NME: "Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! - Boy George" - Morrissey mentions (November 20, 2020)

Boy-George-Nov-2020-by-Dean-Stockings-02USE--1392x885.jpg

Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – Boy George

In Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?!, we quiz a grizzled artist on their own career to see how much they can remember – and find out if the booze, loud music and/or tour sweeties has knocked the knowledge out of them. This week: Boy George.

...(relevant parts quoted only)...

Anyone who slagged you off that you had a laugh about it with later?

“I had tea with Morrissey in Paris in the early ‘80s and he called me ‘overbearing’.
At the time, I didn’t find it funny – now I do. I still love Morrissey and The Smiths even though I don’t love what he’s saying at the moment, but I put that into grumpy old man category. I saw him again years later and he was very sweet to me because I’d written something about how ‘Maladjusted’, one of his most critically-derided albums, is actually one of his best. He looked at me, raised an eyebrow and went: ‘’Maladjusted‘?’ (Laughs) I’m there quoting him lyrics trying to convince him it’s a f***ing great album!”

Bonus question! For a half-point: In 1985, Smash Hits readers voted you Prat of the Year. Name anyone else in the Top 10.
“Was Holly Johnson in it?”

CORRECT. Frankie Goes To Hollywood are at Number Eight – frontman Holly Johnson is also Number 12.

(Laughs) She’s going to kill me! Was George Michael in it as well?”

Yes – he’s second! The others are: Black Lace (3), Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran (4) Neil from The Young Ones (5), National Union of Mineworkers president Arthur Scargill (6), DJ Mike Read (7), Divine (9) and Morrissey (10).

“I’m in fabulous company! Divine and Morrissey alone fills me with joy. I’ve got a Divine tattoo on my arm. Before I was famous, I was on the King’s Road with Marilyn and we spotted Divine – in her civvies – and ran after her, gushing: ‘We love you!’. She was so sweet – and completely stoned! She did a concert at Heaven where she said onstage: ‘I need to get myself a new Rolls-Royce – so I can drive it over Boy George!’ (Laughs) I loved someone I admired mentioning me. It was a shame that when I became famous, she never knew what a massive influence she was in my life as a teenager.”

Full article:

Regards,
FWD.

View attachment 65814

Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – Boy George

In Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?!, we quiz a grizzled artist on their own career to see how much they can remember – and find out if the booze, loud music and/or tour sweeties has knocked the knowledge out of them. This week: Boy George.

...(relevant parts quoted only)...

Anyone who slagged you off that you had a laugh about it with later?

“I had tea with Morrissey in Paris in the early ‘80s and he called me ‘overbearing’.
At the time, I didn’t find it funny – now I do. I still love Morrissey and The Smiths even though I don’t love what he’s saying at the moment, but I put that into grumpy old man category. I saw him again years later and he was very sweet to me because I’d written something about how ‘Maladjusted’, one of his most critically-derided albums, is actually one of his best. He looked at me, raised an eyebrow and went: ‘’Maladjusted‘?’ (Laughs) I’m there quoting him lyrics trying to convince him it’s a f***ing great album!”

Bonus question! For a half-point: In 1985, Smash Hits readers voted you Prat of the Year. Name anyone else in the Top 10.
“Was Holly Johnson in it?”

CORRECT. Frankie Goes To Hollywood are at Number Eight – frontman Holly Johnson is also Number 12.

(Laughs) She’s going to kill me! Was George Michael in it as well?”

Yes – he’s second! The others are: Black Lace (3), Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran (4) Neil from The Young Ones (5), National Union of Mineworkers president Arthur Scargill (6), DJ Mike Read (7), Divine (9) and Morrissey (10).

“I’m in fabulous company! Divine and Morrissey alone fills me with joy. I’ve got a Divine tattoo on my arm. Before I was famous, I was on the King’s Road with Marilyn and we spotted Divine – in her civvies – and ran after her, gushing: ‘We love you!’. She was so sweet – and completely stoned! She did a concert at Heaven where she said onstage: ‘I need to get myself a new Rolls-Royce – so I can drive it over Boy George!’ (Laughs) I loved someone I admired mentioning me. It was a shame that when I became famous, she never knew what a massive influence she was in my life as a teenager.”

Full article:

Regards,
FWD.
A great character, but airbrushing much? He's 59, going on 29 in that photo.

Thank you.

You'd have to ask Morrissey. I used quotation marks because they are used on the original cover as well.
On every album up until and including Maladjusted.
Quite correct. And I’ve just re-seen the inexplicable coma in the Quarry title.

Quite correct. And I’ve just re-seen the inexplicable coma in the Quarry title.
It's because he is the quarry.

"Morrissey, you are the quarry "

"I have been quarry for so many years and people have taken so many pot-shots at me. So yes, I feel heavily bruised."

Is it possible for anyone to compliment Moz without adding a virtue signalling “But...”?

So many people today seem to equate "liking Morrissey" to "agreeing with everything he says" which is one of those generalizations. So it is expected that you add the "but..." sentence if you don't want to be associated with the far right.

So, is that the full title do you think?
It's a play of words. He has also given different answers when asked about the title but I think the purpose of the comma is to make it sound like a statement directed at him.

EDIT: It also explains why the "y" isn't capitalised on the cover.

The title is You Are The Quarry though.

Last edited:
Well more like 70's & 80's really. It just struck me as odd given his southerm Irish heritage, & the fact he would never have had any direct experience of NI happenings...but I take your point.

Most Irish Catholics feel connected to the situation even if they're just trying to ignore it.

Poor wee Bono got caught apparently fibbing about being beaten up by The Orange Order in his nice Dublin suburb. He's from a mixed family.

& one of my friends is a Northern Irish playwright, everyone in New York assumes he's a Catholic & sometimes he just ends up going along with it. He's Protestant (a Scottish actor got sacked for calling him a Hun).

It can be very weird.

It's because he is the quarry.

"Morrissey, you are the quarry "

"I have been quarry for so many years and people have taken so many pot-shots at me. So yes, I feel heavily bruised."

That sounds like a game show line, Tonight, Morrissey, you are the quarry.

That sounds like a game show line, Tonight, Morrissey, you are the quarry.
Except it's every night. Year in and year out. 😉

This pink hat is so much worse than anything I have seen on Morrissey's head.

I used to fancy Boy George's black hat in the early days when he still had the dreadlocks though.

Maladjusted was Morrissey's worst album and then he didn't record another for 7 years. Clearly the worst stretch of Morrissey's career.

Can someone remind me of what Morrissey said that got all the woke fans so upset? I'm going to take a guess and say it was probably something about defending British culture. Yes come to think of it, that would be enough to upset them. I wonder what drew these fans to Morrissey in the first place. Whatever the reason it definitely runs orthogonal to my reasons.

Can someone remind me of what Morrissey said that got all the woke fans so upset? I'm going to take a guess and say it was probably something about defending British culture. Yes come to think of it, that would be enough to upset them. I wonder what drew these fans to Morrissey in the first place. Whatever the reason it definitely runs orthogonal to my reasons.

It's not really that.

Bottom line, he's weird & that will generate media controversy.

When he was young it was the right who dominated tabloids & witch hunted celebrities.

Now it's the left who dominate clickbait & witch hunt celebrities.

Different side, same bullsh*t.

Cuts into his fanbase more but it's always limited his sales.

It's not really that.

Bottom line, he's weird & that will generate media controversy.

When he was young it was the right who dominated tabloids & witch hunted celebrities.

Now it's the left who dominate clickbait & witch hunt celebrities.

Different side, same bullsh*t.

Cuts into his fanbase more but it's always limited his sales.
I think we all have limited sales, don't we?

I think it is his open support of For Britain that got the woke upset.
And possibly his remark that people prefer their own race.

I think it is his open support of For Britain that got the woke upset.
And possibly his remark that people prefer their own race.
So basically certain truths that people aren't willing to admit to themselves for fear of losing woke credentials?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom