NME: "Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! - Boy George" - Morrissey mentions (November 20, 2020)

Boy-George-Nov-2020-by-Dean-Stockings-02USE--1392x885.jpg

Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – Boy George

In Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?!, we quiz a grizzled artist on their own career to see how much they can remember – and find out if the booze, loud music and/or tour sweeties has knocked the knowledge out of them. This week: Boy George.

...(relevant parts quoted only)...

Anyone who slagged you off that you had a laugh about it with later?

“I had tea with Morrissey in Paris in the early ‘80s and he called me ‘overbearing’.
At the time, I didn’t find it funny – now I do. I still love Morrissey and The Smiths even though I don’t love what he’s saying at the moment, but I put that into grumpy old man category. I saw him again years later and he was very sweet to me because I’d written something about how ‘Maladjusted’, one of his most critically-derided albums, is actually one of his best. He looked at me, raised an eyebrow and went: ‘’Maladjusted‘?’ (Laughs) I’m there quoting him lyrics trying to convince him it’s a f***ing great album!”

Bonus question! For a half-point: In 1985, Smash Hits readers voted you Prat of the Year. Name anyone else in the Top 10.
“Was Holly Johnson in it?”

CORRECT. Frankie Goes To Hollywood are at Number Eight – frontman Holly Johnson is also Number 12.

(Laughs) She’s going to kill me! Was George Michael in it as well?”

Yes – he’s second! The others are: Black Lace (3), Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran (4) Neil from The Young Ones (5), National Union of Mineworkers president Arthur Scargill (6), DJ Mike Read (7), Divine (9) and Morrissey (10).

“I’m in fabulous company! Divine and Morrissey alone fills me with joy. I’ve got a Divine tattoo on my arm. Before I was famous, I was on the King’s Road with Marilyn and we spotted Divine – in her civvies – and ran after her, gushing: ‘We love you!’. She was so sweet – and completely stoned! She did a concert at Heaven where she said onstage: ‘I need to get myself a new Rolls-Royce – so I can drive it over Boy George!’ (Laughs) I loved someone I admired mentioning me. It was a shame that when I became famous, she never knew what a massive influence she was in my life as a teenager.”

Full article:

Regards,
FWD.

I think both versions have their respective pros and cons. I listen to Maladjusted a lot but I usually make a playlist with my own 'album sequencing' because I need Roy's Keen on there, can't stand He Cried etc.

My current Moreadjusted tracklist looks like this:

Maladjusted
Alma Matters
Trouble Loves Me
Ammunition
Wide To Receive
Roy's Keen
Lost
I Can Have Both
This Is Not Your Country
Satan Rejected My Soul
Sorrow Will Come In The End

I also made my own cover.
Let's see the album cover.

Well, with I Am Not A Dog introducing so many electronic elements we should not be so surprised if Morrissey and Boy George get together for a collaboration album. It may be the sanest move in these insane times.
Moz and Gary Numan singing on a song by John Carpenter and OMD.

I think both versions have their respective pros and cons. I listen to Maladjusted a lot but I usually make a playlist with my own 'album sequencing' because I need Roy's Keen on there, can't stand He Cried etc.

Maladjusted
Alma Matters
Trouble Loves Me
Ammunition
Wide To Receive
Roy's Keen
Lost
I Can Have Both
This Is Not Your Country
Satan Rejected My Soul

This is Not Your Country is rubbish. So is, Sorrow will come in the end. Why isn't "The Edges are No Longer Parallel on it?

Maladjusted
Alma Matters
Trouble Loves Me
Ammunition
Wide To Receive
Roy's Keen
Lost
I Can Have Both
This Is Not Your Country
Satan Rejected My Soul

+1 for Roy's Keen. Just wonderful.
Same with Papa Jack.
Interestingly, both tracks derided by Moz. Error of judgement there I reckon.

'Just think of the goodwill
The ladder's a planet
Roy is a star, and
I am a satellite
But that's all right'
Interesting imagery and a rollicking tune, Roy's Keen is a better track than some would have you believe and should never have been left off the otherwise excellent reissue.
Agree. It's great. The lyrics are fantastic.
I think it's in part due to Morrissey's own misguided revisionism that so many don't seem to like it.

+1 for Roy's Keen. Just wonderful.
Same with Papa Jack.
Interestingly, both tracks derided by Moz. Error of judgement there I reckon.
I don't really care for Papa Jack. I don't mind it but it drags on a bit.

This is Not Your Country is rubbish. So is, Sorrow will come in the end. Why isn't "The Edges are No Longer Parallel on it?
Because I like This Is Not Your Country better and there are already enough slow songs on it.
Sorrow is absolutely essential as long as it's the closing track.

Let's see the album cover.
It's not something I put a lot of effort into creating, I just like this picture and thought it represents the title quite well.
And the original cover is one of his worst in my opinion.

Maladjusted-1_copy_1024x1025.png

Because I like This Is Not Your Country better and there are already enough slow songs on it.
Sorrow is absolutely essential as long as it's the closing track.
I've pondered TINYC many times & think it's a great song...BUT have struggled with the perspective..is Moz writing & singing from a southern Ireland (Eire) perspective?
If so, it makes no sense & is wildly inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great cover...but have to ask, as it seems overdue now...how's that book review coming along?
Don't push me, cookie. Don't you push me.

I've pondered TINYC many times & think it's a great song...BUT have struggled with the perspective..is Moz writing & singing from an southern Ireland (Eire) perspective?
If so, it makes no sense & is wildly inaccurate.
To me it seems quite clear. It's about Northern Ireland and directed at Britain, hence the references to "BBC scum".
I think it was originally titled "Belfast".

I like it because it's one of those songs that paint a very vivid picture in my head with just a few phrases. It's almost cinematic.

Don't push me, cookie. Don't you push me.
🎵 Why are we waiting, why are we waiting, why are we waiting?🎵
To me it seems quite clear. It's about Northern Ireland and directed at Britain, hence the references to "BBC scum".
I think it was originally titled "Belfast".

I like it because it's one of those songs that paint a very vivid picture in my head with just a few phrases. It's almost cinematic.
Clearly that's what it relates to, and that's what puzzled me, given Moz's family were Eirean as opposed to NI immigrants...Dublin as far as I'm aware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom