Mozipedia - your thoughts?

Oh shucks, I just ordered it. Hope it'll be delivered soon. (Also :lbf: @ unclescanner)

I love it! I've burst out laughing several times while reading it. :) It's so much fun to just leaf through it and read an entry here and an entry there, whatever happens to catch my eye.

My English e-friend Garry went to the Lattitude Festival last weekend and Goddard gave a talk there about the book. He said he was very suspicious about the book going in, but left the talk very enthusiastic about seeing it! He said Goddard mentioned an annecdote about Moz lunching with Henry Winkler which was especially amusing.
(I told him he should post a review of the talk on here, but he said the Forums scare him. lol)
Was that the one about Moz only eating white food, and having to get a correct recipe from his mother ?!

Was that the one about Moz only eating white food, and having to get a correct recipe from his mother ?!

Yes, you're right.I've got the book here, it says that Winkler recalled the time Moz "visited their house for dinner and was 'so precise' about how he liked his mashed potato that he insisted The Fonz telephone Morrissey's mum to get the specific recipe."
Fussy eaters...dontcha just love them!:)

Yes, you're right.I've got the book here, it says that Winkler recalled the time Moz "visited their house for dinner and was 'so precise' about how he liked his mashed potato that he insisted The Fonz telephone Morrissey's mum to get the specific recipe."

The story was reported by thecondy last year.

More food related nonsense from Mozipedia under the entry for My Love Life, when Chrissie Hynde took offence at engineer Danton Supple offering her a digestive biscuit (as they contain animal fat) and she lobbed the packet back at his head in disgust and unleashed a tirade of abuse at him!

Goddard is clueless about gender and gender issues, which is revealed by the lack of an entry about this in the book. I also do not agree with him about how he portrays the content of the book The Well of Loneliness, the development of its plot and the false asumptions seem to escape not only him though. The book has to be seen in conjunction with a bloke called Ellis Havelock and how concepts are launched into society. But I suppose it would be demanded too much to ask of a journalist who writes for major British newspapers. ;) It has changed my opinion on the book quite a bit and opened my eyes to how its content is influenced by its writer - like any book.

I think the danger with a book like this is a lot of people seem to think Goddard has some kind of inside knowledge, but the reality is Morrissey has never cooperated with him so all his Morrissey stuff is culled from secondary sources. He's not really any more qualified to know the truth than any bog standard Morrissey obsessive.

I think the danger with a book like this is a lot of people seem to think Goddard has some kind of inside knowledge, but the reality is Morrissey has never cooperated with him so all his Morrissey stuff is culled from secondary sources. He's not really any more qualified to know the truth than any bog standard Morrissey obsessive.

Any bog standard Morrissey obsessive with access to people involved in the recordings. I'm still learning new bits and bobs here and there.

Obviously there is nothing new from Morrissey in this book, but there's a lot of interesting new bits of Morrissey information.

Bought a copy from Waterstones today. £19.99.
Have only had a quick look but it looks pretty good!

Even Morrissey's "truth" - should he ever hand it over to his public - will no doubt be highly stylized and somewhat glamorous. Perhaps not as oblique as Dylan's Chronicles, but certainly not as clear-cut as some will hope it to be.

Goddard has gotten to speak to a number of people who dealt with Morrissey first hand, which is an accomplishment in and of itself. He may use secondary sources but he has more than done his homework and the final presentation is much more than I expected. Between this and Stephane's site (which I was happy to see given due accolades by Goddard), you have two pretty close to comprehensive "one-stop" references on all things Smiths and Morrissey. That something of this nature exists at all is a testament to Morrissey's importance and enduring legacy.

Speaking of "importance," since the trainspotters have been adding their "where is <x>" items, I was surprised to not see an entry for either "The Importance of Being Morrissey" or "The South Bank Show." OR "South With Morrissey," for that matter. Did I overlook them elsewhere?

Cheers,
Jamie

More food related nonsense from Mozipedia under the entry for My Love Life, when Chrissie Hynde took offence at engineer Danton Supple offering her a digestive biscuit (as they contain animal fat) and she lobbed the packet back at his head in disgust and unleashed a tirade of abuse at him!

What a bitch..

I was loving my Mozipedia until I realised there was no entry for "Because of my poor education" :(

"Shame is the name" is there, why no BOMPE?

:lbf:
That sounds scarily like me. I am extremely fussy when it comes to food.

Tags
mozipedia unclescanner
Back
Top Bottom