Nick Cave on The Smiths (The Guardian, 4th May 2017)

"Trying to meet Cave eye-to-eye in any conversation about his lost son Arthur induces a feeling akin to stage fright. Yet he has been relentlessly upbeat for the shows on this tour so far, as if released of a burden and obviously glad to be performing again. Seeing him backstage after these sprawling and exultant shows, there’s a spark and warmth in his eyes and in his conversation, too. Arthur’s twin brother, Earl, now 16, has got Cave into the Smiths. “Do you like them?” he asks, as if they are absolutely the latest thing. “Great lyrics.”

Curious, charged, Cave is somehow brighter than ever."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/04/nick-cave-death-son-struggle-write-tragedy

Can't comment on whether Nick Cave etc supported in Amsterdam but it certainly wasn't their live debut. They headlined at the Electric Ballroom 12th April 84 (billed as the Cavemen on tickets, but actually the Bad Seeds) and had toured Australia prior to this.

must be very hard to lose a son at that age as their life is only really beginning.
Raphael why would you say this is off topic when its exactly what was said in the interview.dont go throwing off topics around as if they are going out of fashion.

Can't comment on whether Nick Cave etc supported in Amsterdam but it certainly wasn't their live debut. They headlined at the Electric Ballroom 12th April 84 (billed as the Cavemen on tickets, but actually the Bad Seeds) and had toured Australia prior to this.

I believe it was the first time they used the name NC and the BS.

My wife and I lost our first child in the mid 1990s, he was born with transposition to the great arteries. Open heart surgery at day 6, passed away at age 7. Besides the reversed arteries he was 100% healthy and normal. We have since had 3 healthy children. The loss of a child is a pain that time never heals and it stays with you for life. I have yet to meet anybody else who has gone through this and not come away a little more f'd up.

My wife and I lost our first child in the mid 1990s, he was born with transposition to the great arteries. Open heart surgery at day 6, passed away at age 7. Besides the reversed arteries he was 100% healthy and normal. We have since had 3 healthy children. The loss of a child is a pain that time never heals and it stays with you for life. I have yet to meet anybody else who has gone through this and not come away a little more f'd up.

Can't imagine the utter feeling of powerlessness and panic. Hope I never have to

I did wonder if Cave had suddenly found a new appreciation of The Smiths/Morrissey almost due to his tragedy. Because a lot of people do so, it seems. The article sort of implies it. But anyway being a father myself I am not sure how you would continue after such a terrible thing.

I am a massive NCATBS fan, and he:they are always amazing live. Warren Ellis is a genius. Skeleton Tree has to seriously be one of the most heartbreaking records I have ever heard though.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom