Nick Cave

nightandday

At wolve's request, I made Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Best of compilation in 4 parts, for an introduction/overview of Cave's career, but I'm sure there will be other people interested.

If there are other Cave fans here: you are free to criticize my choices. I mostly picked my favourites, but took into consideration a few other things, like: I didn't want to split albums over 2 comps, the folders couldn't be too big (they're all about 60 MB and 10 to 14 songs), I decided not to put more than 5 songs from an album or over a half of an album, I wanted it all to be versatile enough and present all the sides of Cave, and sometimes a song just fitted into a concept - for instance, Song Of Joy paraphrases/fits in nicely with Red Right Hand ("Paradise Lost" reference and all), which was already on the same comp.

#1 (1984-1987)

from "From Her To Eternity" (1984)

1) Avalanche (Leonard Cohen cover)
2) From Her To Eternity (originally from the debut album "From Her To Eternity - this is the version from the film "Das Himmel uber Berlin" a.k.a. "Wings Of Desire", 1987)
3) Well Of Misery
4) The Moon Is In The Gutter (B-side to the single "In The Ghetto", 1984; bonus track on "From Her To Eternity")

from "The Firstborn Is Dead" (1985)

5) Tupelo (single version)
6) Knockin' On Joe
7) Black Crow King

from "Kicking Against The Pricks", am album of covers (1986)

8) Muddy Water
9) Hey Joe

from "Your Funeral, My Trial" (1987)

10) Sad Waters
11) Your Funeral, My Trial
12) The Carny
13) Stranger Than Kindness

fbid_c.jpeg

katp_c.jpeg

#2 (1988-1992)

from "Tender Prey" (1988):

1. The Mercy Seat
2. Up Jumped The Devil
3. Mercy
4. City of Refuge
5. Slowly Goes The Night

from "The Good Son" (1990):

6. The Good Son
7. The Weeping Song
8. The Ship Song

from the various artists soundtrack to "Until The End Of The World" (1992)

9. (I'll Love You) Till the End Of The World

from "Henry's Dream" (1992):

10. Papa Won't Leave You Henry
11. Straight To You
12. Brother, My Cup Is Empty
13. The Loom Of The Land

hd_c.jpeg

ms_c.jpeg

Last edited:
#3 (1994-1996)

from "Let Love In" (1994):

1. Do You Love Me?
2. Loverman
3. I Let Love In
4. Red Right Hand
5. Do You Love Me? (part 2)

from "Murder Ballads" (1996):

6. Song Of Joy
7. Stagger Lee
8. Henry Lee (featuring P.J.Harvey)
9. The Curse Of Millhaven
10. O'Malley's Bar

It was hard to decide what to include from Murder Ballads, because IMO the songs are very similar in quality. I wondered if I should include O'Malley's Bar considering its length, but I just couldn't leave out a 15 minutes long song about a bunch or murders ;) Especially one so full of Cave's dark humour. The moment I decided to include it, it became clear that I could only have 2 albums on that comp, so why not put 5 songs. And Where The Wild Roses Grow is a beautiful song, but it was disqualified just because everybody in the world has already heard it. :)

hl_c.jpeg

#4 (1997-)

from "The Boatman's Call" (1997):

1. Into My Arms
2. (Are You) The One That I've Been Waiting For
3. Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere
4. Idiot Prayer
5. Far From Me

from "No More Shall We Part" (2001):

6. As I Sat Sadly By Her Side
7. Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow
8. And No More Shall We Part

from "Nocturama" (2003):

9. Bring It On
10. Wonderful Life

from "Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus" (double album, 2004):

11. There She Goes, My Beautiful World ("Abattoir Blues")
12. Nature Boy ("Abattoir Blues")
13. Spell ("The Lyre of Orpheus"

bonus song:

14. Sweetest Embrace - Barry Adamson & Nick Cave (from the soundtrack to Danny Boyle's "Acid House". I think it's also on one of Adamson's solo album.)

(technically it's not Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, but it is Nick and another Bad Seed, Barry Adamson, so I think it can be included!)

bc_c.jpeg

Here is some Birthday Party too, but they were very different from most of Cave's work in Bad Seeds...well, some songs like Jennifer's Veil, Deep In The Woods, or Several Sins (surprisingly melodic!) sound a bit like early Bad Seeds from albums like From Her To Eternity, but on the whole The Birthday Party were a lot more aggressive and chaotic, and Cave' singing (or shouting :D ) was really manic most of the time. It could be a big shock for someone familiar only with Cave's later more ballady albums and songs like Where The Wild Roses Grow, The Weeping Song, Into My Arms, etc.

Jennifer's Veil

Several Sins

The Friend Catcher

Nick The Stripper

Deep In The Woods

Release The Bats

A Catholic Skin

She's Hit

Mr. Clarinet

Mutiny In Heaven

Happy Birthday

BP_Photo82a.jpg

mutiny_c.jpeg

This is really great, thanks!!

Cheers for this, I look forward to dling when I get home!!!

Always been intrigued by Nick Cave but only ever had Murder Ballads amd The Good Son.

Back
Top Bottom