Morrissey's autobiography discussed in The Independent 22/4/11

Indeed, Morrissey deserves to be published by Penguin Classics, it's be great, isnst it?
Bur we shall consider it doesn't depend on Morrissey.

That quote that The Independent uses ~ "I'd like it to go to Penguin, but only if they published it as a Classic"..."I can't see why not – a contemporary Penguin Classic. When you consider what really hits print these days and when you look at the autobiographies and how they are sold, most of it is appalling. It's a publishing event, not a literary event." ~ Morrissey does not employ.
The only words they have correct are "I can't see why not"! The rest are either made up, or, as with the 'Cameron is akin to a child-killer' quote, were perhaps included in a transcript provided by the BBC for the press but cut from the broadcast interview. I'm confused.

As I actually collect Penguin Classics (as well as Oxford World's Classics and Routledge Classics), I would truly have the ultimate nerdgasm if this happened! Yes, I am an extremely sad individual! :thumb:

Well, from the way the article is worded, it seems like this transaction will happen rather smoothly..

If it does get published under the "Penguin Classics" label ("Penguin Modern Classics" specifically, I would think), then who would write the obligatory introduction? :confused:

I am very interested in reading it. I bet he would be good at writing, and I am curious what he will have to say.

Moz's bio has been long-anticipated, but that's the first Ive heard of Johnny planning one too. I'm quite thrilled at the chance to hear both sides of the story. It goes without saying that they're likely to have very different perspectives on things. Fun times ahead....

The story is on the guardian website as well (it wasn't in today's paper, just a small photo and mention of Cameron and Stags)

Just read the comments from the public below - I especially like 'Stupid boy' - Dave Cameron claiming to have been to every Smiths gig in 1989 ;)

Dave

I think Morrissey's autobiography is being more broadcast and published than any international crisis.

Last edited:
Got to love the quotes there:

"I'm really not that interesting, so I don't know why I've written so much," Moz admitted in an interview with BBC Radio 4's Front Row. "I have been through the whole life. I just wonder if 660 pages are too much for people to bear. And then I sit down and think, well, are six pages too much for people to bear? I really don't know. [It's] baffling."

When he's on the ball, Moz is the master of self-deprecation.

The story is on the guardian website as well (it wasn't in today's paper, just a small photo and mention of Cameron and Stags)

Just read the comments from the public below - I especially like 'Stupid boy' - Dave Cameron claiming to have been to every Smiths gig in 1989 ;)

Dave

Cracking stuff from stupidboy. Have to share this with the wider solo community, apologies but its really funny.
-------------------------------
hi hipsters,
dagenham dave here

call me stupid, but back in my college daze, and ever since, really, ive been in the first class carriage of the morrissey express. sometimes at the bullingdon, to amuse ourselves on a slow night, boris would produce the club jar of hair gel and we would 'get our quif on', to the strains of "the queen is dead" , with champagne cocktails and copious amounts of hash. that is truly a monster of an album, certainly on a par with anything cliff richard ever did.

one night, wearing womens undergarments, we all did a cirle j##k (i know, all very skull and bonesey) to their pedophile number, you know the one, "suffer, my little children", or was it "the hand that rocks the cradle". anyway, that was the first time we all saw gideons, shall we say, mini-me. boris laughed so hard, he said he almost had a fit.

anyway, i think that was the night we made a pledge to run the country, or was it to ruin the country. its all semantics and splitting hairs anyway, but it just goes to show, if you put your mind to something.... heaven knows, it almost feels like a miserable formality now. we did it, and its true, most people do hate it, and we are successful, so i expect, i hope, for more about me in that biography than about margaret thatcher or myra hindley.

anyway, why shouldn't i like the smiths. heck, my fave artist is marcus harvey and that one he did of thatcher made out of bullets and penises, so there.

Mentioned again today under the heading 'It's a case of Strangeways Here we Come when publishers panic'
A small picture and bitchy comments from a full of herself journalist, who could do with been reminded about her own lack of talent.

Leading Article in the Independent yesterday?

Leading article: Morrissey's instant classic?

Friday, 22 April 2011

Bigmouth has struck again. Morrissey is ready to unleash his autobiography on an eager world, but only if it is published as a Penguin Classic. The former Smiths singer's logic for this unusual requirement is interesting: "I can't see why not... When you consider what really hits print these days and when you look at autobiographies and how they are sold, most of it is appalling."

He might be right about the quality of many new books. But sadly, the fact that a garden is full of weeds does not guarantee that the next growth will be a rose. The possibility that Morrissey's book might not merit the exalted status he desires does not appear to have crossed his mind.

Penguin seems keen to indulge the singer, suggesting that the book must be "a classic in the making". But sadly for Morrissey, it's the accumulated judgement of posterity, rather than authors, which determines what literature survives and what gets pulped.

Rather than fretting about how his book is branded, the singer should perhaps think a little more about the content. Many years ago, Morrissey sang: "And if you have five seconds to spare, I'll tell you the story of my life".

If his autobiography is going to be readable, never mind a classic, it will need to be much more involving than that.

GOBSHITES!

www.somedizzywhore.com linked to an article wherein Penguin seems amenable to Morrissey's desires:

'Penguin, whose Classic imprint was launched in 1946 to provide the best books for the affordable price of sixpence, said Morrissey's wishes could be accommodated. A spokeswoman told The Independent: "There is a natural fit between Morrissey's sensibility, his artistic achievements and Penguin Classics. A book could be published as a Penguin Classic because it is a classic in the making. It's something we would like to discuss with Morrissey." '
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ing-war-hinges-on-classic-status-2272620.html

As I actually collect Penguin Classics (as well as Oxford World's Classics and Routledge Classics), I would truly have the ultimate nerdgasm if this happened! Yes, I am an extremely sad individual! :thumb:

I also collect penguin books the old orange and white ones are my fave. Though I lost a lot when I was moving home.
I think there will be a lot of snobbery about this BUT I think Moz deserves his place.
Its correct he should be in the same home Crisp, as Morissery took the baton from Crisp in many ways.
Also, I feel Morrissey,although at times comes very close to bursting his own bubble, has reached true icon status. Dylan,Bowie and Moz are the only ones who have managed this with out dying.

I hope he also does a spoken word version, with sound effects, like when he reads Proust. I can't wait.
Now all we need him to do is write another lp with with Johnny or anyones who isn't in his current team.

Back
Top Bottom