NME discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 29417
  • Start date
I would say ‘97 felt bleak: racism was mentioned in nearly every Maladjusted review. The ‘99 tour was accompanied by an NME article inviting readers to ‘brick’ Morrissey offstage. Things didn’t get warmer until 2002, when a new enthusiasm for The Smiths seemed to give Morrissey a bit of purchase. But even the 2004 NME interview was represented (by Steven Wells) as Morrissey grovelling for forgiveness. Things didn’t feel on an even keel until 2006. And we all know that lasted mere days.
I'm looking through a collection of Maladjusted reviews right now and don't see a single mention of racism save for a passing reference to Finsbury Park in the NME. You and Karen drinking the same kool-aid?

I'm looking through a collection of Maladjusted reviews right now and don't see a single mention of racism save for a passing reference to Finsbury Park in the NME. You and Karen drinking the same kool-aid?

The 1999 tour NME review brought up the racism accusations - the same writer changed her mind when he had a hit, was talking to the press & was at Mojo.

'excised from the hearts of many, horrified by the messy “flirtation” with racist imagery' (Victoria Segal, NME, 1999)

'nevermind the shaky accusations of racism... he was being reviled for crimes he'd never committed' (Victoria Segal, Mojo, 2004)

There's no kool-aid about it - it's in the cuttings.

The 1999 tour NME review brought up the racism accusations - the same writer changed her mind when he had a hit, was talking to the press & was at Mojo.

'excised from the hearts of many, horrified by the messy “flirtation” with racist imagery' (Victoria Segal, NME, 1999)

'nevermind the shaky accusations of racism... he was being reviled for crimes he'd never committed' (Victoria Segal, Mojo, 2004)

There's no kool-aid about it - it's in the cuttings.
Are those Maladjusted reviews?

Are those Maladjusted reviews?

Post your reviews if you want.

It doesn't change the clear evidence in the press cuttings that false allegations of racism have undermined Morrissey's career. Which was Hovis's main point.

Post your reviews if you want.

It doesn't change the clear evidence in the press cuttings that false allegations of racism have undermined Morrissey's career. Which was Hovis's main point.
And gee whiz, all of that happened for absolutely no reason at all, how unlucky of Morrissey.

And gee whiz, all of that happened for absolutely no reason at all, how unlucky of Morrissey.

Verso: Gee whiz if you don't want to get burnt as a witch don't live near someone who will claim you put a spell on their sick cow.

Not exactly great news for those who wanted to continue buying his records. Which is the implicit problem.

But there are, actually, wider ethical issues regarding Morrissey’s treatment.

When Nerak champions Morrissey, she’s really working on the behalf of justice. Remember that?

Please publish. Thanks. 😀

That the NME lied about Morrissey in 1992 & have continued to reinforce the lie.

None of this would have happened if they didn't think he was gay.

He would have had more faith in mainstream media for a start - but also journalists wouldn't have scrutinised & twisted his words & would have noticed that he is overwhelmingly obsessed with animals & dislikes authority.

So the review annoyed me.
Is it not more respectable for him to like the skinheads because they make his little winkie feel all funny than because he shares their ideological outlook?

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer to imagine him as a delusional homosexer with a preference for rough boys than a rotten Nazi.

Horses for courses though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is it not more respectable for him to like the skinheads because they make his little winkie feel all funny than because he shares their ideological outlook?

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer to imagine him as a delusional homosexer with a preference for rough boys than a rotten Nazi.

Horses for courses though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ew!

But, yeah - & I think that's what the NME actually thought. It's the dressing it up in false & contradictory accusations like they're the Sun that's low.

Please publish. Thanks. 😀
The burden of proof is actually on you to backup your claim that nearly every review of Maladjusted mentioned Morrissey's racism, but since I'm feeling charitable (and you're likely hungover and ashamed of yourself) I'll go ahead and do the work for you.

NME:

"Bruised by everything from the reception afforded every single since 'Ouija Board Ouija Board' to the Finsbury Park fiasco and bloodied from The Smiths' royalties court case which had him famously described as "devious, truculent and unreliable" by the non-'Southpaw Grammar'-buying judge, it's no surprise to discover that his return is a low-key affair. "

This is the full extent of anything remotely resembling a mention of "racism" by the NME in their review of Maladjusted. I'm not going to bother linking you to anything from Spin, Rolling Stone or any other American outlet because they were never particularly interested in the racism conversation and naturally these reviews contain nothing but middling reviews of the music itself. I couldn't find The Guardian review, but I did find an interview he did with them as part of his press junket for the album and there's not a single mention of racism either.

There's not much online - but I did notice a lot of pointed references to his Englishness - which in the context of Britpop is eyebrow raising. Also there's nothing particularly English about Maladjusted beyond a couple of place names.

So a definite slant that he's finished & suspiciously nationalistic.

The Guardian did the same thing with Quarry.

Certainly, the paper-thin caricature Englishness of much of Maladjusted is likely to go down much better with Americans, for whom the title-track's mentions of the Fulham Road and "a Stevenage overspill" might yet retain a little declasse glamour.

There's not much online - but I did notice a lot of pointed references to his Englishness - which in the context of Britpop is eyebrow raising. Also there's nothing particularly English about Maladjusted beyond a couple of place names.

So a definite slant that he's finished & suspiciously nationalistic.

The Guardian did the same thing with Quarry.

Certainly, the paper-thin caricature Englishness of much of Maladjusted is likely to go down much better with Americans, for whom the title-track's mentions of the Fulham Road and "a Stevenage overspill" might yet retain a little declasse glamour.

I’m not interested in your goalpost adjustment. You can go ahead and try to find the most abstract interpretation of anything to fit your hypothesis, but I’m done paying attention.

Not to mention that there’s plenty English about the album.

I’m not interested in your goalpost adjustment. You can go ahead and try to find the most abstract interpretation of anything to fit your hypothesis, but I’m done paying attention.

Not to mention that there’s plenty English about the album.

I'm not moving the goal posts.

The UK was saturated with parochial pop in 97 - that reviews would single him out for Englishness is peculiar.

What is English on Maladjusted?

You could add Soho, English frowning from Trouble & at an absolute stretch old city if it's assumed it's Manchester or London on Heir Apparent. And that's it. Not a caricature in sight.

:popcorn:
The big fight is now on day three
With a straight face, we’ve now moved on from “every review of Maladjusted mentioned racism” to Nerak feigning suspicion as to what ulterior motives someone must possess to refer to Morrissey as “English.”

I’m happy to surrender to her, she has the dearth of integrity required to stand in the pouring rain and tell you it’s sunny. I don’t.

Looks like we have a winner.....

In the blue corner

The jock who likes to shock

It’s ..... Neeeeeeeeeeerreerak👊👊

With a straight face, we’ve now moved on from “every review of Maladjusted mentioned racism” to Nerak feigning suspicion as to what ulterior motives someone must possess to refer to Morrissey as “English.”

I’m happy to surrender to her, she has the dearth of integrity required to stand in the pouring rain and tell you it’s sunny. I don’t.

They've picked out caricature Englishness as a negative aspect of Maladjusted - & there isn't any.

The only review you posted mentioned Finsbury & slagged him off relentlessly.

Most of the UK reviews aren't online.

His career was bleak in the late 90s. Racism does come up frequently in the NME & the idea that the Englishness in his writing is a bad thing is clearly starting to gain ground.

As for the rest 🙄

Back
Top Bottom