National Review: Music for the Masses: The Debut of Pop Fascism by Armond White (Aug. 20, 2021)

Of course, Armond is reading too much into things (that's what he does), but this bit in particular rings true:

The excuse that these stars celebrate New York City’s “return to normalcy” doesn’t jibe with Morrissey’s awareness of political threat and passive submission to ruling-class commands. Instead, de Blasio’s stars use their celebrity to convince the common folk to follow political fiat.

Of course, the London 2020 gig referenced in this article will go down in history as the night a man stole the posters and t-shirt from under my seat.
Still working my way through the CCTV footage.

Nice weather for the time of year

I don't know what I've just read. I'm not thick or anything and I've got a GCSE to prove it but I don't understand, at a very literal level, what the f*** that was on about.

:cool:

I don't know what I've just read. I'm not thick or anything and I've got a GCSE to prove it but I don't understand, at a very literal level, what the f*** that was on about.
I think, in a very real sense, the author is trying to convey the absolute betrayal and outrage experienced when someone has their posters and t-shirts stolen.
I got an A* for GCSE English, and I’m pretty sure that’s what it’s about.

I think, in a very real sense, the author is trying to convey the absolute betrayal and outrage experienced when someone has their posters and t-shirts stolen.
I got an A* for GCSE English, and I’m pretty sure that’s what it’s about.
Well, I've got a First in English and teach English for a living ...and your reading is absolutely correct.

I haven't got a GCSE but I guess it's about his Covid-19 negationism, anti-vaxx activism and hate towards left-wing mayors and artists.

The thing about Armond White, even if I disagree with almost everything he has to say, he is a smart, independent thinker and a generally good writer. Not like that hack Fiona Dodwell...

The thing about Armond White, even if I disagree with almost everything he has to say, he is a smart, independent thinker and a generally good writer. Not like that hack Fiona Dodwell...

You leave Fiona alone! She’s busy writing a review of how great Bonfire Of Teenagers is, and she hasn’t even heard it yet !

:p

It's a pro fascists view defending morrisseys political right wing view. It's cleverly written by a right wing journal essentially saying Morrissey is right for promoting not wearing masks, or your being manipulated by the left media. I can't believe it's put here as for our approval. That's why I don't promote this racist anymore.

Your reminder that this is not an unbiased outlet, so they would say that, wouldn't they?

Your reminder that this is not an unbiased outlet, so they would say that, wouldn't they?

Well yes, of course, but that doesn't stop Armond White from being a deliciously unhinged, articulate and fascinating writer about culture.

Great article. It is the role of the artist to be anti-establishment. As the bodies pile up in Kabul, I wonder is Lady Gaga starting to regret singing at Sleepy Joe's inauguration?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom