Most overrated band/singers?

Apologies @Silent Reader for the bread digression.
No it’s fine Mozmar - you’d actually answered the question as well.

See above for this months ‘foodie bollocks’ - it’s not the best one they’ve done, but you get the point. As I said yesterday, Viz can be very astute. He usually ends up with a black eye, but not this month🤣

This isn't going to be popular, but I'm throwing Bob Dylan into the mix here.

I never took to Bowie either, so you can have him as well.

@Mozmar , they are all valid suggestions, it’s personal opinion. For me, I’d add Radiohead, I never went much on them either. A few OK ones, but nothing special.

Billie Eilish today as well, but I accept I’m of a different generation to her main fan base, so maybe I just don’t ‘get it’.

@Mozmar , they are all valid suggestions, it’s personal opinion. For me, I’d add Radiohead, I never went much on them either. A few OK ones, but nothing special.

Billie Eilish today as well, but I accept I’m of a different generation to her main fan base, so maybe I just don’t ‘get it’.
I personally wouldn't include Radiohead (I still do listen to them), but like you said it's personal opinion/subjective.

I personally wouldn't include Radiohead (I still do listen to them), but like you said it's personal opinion/subjective.
Interesting fact, you may or may not know. Radiohead got their name from a Talking Heads song, ‘Radio Head’.

Now I wouldn’t put TH in the overrated category, underrated if anything. Great band!

Interesting fact, you may or may not know. Radiohead got their name from a Talking Heads song, ‘Radio Head’.

Now I wouldn’t put TH in the overrated category, underrated if anything. Great band!

I didn't know that, another interesting one and a band I liked in their early days. The Killers got their name from New Orders Crystal video where they had an imaginary band playing on the video and the band were called the Killers!

That's just an unsliced white load with added tomato puree and leftover olives from the deli counter. What you want is a lovely artisanal sourdough made by an ear-hooped fop called 'Mungo.'
Who is 'Mungo'? What does "ear-hooped" mean?

Wasn't there a band called Mungo Jerry or something like that?

I like to support small businesses so I would be happy to support a small independent bakery. I like healthy food and gluten free bread but it often isn't as good as wheat bread.

I'm a Bob Dylan fan. Bob Dylan has great lyrics like Morrissey does. Bob Dylan and Morrissey are modern poets for our times.

I didn't know that, another interesting one and a band I liked in their early days. The Killers got their name from New Orders Crystal video where they had an imaginary band playing on the video and the band were called the Killers!

Do you know, I swear, when I was typing the post about Radio Head, I was thinking about that New Order video!👍

And of course, The Ordinary Boys from our very own Mozzer...

Talking Heads got it right, didn’t keep going too long & never went shit.

Who is 'Mungo'? What does "ear-hooped" mean?

Wasn't there a band called Mungo Jerry or something like that?

I like to support small businesses so I would be happy to support a small independent bakery. I like healthy food and gluten free bread but it often isn't as good as wheat bread.

I'm a Bob Dylan fan. Bob Dylan has great lyrics like Morrissey does. Bob Dylan and Morrissey are modern poets for our times.
It basically means a left wing drop-out, like Swampy. Remember him? Someone one who doesn’t really want a job (ok, in this example, he does have a job in the bakery) & wants capitalism to collapse so they can just get handouts forever.

Kaiser Chiefs
The Killers
Maroon 5
Franz Ferdinand
... basically any band in the past 25 years.

'Bland' is too kind a word for these tossers.

Here's a list of memorable, distinctive singing voices off the top of my head from the 60s/70s/80s>

Morrissey (natch)
David Bowie
Chrissie Hynde
Neil Young
Suggs
Freddie Mercury
John Lennon
Mick Jagger
Ray Davies
Aretha Franklin
Joe Strummer
Sting
... and that list would go on

What have the past 25 years given us? Don't think I can even count Beyonce, she was already around in the 90s (not the 90s gave us much).

Kaiser Chiefs
The Killers
Maroon 5
Franz Ferdinand

Here's a list of memorable, distinctive singing voices off the top of my head from the 60s/70s/80s>

Morrissey (natch)
David Bowie
Chrissie Hynde
Neil Young
Suggs
Freddie Mercury
John Lennon
Mick Jagger
Ray Davies
Aretha Franklin
Joe Strummer
Sting

What have the past 25 years given us? Don't think I can even count Beyonce, she was already around in the 90s (not the 90s gave us much).
Some good choices, & I almost 100% agree with you re the last 25 years, but I’d say Editors & The Strokes are pretty good bands, especially Editors.

The 90s gave us some good bands though - Gene & Oasis for starters. Supergrass weren’t bad either. The Charlatans too, & the Manics. Oh, & Suede.

And I’ve just thought of another horrendously overrated band/singer - The Libertines & that absolute arsehole of a lead singer they had. His name escapes me, I could look it up, but I’m sure someone will remind me. An absolute tosser who couldn’t sing. Any comparison to The Smiths was a joke.

Actually, I’d say they were worse than Coldplay, but didn’t last as long so Coldplay still trump them because sadly they’re still with us.

Kaiser Chiefs
The Killers
Maroon 5
Franz Ferdinand

Morrissey (natch)
David Bowie
Chrissie Hynde
Neil Young
Suggs
Freddie Mercury
John Lennon
Mick Jagger
Ray Davies
Aretha Franklin
Joe Strummer
Sting

I'm liking your thinking 👍

Do you know, I swear, when I was typing the post about Radio Head, I was thinking about that New Order video!👍

And of course, The Ordinary Boys from our very own Mozzer...

Talking Heads got it right, didn’t keep going too long & never went shit.

🔎"Happens a lot with some bands. Sometimes less is more."

Some good choices, & I almost 100% agree with you re the last 25 years, but I’d say Editors & The Strokes are pretty good bands, especially Editors.

The 90s gave us some good bands though - Gene & Oasis for starters. Supergrass weren’t bad either. The Charlatans too, & the Manics. Oh, & Suede.

And I’ve just thought of another horrendously overrated band/singer - The Libertines & that absolute arsehole of a lead singer they had. His name escapes me, I could look it up, but I’m sure someone will remind me. An absolute tosser who couldn’t sing. Any comparison to The Smiths was a joke.

Actually, I’d say they were worse than Coldplay, but didn’t last as long so Coldplay still trump them because sadly they’re still with us.

Oh yes, the Libertines. That's the trouble with trying to create a list of all the forgettable bands from the past 25 years - they're all just so damn forgettable.

Britpop seemed to be the last gasp of creativity and vitality in the British pop music industry - even though the bands overtly celebrated nostalgia and borrowing (or nicking) from what had gone before, they still frequently had identities and a sound that was distinctive enough to call their own, and we got some great songs from that era. Great songs. Remember them? I think the record industry reached a stage where it realised great songs weren't necessary. You could still shift units by just engineering sound and sticking a warble of some kind on top.

And yes, Peter Doherty was, and remains to the best of my knowledge, a tosser. A guy who desperately wanted to look, live and write like Lord Byron but never managed to stop resembling a 12 year old choir boy, no matter how many drugs he took (or claimed to take - he was probably popping lemon bon-bons).

Oh yes, the Libertines. That's the trouble with trying to create a list of all the forgettable bands from the past 25 years - they're all just so damn forgettable.

Britpop seemed to be the last gasp of creativity and vitality in the British pop music industry - even though the bands overtly celebrated nostalgia and borrowing (or nicking) from what had gone before, they still frequently had identities and a sound that was distinctive enough to call their own, and we got some great songs from that era. Great songs. Remember them? I think the record industry reached a stage where it realised great songs weren't necessary. You could still shift units by just engineering sound and sticking a warble of some kind on top.

And yes, Peter Doherty was, and remains to the best of my knowledge, a tosser. A guy who desperately wanted to look, live and write like Lord Byron but never managed to stop resembling a 12 year old choir boy, no matter how many drugs he took (or claimed to take - he was probably popping lemon bon-bons).
Too true, I agree with all that. And I’ve said it before, & I’ll say it again - because it’s true - there are no really great songs anymore because of downloads. There is no such thing as a singles chart anymore, I don’t care that one gets published every week, it’s bollocks. Downloads killed music, and they killed b-sides too.

And of course, were it not for downloads being allowed in the charts, You Have Killed Me would have gotten to number 1.

The past is a better place.

Whilst I am sure I will get bombarded with abuse with this post, but I genuinely think The Beatles are over rated. I am not saying they didn't write some great songs, but I am confused on why they are put on a pedestal and seen as being the greatest band ever when clearly they aren't

Whilst I am sure I will get bombarded with abuse with this post, but I genuinely think The Beatles are over rated. I am not saying they didn't write some great songs, but I am confused on why they are put on a pedestal and seen as being the greatest band ever when clearly they aren't
I know what you are saying, but the thing is, I don’t know how old you are, but me personally, I wasn’t born when they were ‘going’, so it’s probably more to do with the cultural impact they had at the time, & they were quite experimental I think, for then.

Nowadays it just sounds like a load of stuff we’ve heard a million times, but the Beatles were the big influence on that.

The songs are still pretty good, but there have been better since.

Back
Top Bottom