Morrissey Central "Parlophone Records" (August 31, 2020)

unnamed.jpg

Parlophone Records will release a 7-inch version of Morrissey’s “That’s Entertainment” in October.
The recording is not the aborted version from 1994, but retains the original Morrissey vocal.New instrumentation and vocals have been added. The song is a cover version of the 45 issued by The Jam and written by Paul Weller.The flipside of the single is a re-mixed version of Morrissey and David Bowie dueting on Marc Bolan’s’Cosmic Dancer’. The live recording has been newly produced by Boz Boorer, and was recorded in Los Angeles.+ above photograph of Morrissey with his mother in Manchester, 1967.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as í can recall, Weller & Moz only conversed the one time, at one of the Red Wedge jolly boy outings?

Paul ~ "Just watch them f***in' flowers" was the backstage bon mots that fell from the Modfather's ciggie-hole.

{At least according to Moz in the Xmas issue of "Melody Maker" 1990}

As far as í can recall, Weller & Moz only conversed the one time, at one of the Red Wedge jolly boy outings?

Paul ~ "Just watch them f***in' flowers" was the backstage bon mots that fell from the Modfather's ciggie-hole.

{At least according to Moz in the Xmas issue of "Melody Maker" 1990}

Yeah, I mean he only said he doesn't like his music which is fair enough, I guess.
As for the silly comment about living in LA... it was everybody’s favourite thing to criticise him over for years. It still pops up regularly, 16 years after he sold his house in LA...

Just checked again, apparently there were other occasions where the two met, Morrissey even hoping for Paul to record a duet with him, but too shy to ask him in person - as usual:

"‘Hopefully we, Paul and I, will record a duet,’ said Morrissey, divulging his intention to perform with Weller at the August 1992 Madstock weekend at Finsbury Park. Weller became aware of this in the run-up to the event when he and Morrissey found themselves staying in the same hotel (sadly Weller can’t recall the exact location). Though they’d crossed paths several times before, Morrissey was characteristically cautious in his approach. One morning, Weller awoke to find a postcard slipped under the door of his room. The handwriting was Morrissey’s: ‘The thought of us on stage together is positively hallucinatory.’ When Weller tried to contact him in return, he was told Morrissey had already checked out."

Last edited:
Just checked again, apparently there were other occasions where the two met, Morrissey even hoping for Oaul to record a duet with him, but too shy to ask him in person - as usual:

"‘Hopefully we, Paul and I, will record a duet,’ said Morrissey, divulging his intention to perform with Weller at the August 1992 Madstock weekend at Finsbury Park. Weller became aware of this in the run-up to the event when he and Morrissey found themselves staying in the same hotel (sadly Weller can’t recall the exact location). Though they’d crossed paths several times before, Morrissey was characteristically cautious in his approach. One morning, Weller awoke to find a postcard slipped under the door of his room. The handwriting was Morrissey’s: ‘The thought of us on stage together is positively hallucinatory.’ When Weller tried to contact him in return, he was told Morrissey had already checked out."

I think Moz has that thing were you get so overexcited &/or dread-filled about a response that it's unbearable so you don't look or you leave.

It must annoy people who are expecting the usual go for a drink, tell anecdotes about it malarkey.

í must try and dig out that old "Melody Maker" piece. It was a tiny wee corner, part of a litany of pop star's lists of their 1990 highs for the Xmas double-issue. From what í recall Morrissey wasn't even cover listed, yet The Farm were; those were the days. He praised The Would-Bes & Vic Reeves, mourned the death of Sterling {not Stirling}, said "Hello B Bragg", and the Weller quote. Can't remember anything else, but that's not bad, considering í can't remember what í did yesterday.

In the meantime, and kinda on-topic, here are some era-appropriate cuttings...

Moz NME 9th March 1991..jpg

Moz Sing Your Life ad.jpg

First pic of The Lads, minus Boz ~

Morrissey early band 1991.jpg

Recording "Kill Uncle" dressed in his widow's weeds...

Moz Gino Sprio Hook End Oct 90.jpg

I don't have the Melody Maker piece but the Weller quote is mentioned in this all around brilliant Q Questionnaire from 1995 as well (?).

QquestionnaireJan95.jpg

Oh, maybe í am mixing my memories and mis-remembering the source of that Weller quote. Or maybe it was just a very touching moment for Moz, and he liked to recall it...

Incidentally, while the memory is working, many many summers ago í contacted Gino Sprio to enquire about buying prints of some of his "Kill Uncle" photography, and one of the shots he had was that "Sing Your Life" press ad. Apparently that is Moz performing what he termed his 'wobbily walk'...

í never did get a print. í was all set to buy and then all contact dried up :unsure:

Dusted off from the archive:

"... it was a completely worthless version. I wanted to make it different from the original, but maybe I shouldn’t have tried that. The original is a classic and Paul Weller is, when he wants to be, a genius. Hopefully we, Paul and I, will record a duet. I don’t know what song it will be yet."

- Morrissey on "That's Entertainment", Slitz, September, 1992.

(IIRC it is a translation).

Well, unless it's from a language that mis-translates 'gloriously dolorous version' into 'completely worthless version', M is plum duff wrong.

Oh, maybe í am mixing my memories and mis-remembering the source of that Weller quote. Or maybe it was just a very touching moment for Moz, and he liked to recall it...

Incidentally, while the memory is working, many many summers ago í contacted Gino Sprio to enquire about buying prints of some of his "Kill Uncle" photography, and one of the shots he had was that "Sing Your Life" press ad. Apparently that is Moz performing what he termed his 'wobbily walk'...

í never did get a print. í was all set to buy and then all contact dried up :unsure:

It's sound advice and one he's obviously taken to heart so I can imagine him quoting it again.

I'm sorry you never got your wobbily Moz print :(

It's sound advice and one he's obviously taken to heart so I can imagine him quoting it again.

I'm sorry you never got your wobbily Moz print :(

í think í actually wanted that microphone fondling shot by Gino. He had that too in his archive.
í recall that he only had the black and white shots from that session, which í was slightly deflated by, as the colour ones are the bomb.
He was offering to send me (for a fee) contact sheets of multiple rolls so that í could choose a print. One 16x20 was about £150. í was drooling at the prospect, and then...nowt.

í wonder if 15 years is too soon to try again...? Too pushy?

Did the Santa Monica Reporter really say that?????

Also - unlimited self-sabotage. So, so true.

According to Autobiography it was something he overheard, I'm not sure if there's surviving footage of this news bit.

"Bundled into the venue, I momentarily pass by a special room set aside for press reporters, and I see one very stately black man in an impressive suit speaking directly to a news camera.
‘Morrissey conveys all the worst elements of homosexuality and bestiality,’ and I wonder if he could possibly mean me. It is not enough, I note, to represent homosexuality fused with bestiality, but indeed I apparently convey all the very worst elements of both."

However (and this is going off on a tangent...), it's worth keeping in mind that the chronology in this section is particularly shambolic.

For instance, he didn't play Santa Monica in 1992.

Before recounting his unpleasant encounter with that news reporter, he talks quite a bit about the crowd storming the stage during his appearance at Pauley Pavilion, UCLA three days earlier.
He also didn't play UCLA in 1992 and he definitely couldn't have been singing You're The One For Me, Fatty when the "riots" started in 1991 (when he actually did play there), because he hadn't even birthed this lyrical masterpiece yet.
Anyway, I'm rambling.

Here's the UCLA "riots" covered by the LA Times (in 1991! Not 1992)

And here's a news bit mentioning some fans fainting after the Santa Monica show but no bestiality:

According to Autobiography it was something he overheard, I'm not sure if there's surviving footage of this news bit.

"Bundled into the venue, I momentarily pass by a special room set aside for press reporters, and I see one very stately black man in an impressive suit speaking directly to a news camera.
‘Morrissey conveys all the worst elements of homosexuality and bestiality,’ and I wonder if he could possibly mean me. It is not enough, I note, to represent homosexuality fused with bestiality, but indeed I apparently convey all the very worst elements of both."

However (and this is going off on a tangent...), it's worth keeping in mind that the chronology in this section is particularly shambolic.

For instance, he didn't play Santa Monica in 1992.

Before recounting his unpleasant encounter with that news reporter, he talks quite a bit about the crowd storming the stage during his appearance at Pauley Pavilion, UCLA three days earlier.
He also didn't play UCLA in 1992 and he definitely couldn't have been singing You're The One For Me, Fatty when the "riots" started in 1991 (when he actually did play there), because he hadn't even birthed this lyrical masterpiece yet.
Anyway, I'm rambling.

Here's the UCLA "riots" covered by the LA Times (in 1991! Not 1992)

And here's a news bit mentioning some fans fainting after the Santa Monica show but no bestiality:

He was singing "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful," which was getting early airings by that point in 1991.

He was singing "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful," which was getting early airings by that point in 1991.

Yes, in Autobiography he says he was singing You're The One For Me, Fatty though.

Those Hot Toddys have alot to answer for...

I hope you're referring to his patchy memory and not my extensive off-topic ramblings. :oops:

I have a terrible memory - also never give a date for anything. There are only 3 ages, Young, Your Mum & Dead.

I hope you're referring to his patchy memory and not my extensive off-topic ramblings. :oops:

You mean this place has...on...topic threads. It's all just rambling to me.

í once thought about a Hot Toddy. But í found í had no honey. Or lemon. or hot water. Just Johnnie Walker. Worked out just fine.

You mean this place has...on...topic threads. It's all just rambling to me.

í once thought about a Hot Toddy. But í found í had no honey. Or lemon. or hot water. Just Johnnie Walker. Worked out just fine.

I love a rum toddy in wintertime, but that's just rum with hot water.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom