Moz book ?

Yet another Morrissey book that reveals nothing that isn't already common knowledge...where can I buy it?

Yet another Morrissey book that reveals nothing that isn't already common knowledge...where can I buy it?

Probably somewhere in near proximity to the album that you'll moan about for multiple threads because Johnny Marr isn't Morrissey's guitarist on it.

Probably somewhere in near proximity to the album that you'll moan about for multiple threads because Johnny Marr isn't Morrissey's guitarist on it.

slowclap.gif

New Book on Morrissey by NP Greco

I don't know how a book review shows up on a site advertising, as far as I can tell, cars, but I don't recall hearing about this one before otherwise:

Dr. Nicholas Greco's new book "Only If You Are Really Interested".

Why do we enjoy the music that we listen to? What keeps us interested when we encounter media texts? Dr. Nicholas Greco, Assistant Professor of Communications and Media at Providence College, addresses some of these questions in his new book, “Only If You Are Really Interested”: Celebrity, Gender, Desire and the World of Morrissey, published by McFarland Press.

“One of the keys to the enduring popularity of the British singer Steven Patrick Morrissey (who most often goes by his last name only, and was lead singer of the band The Smiths, from 1983-1987) is his carefully crafted enigmatic persona,” says Greco, who is both a scholar and fan.

Greco’s book examines the role of enigma in the celebrity’s public life, exploring how a level of mystery is maintained through television interviews, videos, reviews and concerts, as well as through his music and lyrics. Greco presents the case of Morrissey, using it to illuminate how celebrity functions, and how fans engage with celebrities that they like. The book explores both the nature of our desiring, and how enigma affects notions of traditional masculinity.

“Of particular interest is the way in which enigma stimulates interest and desire in his audience,” says Greco, “and how the artist manipulates traditional modes of masculinity and the conventions of pop music to further cultivate enigma, or a mystique.”

While the book focuses on the British singer Steven Patrick Morrissey, the concepts it explores are applicable to many celebrities in mediated society.

“Morrissey is a fascinating celebrity, one who maintains his celebrity through enigma, a constant state of mystery,” says Greco. “It is important to understand how celebrity works and how we as fans engage with celebrity.”

Nicholas P. Greco is the author of numerous articles, including work on David Bowie, U2 and the Canadian rock band Rush, as well as the television shows of creator Joss Whedon. He is a founding fellow of the Canadian Institute for the Study of Pop Culture and Religion.

Providence College and Seminary is a Christian academic community in the evangelical tradition that teaches people to grow in knowledge and character for leadership and service. Providence is located in Otterburne, MB.

McFarland is one of the largest companies in the area of scholarly texts that focus on popular culture. The book can be ordered from any book retailer, or from online retailers such as Amazon.
http://www.mysteinbach.ca/newsblog/11494.html

Re: New Book on Morrissey by NP Greco

It's a bit surprising this good doctor works for a Christian college "in the evangelical tradition." Perhaps that means something a bit different in Canada than it does in the U.S.

I'm loving the cover:

com-060811-01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom