NME: "Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! - Boy George" - Morrissey mentions (November 20, 2020)

Boy-George-Nov-2020-by-Dean-Stockings-02USE--1392x885.jpg

Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – Boy George

In Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?!, we quiz a grizzled artist on their own career to see how much they can remember – and find out if the booze, loud music and/or tour sweeties has knocked the knowledge out of them. This week: Boy George.

...(relevant parts quoted only)...

Anyone who slagged you off that you had a laugh about it with later?

“I had tea with Morrissey in Paris in the early ‘80s and he called me ‘overbearing’.
At the time, I didn’t find it funny – now I do. I still love Morrissey and The Smiths even though I don’t love what he’s saying at the moment, but I put that into grumpy old man category. I saw him again years later and he was very sweet to me because I’d written something about how ‘Maladjusted’, one of his most critically-derided albums, is actually one of his best. He looked at me, raised an eyebrow and went: ‘’Maladjusted‘?’ (Laughs) I’m there quoting him lyrics trying to convince him it’s a f***ing great album!”

Bonus question! For a half-point: In 1985, Smash Hits readers voted you Prat of the Year. Name anyone else in the Top 10.
“Was Holly Johnson in it?”

CORRECT. Frankie Goes To Hollywood are at Number Eight – frontman Holly Johnson is also Number 12.

(Laughs) She’s going to kill me! Was George Michael in it as well?”

Yes – he’s second! The others are: Black Lace (3), Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran (4) Neil from The Young Ones (5), National Union of Mineworkers president Arthur Scargill (6), DJ Mike Read (7), Divine (9) and Morrissey (10).

“I’m in fabulous company! Divine and Morrissey alone fills me with joy. I’ve got a Divine tattoo on my arm. Before I was famous, I was on the King’s Road with Marilyn and we spotted Divine – in her civvies – and ran after her, gushing: ‘We love you!’. She was so sweet – and completely stoned! She did a concert at Heaven where she said onstage: ‘I need to get myself a new Rolls-Royce – so I can drive it over Boy George!’ (Laughs) I loved someone I admired mentioning me. It was a shame that when I became famous, she never knew what a massive influence she was in my life as a teenager.”

Full article:

Regards,
FWD.

Of all Morrissey's mad publicity, I'm currently finding this from last year the most extraordinary.

20201122_220819.jpg

If a ten ton truck...

e5e87b0ecb6a5d2614da8b1678f01101.gif

When I
I still remember getting the Roy's Keen single back in '97 & thinking how great those 2 b-sides were, that & 'Lost'. He always was a master of the B-Side.
When I bought that CD single I played the life out of it. I couldn't believe how strong those three songs were on one item.

Moz is a grumpy old racist who has but a year left in this world.

So basically certain truths that people aren't willing to admit to themselves for fear of losing woke credentials?
Brilliant point👍. I totally agree. Too many cowards scared to say what they think. Or they say the opposite to try & ‘boost’ their credentials.

Left wing ‘liberal’ white saviours.

When I

When I bought that CD single I played the life out of it. I couldn't believe how strong those three songs were on one item.
You bought it, I bought it...and it still only got to number 42!!!

Which I believe is the reason it wasn’t on the re-issue. If it had made the top 20, Moz would like it, trust me.

Boy's a great guy, always a pleasure. His autobiography ('Take it as a man') is plendid, by the way.

I’ve never, ever, seen this before.
It was recorded but the song never made it into the Top 30 singles so wasn't shown on Top Of The Pops at the time. It was finally broadcast on TOTP2 several years later with Mozzer's favourite DJ Steve Wright introducing it. It's a bit more upbeat tune than the recorded version, sounds great!

Interesting tracklist. Which cover do you prefer 🤔
Out of the two that were used for the official releases I prefer the redesigned edition but I posted the one I made a couple of pages back. Pre-race war.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom