Moz sighting in Altrincham

Drew a swallow

deep and blue
A friend emailed me to tell me that she saw him in Altrincham tescos on sunday. He was down the xmas biscuit/chocolate aisle. He was with a blonde woman of similar age - Jackie, his sis? He was holding a basket while she filled it with stuff, neither of them speaking. He was looking at the floor, doing that awkward head tilt of his. Immaculately dressed - blue jeans, nice shiny shoes, dark jacket, dark scarf, flat cap, canvas graffiti-patterned shoulder bag for his shopping. Said friend was too nervous to talk to him.

Said friend was too nervous to talk to him.

Don't blame them.

I occasionally use that branch of Tesco, but it's an awful aircraft hanger of a store. I'd die if I turned the corner of an aisle to find Morrissey doing the shopping with his sister!

Dave

Actually I read the email wrong. It was Marks & Spencers. As if the great man would ever enter Tescos?!?!?!?

Is that like a Gelsons?

As I shop at Tescos I must've been subconsciously jealous that she saw him and not me. That's why I typed that. But what would you do if you saw him in that situation?

In a scarf a flat cap carrying a man bag. I'd hurry on by.

As I shop at Tescos I must've been subconsciously jealous that she saw him and not me. That's why I typed that. But what would you do if you saw him in that situation?

I'd probably be wildly over-enthusiastic to have met his sister and asked him calmly if he was sure he didn't see signs. :p

I think I understand your answer now. "Gelsons" is a fancy grocery store here, the kind that has track lighting in the produce section and lots of weird cheese. I wasn't alluding to jealousy. :p

Is Marks & Spencer or Waitrose posher?

My UK Supermarket rankings in poshness:

M&S/ Waitrose
Sainsburys
Morrissons
Co-op
Tescos
Somerfield
Asda
Lidl/ Aldi
Iceland
Farm Foods

In a scarf a flat cap carrying a man bag. I'd hurry on by.

Man bags are really handy to keep your sandwiches in for your lunch. Personally I find a plastic carrier bag just as adequate

M&S/ Waitrose
Sainsburys
Morrissons
Co-op
Tescos
Somerfield
Asda
Lidl/ Aldi
Iceland
Farm Foods

What a cool list. In California it's:

Gelson's
Bristol Farms
Whole Foods
Pavillions
Trader Joe's
Vons
Albertsons
Stater Bros
Ralphs
Food4Less

What a cool list. In California it's:

Gelson's
Bristol Farms
Whole Foods
Pavillions
Trader Joe's
Vons
Albertsons
Stater Bros
Ralphs
Food4Less

I wished we had Gelson's and Bristol in Vegas. I would agree with your list except bump up Albertsons in front of Vons. The Albertsons here in my neighborhood is as nice as a Whole Foods!

In Vegas it would be:

Whole Foods
Glaziers
Smiths
Albertsons
Trader Joe's
Fresh and Easy
Sunflower Market
Vons
Food 4 Less

Can't believe I'm commenting on markets..:)

Last edited:

M&S/ Waitrose
Sainsburys
Morrissons
Co-op
Tescos
Somerfield
Asda
Lidl/ Aldi
Iceland
Farm Foods

I would say that M&S is slightly posher than Waitrose, but I also think that Morrisons is posher than Sainsbury's. Underneath your list, I'd put Netto (a budget chain that I've only ever seen in the north) and, right at the bottom, Poundland (some might say that it's not a "supermarket", but I think it technically is - especially some of the really big ones you get in south London). I've never heard of Farm Foods. :confused:

Supermarket rankings in terms of poshness (in my opinion, anyway):

Waitrose
M&S
Sainsbury's
Co-op
Tesco
Morrissons
Asda
Aldi
Lidl
Iceland
Netto

Depends on how you define poshness really. I think I've only been in Waitrose about once in my life, and even then we didn't buy anything. So, by my classification, I'm a bit of a commoner (Tesco, Asda, Morrissons and occasionally Lidl for me). :p

I loved Booth's.
But my heart belongs to Marks & Sparks :)

Waitrose
Booths
M&S
Sainsbury
Tesco
Morrisons
Asda
Aldi
Lidl
Netto
Farmfoods
Iceland
Jack Fulton

Did I miss any?

P.

In my opinion:

M&S
Fresh and Wild
Waitrose
Sainsbury's
Tescos
Budgens
Co-op
Morrissons
Somerfields
Nisa / Spar / Costcutter
Asda / Iceland / Lidl

I haven't been to Booths, Aldi, Farmfoods, Netto and Jack Fulton.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom