New feature (on hold): "Comment" on post

davidt

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
UPDATE: The Comments feature has been pulled due to various issues and initial lack of interest.

"Comments" on replies to posts - a new experimental feature has been added to the site.

You'll now see the option to "comment" on a reply. This doesn't appear on the original post of the thread as replies in the thread are considered replies to the original post.

This adds a layer of threading which I miss in the previous "slash" and I think a good compromise which works with the current system. The ability to 'reply' to posts still works if that is preferred.

Please post in this thread any feedback / issues.

Note:

Comments are attached to the parent post, if the original poster removes the post, comments attached may be deleted also. Comments are separate from posts, they don't count towards things such as post counts.

Examples from the developer to show usage. Compare the two threads, one without comments usage and the same thread with comments usage.

Last edited:
Yes - choose 'comment' if you want to keep the reply in the comments, otherwise a 'reply' would create a new reply.
K, a little confused but time will teach me what you mean.

Update - available only to registered users currently. Looks like there is an issue with the spam filter for anonymous comments.

UPDATE: Pausing this feature until some new issues are investigated / fixed.

UPDATE: Pausing this feature until some new issues are investigated / fixed.

Hi David, hope you’re doing well during these strange times.

off topic, but...

Is it possible to bring back the other ‘recent posts’ display that’s on the bottom of the home page?

This new display is just messy, showing all recent posts to the same thread. And when you click the ‘show more’ it brings you to another page.

The one prior was far better.

I'll consider it. For compatibility with the comments I needed to go with the new Recent Posts widget. I didn't know anyone clicked on "Show More" on the old one. Anyone else prefer the old one?

I have put back the expanded version of the old "Recent Posts" on the forums page for now. https://www.morrissey-solo.com/forums/

Hi David, hope you’re doing well during these strange times.

off topic, but...

Is it possible to bring back the other ‘recent posts’ display that’s on the bottom of the home page?

This new display is just messy, showing all recent posts to the same thread. And when you click the ‘show more’ it brings you to another page.

The one prior was far better.

Hi @davidt, I seem to be getting notifications for comments on posts I have not made... but perhaps this is one of the issues you're already trying to fix?

Yes that is one of the issues. Are you "following" the user that made the comment? Trying to figure out what is causing that.

Hi @davidt, I seem to be getting notifications for comments on posts I have not made... but perhaps this is one of the issues you're already trying to fix?

Yes that is one of the issues. Are you "following" the user that made the comment? Trying to figure out what is causing that.
No, that was the weird thing, I couldn't see any connection at all. I don't actually follow any other users. One of the alerts, I'm pretty sure, was from a thread I've never actually posted on ('It's not about politics'). Good luck with fixing...

Thanks, that is strange. Do you "Watch" the "It's not about politics thread" by chance?

No, that was the weird thing, I couldn't see any connection at all. I don't actually follow any other users. One of the alerts, I'm pretty sure, was from a thread I've never actually posted on ('It's not about politics'). Good luck with fixing...

I'll consider it. For compatibility with the comments I needed to go with the new Recent Posts widget. I didn't know anyone clicked on "Show More" on the old one. Anyone else prefer the old one?

I have put back the expanded version of the old "Recent Posts" on the forums page for now. https://www.morrissey-solo.com/forums/

Thanks, my fault, it’s labeled ‘view more’ to see what other recent posts have been made.

Don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. It’s at the lower part of the main page.

Before it just showed one recent comment to each thread, and if you wanted to see more recent posts you could click ‘view more’ and it would open up on the same page.

No big deal, just doesn’t work as well as the other version.

Just my two cents.

Thanks

Thanks, my fault, it’s labeled ‘view more’ to see what other recent posts have been made.

Don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. It’s at the lower part of the main page.

Before it just showed one recent comment to each thread, and if you wanted to see more recent posts you could click ‘view more’ and it would open up on the same page.

No big deal, just doesn’t work as well as the other version.

Just my two cents.

Thanks

I see what you mean about the differences. The new widget actually shows all the recent posts whereas the older widget shows the latest post from recent threads and you prefer that one. It's still currently on the forums main page if you want to use it as I mentioned.

UPDATE: Bugs have been fixed, the comment option has been re-enabled. Please continue to post here if you encounter any issues.

UPDATE: Bugs have been fixed, the comment option has been re-enabled. Please continue to post here if you encounter any issues.
I commented on a post by rifke and asked her if she got notification of it and she said no.

Hi David, all seems to be working normally except I'm getting notifications on every single post Light Housework makes! This has just started happening in the last 6 hours or so.

Another thing that's been happening, on my tablet, is that after I 'comment', I can't type anything. The virtual keyboard won't come up, and I have to force shut the browser.

Hi David, all seems to be working normally except I'm getting notifications on every single post Light Housework makes! This has just started happening in the last 6 hours or so.
Please feel free to put me on ignore.

Back
Top Bottom