

And if people have a problem with M's comments then they really really need to see a doctor. Because it's :crazy:

No, just someone who saw The Smiths a couple of times and Morrissey loads of times (I'm even on the introducing Morrissey video) and then latterly thought why the f*** do you keep coming out with stupid bullshit comments. Manchester has a fabulous musical heratige. Bands like New Order and James have remained relevant, both had albums that entered the uk charts at number 2 in the last 12 months without having to resort to the headline grabbing bullshit that Morrissey seems to think makes him relevant.

I wasn't commenting on your steadfast, yet completely questionable, musical 'conclusions'. I was, in a jestful way, making light of the horrible word choice and the condescending and demeaning phrasing that you chose to express yourself.

I wouldn't talk to a deaf person, or to the shit on the bottom of my shoe, the way you expressed yourself.

But hey! I'm sure you're a winner! :thumb:

I wasn't commenting on your steadfast, yet completely questionable, musical 'conclusions'. I was, in a jestful way, making light of the horrible word choice and the condescending and demeaning phrasing that you chose to express yourself.

I wouldn't talk to a deaf person, or to the shit on the bottom of my shoe, the way you expressed yourself.

But hey! I'm sure you're a winner! :thumb:

Mmm, which horrible word choice would than be? Not sure on what your definition of a winner is but in my mind I am ok, married, 3 lovely kids, couple of houses and happily retired.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom