'My Hurling Days are Done' question

I wonder what the connection is. It’s not an obvious thematic link.
I believe, as stated elsewhere, it to be an in-joke as Joe Chiccarelli worked on several Zappa albums and then, oddly - an obscure Zappa reference appears in a Moz song being overseen by Chiccarelli.
Not a coincidence?
Regards,
FWD.

I assumed it meant his days of measuring himself are done. Kinda like running hurling is a sport where you don’t have to compete against anyone but yourself and I guess environment

Re: "hurling is a sport where you don’t have to compete against anyone but yourself" ehh...wha?

Let me...educate you:
Hurling is team sport
It's 15 vs 15
And I can tell you, having played it - you certainly do have to compete against others from start to finish!
70 minutes : 35 minutes a half

People think it's dangerous because it's full on close contact with sticks ( called hurleys ),
but for skilled players it's not at all. Much more injuries in other sports such as rugby
It's rare to get a bad game of hurling - nothing...nothing beats a great game of hurling.
Fastest field game in the world. Fantastic sport

Ladies play it too - that version is called camogie
There is a similar game played in Scotland called shinty, but that's closer to hockey in some ways.
An Irish selection of hurlers takes on Scotland each year in a competitive game of shinty

You ca
Well it's a team sport and your up against another team in a pretty physical and sometimes violent sport so don't agree there.

You can make it a team sport or you can do it alone like running unlike say tennis. When you do it alone you’re measuring yourself and I think as you reach the end you realize life is mostly a measurement of self. I think it’s why he’s drawn to more solitary sports like when he mentioned the loneliness of the long distance runner. I mean he’s played football loves footballers but didn’t use it in his sports metaphor. I think because that puts people against each other while here he’s facing the end and looking back and measuring his feats thinking that there probably won’t be anymore tosses. There’s no other way to play football except against each other. That’s just me though. I’m not overly convinced of anything at the moment

I believe, as stated elsewhere, it to be an in-joke as Joe Chiccarelli worked on several Zappa albums and then, oddly - an obscure Zappa reference appears in a Moz song being overseen by Chiccarelli.
Not a coincidence?
Regards,
FWD.

:thumb:

I can see that happening. Wouldn’t be surprised if one of the band members brought the Zappa song up with Joe as a way to poke fun at him in a loving way, and Morrissey overhearing the shenanigans, through it in the song.

Maybe Joe had to explain the lyrics to a perplexed Moz! :lbf:

You ca

You can make it a team sport or you can do it alone like running unlike say tennis. When you do it alone you’re measuring yourself and I think as you reach the end you realize life is mostly a measurement of self. I think it’s why he’s drawn to more solitary sports like when he mentioned the loneliness of the long distance runner. I mean he’s played football loves footballers but didn’t use it in his sports metaphor. I think because that puts people against each other while here he’s facing the end and looking back and measuring his feats thinking that there probably won’t be anymore tosses. There’s no other way to play football except against each other. That’s just me though. I’m not overly convinced of anything at the moment
Hurling is a team sport pal, checkout another previous poster who played the game, it's not a solo sport.

You ca

I think you may be confusing hurling with hurdling... I will provide pictures to help you.

1585415297928.png

HURLING = teams of men with big sticks chasing and whacking a ball

1585415361639.png

HURDLING = running and jumping over series of little fence things

Last edited:
I reckon the California Son scores the most points in the LA City over 50 basketball league, so dude still can play.

Reckon the California Son's dad played in a hurling league in LA when, but like all Irish Catholic immigrants to America, he encouraged his California Son to play American sports and assimilate in to America culture. There is a very large Irish Catholic presence in Los Angeles, but I guess Mexicans sell in the media. That's right delusional foreigner satanists and protestants on this board, the California Son's mom and dad are married and live about 15 minutes from Al White in the San Fernando Valley. Just all part of the illusion of coming from a broken home and being sad to make you buy more. Reckon it's a homage to his dad inn nnn nn nn nn nn nnn nnn nn n nnn nnn nnn it.

hurling.jpg

Last edited:
I think you may be confusing hurling with hurdling... I will provide pictures to help you.

View attachment 55459
HURLING = teams of men with big sticks chasing and whacking a ball

View attachment 55460
HURDLING = running and jumping over series of little fence things

I wasn’t thinking of hurdling but I also for sure was not thinking of the sport pictured so yes I was indeed mistaken. Don’t ask me why but I think I was picturing shot put. That being the case I’ve no idea. Now it makes me think it’s about a specific person. Thanks for the correction

:thumb:

I can see that happening. Wouldn’t be surprised if one of the band members brought the Zappa song up with Joe as a way to poke fun at him in a loving way, and Morrissey overhearing the shenanigans, through it in the song.

Maybe Joe had to explain the lyrics to a perplexed Moz! :lbf:

I doubt he'd be perplexed, there's a lot of coy filth in Morrissey songs.

Famous When Dead tracked that down!

It seems to be from a Frank Zappa song - that seems to be innuendo about a priest & a leprechaun ?!?

Get on your feet an' do the funky Alfonzo!
Father Vivian O'Blivion
Resplendent in his frock
Was whipping up the batter
For the pancakes of his flock
He was looking rather bleary
(He forgot to watch the clock)
'Cause the night before
Behind the door
A leprechaun had stroked, yes . . .
The night before
Behind the door
A leprechaun had stroked (he stroked it) . . .
The night before
Behind the door
A leprechaun had stroked . . . his . . .
Sma-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ahhh (stroked his smock)
Which set him off in such a frenzy
He sang LOCK AROUND THE CROCK
An' he topped it off with a . . .
WOO WOO WOO
WOO WOO WOO
WOO WOO WOO
As he stumbled on his cock
He was delighted as it stiffened
And ripped right through his sock
Oh, Saint Alfonzo would be proud of me
PROUD OF ME
He shouted down the block
Dominus vobiscum
Et cum spiritu tuo
Won't you eat my sleazy pancakes
Just for Saintly Alfonzo
They're so light 'n fluffy-white
We'll raise a fortune by tonite
They're so light 'n fluffy-white
We'll raise a fortune by tonite
They're so light 'n fluffy-brown
They're the finest in the town
They're so light 'n fluffy-brown
They're the finest in the town
Good morning, your Highness
Ooo-ooo-ooo
I brought you your snow shoes
Ooo-ooo-ooo
Good morning, your Highness
Ooo-ooo-ooo
I brought you your snow shoes

Bonkers Zappa.

I doubt he'd be perplexed, there's a lot of coy filth in Morrissey songs.

I mean he would pretend to be perplexed just so he could watch Joe squirm as he tried to explain it to him.

:lbf:

I take it you've never listened to The Smiths' debut album.
I realised straight after I posted that I’d written something stupid. I hoped no one would notice...should have edited.

i really really like this long, and think it's a cracking closing song - best since Southpaw, actually. However, i despise the funky alfonso lyric, its clumsy, it doesnt mean anything to me, and it sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the lyrics which make sense and can be soundly interpreted

Famous When Dead tracked that down!

It seems to be from a Frank Zappa song - that seems to be innuendo about a priest & a leprechaun ?!?

Get on your feet an' do the funky Alfonzo!
Father Vivian O'Blivion

?

I believe Hurling is a reference to Irish ball and stick game. Moz lived in Ireland for a time and perhaps he was impressed with the bravery of the game. Ive played it myself as a youngster and contrary to public perception its really not anymore violent than any other contact or field sports. You might get the occasional nutter but players attacking each other with the hurley sticks are quite rare and those that do usually don't last very long in the game. That's why I no longer play!! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom