Moz content in June 09 'Mojo'

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
Lengthy interview with Jeff Beck, including a little sidebar box titled 'Moz&Me' which tells the story of how he ended up on 'Black Cloud'. Seems it was via Chrissie Hynde, who he's mates with. He's a long time veggie too, so that would help (Beck thought Morrissey only talked to vegetarians!). He met Moz and Chrissie Hynde at the bar of the Sunset Marquis 'at cocktail hour' and both of them were smashed apparently. Moz whispered something to Chrissie cos he was too shy then Chrissie asked Beck to play on his new album. Next morning a CD is slid under Jeff's door with a note from Moz to ask if he'd play on this track. Jeff says 'he knocked it out in a couple of hours'. You'd never have guessed!;)
Which reminded me of this ~ http://www.nypost.com/seven/05102008/gossip/pagesix/music_miracle_110247.htm :squiffy:
Elsewhere, a 2 page review of the new old records by Ian Harrison. 'SG' gets 3 stars, 'Maladjusted' gets 4! Very positive stuff. Plus a beautiful black and white full page outtake from the Pat Pope photoshoot for the new old 'Maladjusted'. Check out Moz flashing his label....DKNY :thumb:

Re: Moz content in new 'Mojo'

I mis-spoke. Jeff Beck actually states that Morrissey and Chrissie Hynde were "shitfaced" when he met them, not smashed as I said before. There is a subtle difference. ;)
And I forgot to mention that 'Mojo' also contains a lovely review of a re-release of the John Betjeman 1974 album 'Late-flowering Love'. Opening paras refer to Moz's use of 'A Child Ill' from the 'Banana Blush' LP and include some cogent Moz/Smiths comparisons. The review also has extensive quotes from Nick Cave and Suggs, who are also, apparently, big fans of Betjeman's 70's musical forays. If my scanner wasn't banjaxed I would gladly oblige.....:)

Jeff Beck titbit re: Black Cloud

had a flick through mojo today and there was a lengthy article about jeff beck and there was a little insert about how he came to play on "black cloud" - here it is verbatim :

the rumour was that he only talks to vegetarians! well i've been a vegetarian a f***in sight longer than he has ! chrissie hynde was the catalyst between us . i met them at the bar in the sunset marquis during cocktail hour : they were shitfaced. morrissey leaned over to chrissie and i thought he wanted to leave .chrissie turned to me and said "he's too shy to say it but he would like you to play on a atrack on his album .the next day i found a cd under my door with a note from morrisey saying "it was really nice to meet you - would you play on this track . he was charming and i never thought he would give me the time of day "

the image of moz and chris "shitfaced" is hilarious !!! maybe that rumour of them jamming is true after all

Re: Moz content in new 'Mojo'

Morrissey, now nearly thirty years in the music business, is still too shy to ask someone to play on his new disc?

Back
Top Bottom