Nick Kent talks Morrissey and The Smiths in DN interview - Fredrik Strage / Morrissey 61 Facebook group

An anonymous person sends the link:

Excerpt:

Post by Fredrik Strage:

Jag intervjuade just rockjournalisten Nick Kent för DN. Han är aktuell med sin första roman "The Unstable Boys". Jag frågade också om hans relation till Morrissey och han gav mig väldigt utförliga svar. Eftersom jag bara fick med ett par korta citat i den färdiga texten tänkte jag bjussa er Moz-fans på resten. (Det här är inte korrat eller redigerat, bara utskriven intervju.)

Another big "what if" in rock history is what would have happened if you had agreed to publish the stuff that Morrissey sent you when you were a section editor at the NME? Maybe he would have become a rock journalist instead?
I never turned him down. I just didn't get back to him. He wasn't very good. But the main thing is that Morrissey was 14 years old. He was obsessed with the New York Dolls and I had spent enough time around the New York Dolls to know first hand that people who hang around the New York Dolls don't live very long. There's only one guy in the band still alive. Five are dead. Probably more than any other rock group of their era. So I just thought he'd better grow out of it. Also he was 14, what was I going to say? Leave school? Go to New York? I think he always resented me for that. Haha. We had a strange relationship. I remember interviewing him as a member of The Smiths, I couldn't remember him as Steven Morrissey, this kid that used to write to me. He wrote to a lot of people. But very quickly he wanted to know about the New York Dolls. And I knew about them. Johnny Thunders was the same age as me. We dressed the same and we had connections shall we say. So I knew the real story which he didn't. He just knew the story that he had read in the music papers. So I told him the real story of the New York Dolls and I remember him looking at me as if I was Saint Peter talking about Jesus Christ. This kind of worshipful look on his face. He wanted to touch the hem of my garment or something. I said to him "listen, man, the New York Dolls were a fine group, far be it from me to knock them but The Smiths are way better, you Morrissey are way more talented than anyone in the New York Dolls, that's just my opinion". And that impressed him. Haha.

I love The Smiths. I've been listening to them again. It's strange because their music came along at a really bad time in my life. Getting towards the end of my bad drug period. I was suffering from a really bad chemical depression. I was jaded and lacking stamina and everything was shit. Too many synthesizers. The whole music scene was all synthesizers at that point and I didn't like it. Then The Smiths came along and it was just wonderful. It was like hearing The Byrds again for the first time. I fell in love with music again. And meeting them was very nice. Johnny Marr gave me an amplifier, I was still a musician at that time, very nice of him. And a huge talent. I've played guitar with Keith Richards, I know how good a musician he is, like one-to-one, I know how good he is on stage but I also know how good he is when playing in a room and he's very good. He's much better in a room than he is on stage. And also Jimmy Page. Another guitar great. I've been in the same room and watched him play. He's great. But Johnny Marr was the best. When he was in The Smiths it was like... God, the beauty.... I'd purposedly go to soundchecks, before a gig, and Morrissey wouldn't sing it was just Joyce, Rourke and Marr getting the sound right. And they were rehearsing the songs for "The Queen Is Dead" which they were yet to record. They had just written them. And the music coming off that stage... everything that Marr played was just beautiful. It was like something out of a Greek myth. This golden music was coming out of his amplifier. Everything that he played was just... and they worked every day. The Smiths worked hard. The Smiths were the opposite of The Sex Pistols and The New York Dolls. They developed. They rehearsed. They wanted to be great. Every f***ing day, man. Morrissey and Marr would get together and say: "OK, today we're gonna write our version of '8 Miles High'. We're not gonna copy it but we're gonna do something as monumental as that." And they wrote "How Soon Is Now". Then Marr said: "OK, today we're gonna do our 'Gimme Shelter'." And they wrote "Bigmouth Strikes Again". They'd pick a song that was a classic. "OK, we're gonna do our 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling'." And they wrote "I Know It's Over". You understand? That's the level they were working on. Everyone else were thinking like: "OK, we want to sound a bit like Leonard Cohen, a bit like U2, and a bit like Depeche Mode, and the singer wants to sound a bit like Jeff Buckley. We'll put these ingredients together and we'll write our own songs." And that's pretty much what Coldplay does. And hundreds of thousands of people like that approach. That's a mainstream approach to rock music and has been for the last 30 years. But I don't like that because when I hear groups like that I just hear their influences. There's no personality. It's like the difference between Prince, who takes loads of influences but brought his own personality, versus Lenny Kravitz who takes Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix, a little bit of John Lennon, and a lot of other influences but doesn't really add anything of his own to it.

The Smiths were like The Velvet Underground. They had their own sound. And those are the rare groups. Those are the important groups that are going to last.

Is it true that Morrissey wrote the song "Reader Meet Author" about you?
I haven't heard the song so I don't really want to comment. There was a time when things were nasty between us. Now we just ignore eachother. I prefer it that way. I don't like his politics. I don't know too much about him. I haven't even listened to his last album. But I listened to "California Son" and I really enjoyed that. I thought he made some really good choices. Joni Mitchell. Laura Nyro. But as for the stuff that he writes now... no. I don't want to say anything negative about the guy but I'm not gonna say anything positive either. Loved him in The Smiths.

The original DN article:

full

You're honestly trying to argue that the people who criticize Morrissey should also have to take into account some scattered homophobic remarks that random people have made towards him over the years? How is that relevant at all? Do you hear yourself?

It's not random, or scattered. It's persistent & it's in the articles that have been used as the basis of allegations against him.

It's not random, or scattered. It's persistent & it's in the articles that have been used as the basis of allegations against him.
Give me a f***ing break, please. Beyond the fact that what you're citing is an absolutely shameless scraping of the barrel ("hate songs" from over 30 years ago by two bands no one has ever heard of), it's completely irrelevant re: criticism of Morrissey's politics or current artistic output.

Give me a f***ing break, please. Beyond the fact that what you're citing is an absolutely shameless scraping of the barrel ("hate songs" from over 30 years ago by two bands no one has ever heard of), it's completely irrelevant re: criticism of Morrissey's politics or current artistic output.

It's not irrelevant to way his narrative has been shaped & interpreted.

And I got those old songs from an article that wasn't that fussed about the level of hate speech in them. They're also all online, so search Morrissey & you can get to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
:mad:

OY BGVelcro now those dumb trolls suddenly dont count because the are punk rockers.:lbf:
BGVelcro that's all fine, but you are changing tunes almost immediately FFS dont you know that
being cryptic or idiosyncratic doesn't exempt someone from criticism nor does it excuse what many perceive as careless, disappointing and reactionary remarks. Anyone can shield themselves from critique with linguistic obfuscations and self-pity, but it doesn't make what they're saying or doing any more valid.

you should know this as you are a punk rocker from a band that nobody has heard of just like these other punk rock groups. What are you now, The Sex Pistols that everybody knows you. you and Melvin are careless and reactionary just like the punk rockers that said. You wouldnt say these careless and reactionary and VERY idiosyncratic statements had you not thought of yourself as irrisistable to all men
that come near you.:lbf:

total nutters the dynamic duo, BGVelcro and Melvin.:crazy: they talk like Bela Lugosi FFS:crazy:

Plain talking. No shit. It's rare enough to comment on. I have full respect for his answers. We don't know, of course, if Morrissey really looked at him like he was St. Peter, but we can allow him a little leeway - either poetic licence or the benefit of the doubt.

:mad:

OY BGVelcro now those dumb trolls suddenly dont count because the are punk rockers.:lbf:
BGVelcro that's all fine, but you are changing tunes almost immediately FFS dont you know that
being cryptic or idiosyncratic doesn't exempt someone from criticism nor does it excuse what many perceive as careless, disappointing and reactionary remarks. Anyone can shield themselves from critique with linguistic obfuscations and self-pity, but it doesn't make what they're saying or doing any more valid.

you should know this as you are a punk rocker from a band that nobody has heard of just like these other punk rock groups. What are you now, The Sex Pistols that everybody knows you. you and Melvin are careless and reactionary just like the punk rockers that said. You wouldnt say these careless and reactionary and VERY idiosyncratic statements had you not thought of yourself as irrisistable to all men
that come near you.:lbf:

total nutters the dynamic duo, BGVelcro and Melvin.:crazy: they talk like Bela Lugosi FFS:crazy:
Not sure who Melvin is could be connected to Hugh?

What do you think of John Robb? Some are thinking of contacting him on his Louder Than War Blog with the info that Nerak has collected.

David Stubbs who pulled Moz up for clumsy statements about race - then wrote an an article in 2019 about why you should not only cut Morrissey out of your life, but any friend who still liked him... & who tweeted this:

20210305_142048.jpg

In 2013 thought this was a funny thing to write in anticipation of Morrissey's autobiography:

20210305_141920.jpg

That kind of contempt - the only target is Morrissey, it's a play on his sexuality, there's no respectable point to it - matters when it's coming from a music journalist who has been concurrent with Morrissey's career.

chances are 99.99 % that this Stubbs cuck is BGVelcro or Melvin.:cool:

I don't think that's obvious, no. Most artists aren't interviewed by their biggest and most knowledgable fans

Didn’t say they should be. Maybe in a perfect world interviews might be more fair if it was a select diverse handful of people asking the questions rather than an individual interviewer.
and journalists aren't generally expected to know every minuscule detail of their subject's body of work.

Yes, unfortunately.
Morrissey is no different.
What do you mean?
Besides, any exchange can be illuminating, regardless of whether the person directing the conversation is an ignoramus or an acolyte.
Well, Morrissey’s answers are the reason why anyone reads the interviews in the first place, not the interviewers questions.
That's the name of the game. Art is created and art is criticized. The persona is created and the persona is criticized. There's no such thing as perfect and each perspective is, unfortunately, worth as much as the other.
Ok.
I'm not saying that "many" makes it right, but when one is provoking a particular response in a wide swath of people then it's fair to take into consideration why this might be happening.
Sure.
Surely you don't find it disagreeable when "many" people greatly enjoy Morrissey.

Don’t think the mass enjoyment of an artist like Morrissey is such a bad thing, I don’t think it’s harmful to the people enjoying his art or to the people that don’t. There are worse forms of escapism through entertainment, fan adulation of pop acts,etc.

I don't think that's obvious, no. Most artists aren't interviewed by their biggest and most knowledgable fans and journalists aren't generally expected to know every minuscule detail of their subject's body of work. Morrissey is no different. Besides, any exchange can be illuminating, regardless of whether the person directing the conversation is an ignoramus or an acolyte.

That's the name of the game. Art is created and art is criticized. The persona is created and the persona is criticized. There's no such thing as perfect and each perspective is, unfortunately, worth as much as the other.

I'm not saying that "many" makes it right, but when one is provoking a particular response in a wide swath of people then it's fair to take into consideration why this might be happening. Surely you don't find it disagreeable when "many" people greatly enjoy Morrissey.

:lbf:

WTF???? thats the name of the game? "Art is created and art is 'criticized'" Thats THE NAME OF THE GAME?
very next sentence the name of the game is : "The Persona is created and the persona is criticized" thats the NAME OF THE GAME:swear
(every 5 seconds there is a new NAME OF THE GAME YHEAR!!! I SAY SO :swear right now it may be one thing a second later ill make some new stupid stuff up:swear GO AWAY IF YOU DONT
LIKE IT:swear)

:handpointup:

Fake C should get this BigGVelcro nutter a job in the nutter library☣️

David Stubbs who pulled Moz up for clumsy statements about race - then wrote an an article in 2019 about why you should not only cut Morrissey out of your life, but any friend who still liked him... & who tweeted this:

View attachment 69285

In 2013 thought this was a funny thing to write in anticipation of Morrissey's autobiography:

View attachment 69286

That kind of contempt - the only target is Morrissey, it's a play on his sexuality, there's no respectable point to it - matters when it's coming from a music journalist who has been concurrent with Morrissey's career.
Are you going to contact John Robb with all the info you have collected maybe for him to publish the article in his Louder Than War Blog? It looks like there are different writers on his Blog.

Are you going to contact John Robb with all the info you have collected maybe for him to publish the article in his Louder Than War Blog? It looks like there are different writers on his Blog.

I'm thinking about it.

Will definitely get in contact about something & see how it goes.

Not sure who Melvin is could be connected to Hugh?

What do you think of John Robb? Some are thinking of contacting him on his Louder Than War Blog with the info that Nerak has collected.

Melvin the so called Polish troll, punk rock teammate with BGVelcro.
a connection with that cuck Hugh is a strong possibility as all these trolls are interconnected.🧐

I would avoid :handpointdown: ,with the ridiculous tuft of hair atop his bald head.
chances of being a nutter: 100 percent:lbf:
john-robb-04-w-c.jpg

Melvin the so called Polish troll, punk rock teammate with BGVelcro.
a connection with that cuck Hugh is a strong possibility as all these trolls are interconnected.🧐

I would avoid :handpointdown: ,with the ridiculous tuft of hair atop his bald head.
chances of being a nutter: 100 percent:lbf:
john-robb-04-w-c.jpg

Why do you write these things, why??!??

0c649a17ec1e5f5ca340248b4ef4e4be.gif

chances are 99.99 % that this Stubbs cuck is BGVelcro or Melvin.:cool:
I had never heard of David Stubbs before. Not until Nerak started posting about him.

I didn't know Melvin is Polish. Who is he? Is he in a punk rock band? I thought he might of been connected to Hugh because I thought it was Hugh who first started doing that "Melvis" thing as a horrible degrading put down. I could be wrong though.

🧐
the nutter has a 'manifesto' like Karl Marxo_O
lets examine some of the contents:

We travel a lot and we have writers from all over the world. We love the idea that technology can disseminate information about raw, very human music. The primitive is everywhere- the music business is over. We are the Jack Kerouac and Neal Cassady’s of the 21st Century – the internet is our highway.

"WE" are Jack Kerouac and Neal Cassidy in the 21st Century":crazy:

Ignore alien orders was once written on a guitar :flushed:

Will do Capn Kirk:crazy:

the nutter is full in funny farm:crazy:

and the bizarre tuft of hair:handpointdown:hair writing 'open letters' to Moz. we, that is , we are writing an open letter to Moz.(n)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom