Music News / Fiona Dodwell: "The unforgiving storyteller: Morrissey's lyrics remain as vital today as ever" (July 31, 2020)

"Morrissey's lyrics have become as much of a trademark as the iconic quiff he sports. Dry, critical, sneering and defiant, he has been pop's favourite, much-loved outcast for many years. His skills as a songwriter are highly revered, so today I take a look at his creative signature style, and examine exactly why we need his voice today as much as we ever did..."

Regards,
FWD.

I'm getting a little bit sick of reading about her comments on Moz. If I want to know how great he sounds and how relevant his lyrics are all I need to do is put on a record, CD, or stream him.

:rolleyes:

🗣

🤒

As much as I hate skinny and he clearly can't rationalise anything, he's bang on here. It's embarrassing

As much as I hate skinny and he clearly can't rationalise anything, he's bang on here. It's embarrassing

I doubt Moz has anything to do with it - beyond being happy to see something positive occasionally.

once again the idea that spouting nonsense opinions is actually just being "honest", "bold" and telling the truth everyone is too afraid to say!!!!

once again the idea that spouting nonsense opinions is actually just being "honest", "bold" and telling the truth everyone is too afraid to say!!!!
This always gets me. You know there are laws against saying certain things for very good reasons of historical subjugation and racism. Afraid to say. What a load of horseshit. Just say what you mean and want to say, and if you can't live with the consequences of a criminal record, then you're a coward with no force of conviction.

This always gets me. You know there are laws against saying certain things for very good reasons of historical subjugation and racism. Afraid to say. What a load of horseshit. Just say what you mean and want to say, and if you can't live with the consequences of a criminal record, then you're a coward with no force of conviction.

Any dressing to go with that word salad?

"Ooh," his supporters cry, "he's speaking truth to power." Um, no he isn't. All he does is go harumph, boo, and hiss at things he doesn't approve of. He rarely if ever offers any enlightenment or insight into the issue at hand and doesn't seem to be able to offer anything in the way of analysis. I'd be much more likely to take notice of what he says if he were able to offer something in the way of a written polemic or essay - he is supposed to be a professional writer after all. But no, all we get are a few spat out sentences or a link to a Youtube video featuring some disagreeable right-winger. It's not really good enough.

"Ooh," his supporters cry, "he's speaking truth to power." Um, no he isn't. All he does is go harumph, boo, and hiss at things he doesn't approve of. He rarely if ever offers any enlightenment or insight into the issue at hand and doesn't seem to be able to offer anything in the way of analysis. I'd be much more likely to take notice of what he says if he were able to offer something in the way of a written polemic or essay - he is supposed to be a professional writer after all. But no, all we get are a few spat out sentences or a link to a Youtube video featuring some disagreeable right-winger. It's not really good enough.

I get the feeling he wants someone to enlighten him & he's just pointing to things he's worried about.

I'd love to know how he heard of Anne Marie Waters.

On a side note - she's been told by Kent Action Against Live Exports that she's not welcome - & I don't see how or why she would continue with her God Awful 'political' career & animal rights activism.

To be fair - getting denounced for saying 'the wrong thing' is a real problem.

There for sure are, and those are necessary, as they protect human beings against hate being spat out against them and leading to worsening of their situation, sometimes even leading to violence against them. I am not, the justified system is not, and I am certain that you are not, aware of any situation where Morrissey has gotten even close to violating those rules or laws. The critiques society as a whole and where he has mentioned individuals there are always more famous than he. I assure you Madonna did not cry nor wish a legal record upon him. I fail to see the connection.

The thing is, you’d be no more likely to take notice if he wrote a polemic or a critical essay. You’re entrenched, and a reactionary.

I enjoy Fiona's frequent essays on Morrissey. They are quite bold.

Her last paragraph is exquisite - and very true.

I can't think of single other artist who "tells it like it is" like Morrissey has/does.
In my day 'quite bold' meant the twisted teacher was about to hit you with an iron pipe. I wish I was joking.

The thing is, you’d be no more likely to take notice if he wrote a polemic or a critical essay. You’re entrenched, and a reactionary.
No, I would read it, critically and with an open mind.
And me a reactionary?? 😂 😂 😂

To be fair - getting denounced for saying 'the wrong thing' is a real problem.

yes if you're anything remotely left-wing you can do as much as eat a sarnie a bit strangely and you're devil incarnate

yes if you're anything remotely left-wing you can do as much as eat a sarnie a bit strangely and you're devil incarnate

Ach, poor Ed. Seems like a lifetime ago now.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom