Nick Cave on Morrissey (Conversations with Nick Cave, May 3, 2018 in New York)

9 Things We Learned From Nick Cave's Open Forum Q&A by Kory Grow, RollingStone, May 4. 2018

Excerpt:

7. He became a Smiths fan late in life.

When a fan asked if he ever came around to any of the bands he'd written off in the Eighties, Cave named a few. The Cure and the Smiths," he said. "I just kept hearing songs [by the Smiths] and thinking, 'f***, that guy's a really good lyric writer. I thought I was the only one.'" The audience laughed. "So I'm glad I didn't know too much about the at the time because I think I would have given up, but [Morrissey] is a great, great writer. Strange man, but … a brave man."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...learned-from-nick-caves-open-forum-qa-w519832

You did better than I did. I gave up after one page and put it on the book shelf..... where it's sat ever since. Maybe I'll have another attempt one day. Maybe.

I do enjoy Nick Cave. He's a good artist to dip in and out off from time to time. Abattoir Blues is an essential in my collection, the rest I can take or leave. I think the main point is he's still releasing good music and is an interesting character.
Have you read Cave's novels? And The Ass Saw the Angel is a difficult read, being presented as it is, in that weird Southern dialect, but still rather good, and definitely in his voice. The Death of Bunny Munro is good in its way, tackling aging and addictions, family bonds, but less so than his first IMO.

The weird idea that Morrissey got "worse" does not make any kind of sense to me. His solo work is actually better than what he recorded with the Smiths.

Nick Cave's albums WERE fantastic... since the early Boys Next door / Birthday Party albums till "Henry's Dream"... what he did after "Henry's Dream", I honestly do not get it.
"From Her to Eternity" is certainly one of the best albums ever recorded.

Anyway... he said that he likes the songwriting style of Morrissey... It is a bit weird to try to twist his words and proclaim that he didn't say what he said. I saw the words forming in his mouth.

Sometimes the conspiracy forums make more sense than some people here.

P.S, Bring back Blixa to the Bad seeds!!!!

Hugely disagree with you there . Skeleton Tree is quite possibly his finest album to date .

It's so easy to run afoul of the Loony Leftist bigots, any artist with a brain does sooner or later. So needless to say, Nick Cave is under fire as well.

His crime? He wouldn't let smelly old anti-Semite Roger Waters bully him into boycotting Israel. Good for you, Nick!

"So at the end of the day there are two reasons why I am here. One is that I love Israel and I love Israeli people and two is to make a principled stand against anyone who wants to censor and silence musicians," Cave said. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-roger-waters-thom-yorke-latest-a8065366.html

People are standing up to the Loony Leftists more and more, and it's great to see.

It's so easy to run afoul of the Loony Leftist bigots, any artist with a brain does sooner or later. So needless to say, Nick Cave is under fire as well.

His crime? He wouldn't let smelly old anti-Semite Roger Waters bully him into boycotting Israel. Good for you, Nick!

"So at the end of the day there are two reasons why I am here. One is that I love Israel and I love Israeli people and two is to make a principled stand against anyone who wants to censor and silence musicians," Cave said. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-roger-waters-thom-yorke-latest-a8065366.html

People are standing up to the Loony Leftists more and more, and it's great to see.

Nick Cave is a great artist, while Roger Waters is an absolute DH>;)

Hugely disagree with you there . Skeleton Tree is quite possibly his finest album to date .

It's a matter of opinions... That's just my opinion anyway... I would love to see him recording songs like this one:

It sounds as amazing as Coltrane's "A love Supreme" or Morrissey's "I know it's gonna happen someday"... those songs that sound that make you feel as if it was impossible that a human recorded something so beautiful... the kind of songs that you know that a person like Urbanus won't get because he is retarded (I simply thought of someone who is stupid and he came to my mind).

But I like Nick Cave, i certainly prefer his work from the Boys Next Door to Herny's Dream... to what he recorded afterwards.

It's a matter of opinions... That's just my opinion anyway... I would love to see him recording songs like this one:

It sounds as amazing as Coltrane's "A love Supreme" or Morrissey's "I know it's gonna happen someday"... those songs that sound that make you feel as if it was impossible that a human recorded something so beautiful... the kind of songs that you know that a person like Urbanus won't get because he is retarded (I simply thought of someone who is stupid and he came to my mind).

But I like Nick Cave, i certainly prefer his work from the Boys Next Door to Herny's Dream... to what he recorded afterwards.

How can you dismiss The Boatman's Call, Dig Lazarus Dig, No More Shall We Part, or even Murder Ballads for the album long inside joke that it is? Those albums are pretty amazing.

How can you dismiss The Boatman's Call, Dig Lazarus Dig, No More Shall We Part, or even Murder Ballads for the album long inside joke that it is? Those albums are pretty amazing.

I don't hate them... If I have to choose between any of them or an album by a band I don't like at all (I don't know... Oasis?), then I would listen to them... but I simply prefer his previous albums. I actually adore his previous albums.

I don't hate them... If I have to choose between any of them or an album by a band I don't like at all (I don't know... Oasis?), then I would listen to them... but I simply prefer his previous albums. I actually adore his previous albums.
I get where you're coming from. A lot of folks think he went a little too soft at points (myself included) and skipped over his later albums. Stuff like Nocturama, and most of the Lyre of Orpheus double album are hot garbage though.

f*** me what a ham fisted way to say "Look Nick likes Israel as well not just Morrissey " , playing Israel isn't the only issue playing Israel and having a go at Muslim and making iffy race related comments is .
You really must try harder .

Have you read Cave's novels? And The Ass Saw the Angel is a difficult read, being presented as it is, in that weird Southern dialect, but still rather good, and definitely in his voice. The Death of Bunny Munro is good in its way, tackling aging and addictions, family bonds, but less so than his first IMO.

That's a valid point. I haven't read any of Nick Cave's written work so will be sure to check it out.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom