Peru! Peru! My light’s hearthouse - Morrissey Central (28th Nov.)

New Morrissey Central quote about the gig:

Nov. 28th

Peru! Peru! My light’s hearthouse.

"I know very well that the world won't listen. But, Peru does. Tonight's audience in Lima made Beatlemania look like a Kraftwerk audience. I am blessed beyond words."
MORRISSEY.

45129_45128_0-4_mscvya.jpg

Features a crop of an Instagram image shared in the first page of this discussion.
<Waves at Sam>
FWD.

Last edited:
This figures, lots of Neo-Nazi's in South America, am I right or am I right Skinny? :lbf:

Yes. Brazil will drowned in shit next year. Bolsonaro is cancer but he'll rule my country under Trump signs -- the inspiration for all this crap. Far-right parties are up to us.

You can always bring up how well the Nazi party did in America. And how well it’s doing now...

The Nazi party was an European matter, so it's insulting for America (North or South) to be linked with such a political process. Even more when the two Americas welcomed the victims and refugees of WW2.

"My light's hearthouse". :D Morrissey is feeling very playful. Peru has been good for him.

One for Kraftwerk-solo?

Even Kraftwerk is solo now. I think only Hutter remains of the original lineup. It’s all getting a bit Drifters now, sadly. We’ll all get a chance to join.

As for South America I thought there have been a slew of ultra right-wing military dictatorships across the continent over the decades. Brazil, Argentina and Chile most famously in the sixties, seventies and eighties. Peru itself under Alvarado, Paraguay under Stroessner, Uruguay too. Didn’t one of Bolivia’s old dictators die earlier this year? Most of the continent seems to have suffered either hard right lunatics or hard left lunatics. No wonder Brazil has moved to London.

None quite plumbed the awful depths of the Nazis, but if you are being rounded up on the streets and murdered by men in military uniforms I doubt the distinction matters to you.

I blame the conquistadors. Bloody Spanish. Going around the world telling people what to do...

I quite like Kraftwerk but I've never been to a Kraftwerk concert so I can't comment on that. I do think Moz's comment is funny and is a reminder of his humour from the 80's. Barbed but playful. I like it.

p.s. I find some of Kraftwerk's songs emotional and warm, such as Neon Lights. To me, their definitive album is The Man Machine. I am also loving the Quantum Gate album by Tangerine Dream.

Then please go to a Kraftwerk site.
If Morrissey had 1/10th of the creativity or originality of Kraftwerk he would be a very lucky man. Kraftwerk, a band which always was and remains ahead of the curve, and actually puts effort into its live shows to put on the most interesting spectacle possible for its paying audience. Morrissey meanwhile, for the past nine or ten years has chugged through the dregs of his discography on-stage which tested the patience of even his most loyal supporters.

This is a man who has been going through the motions in 95% of his recorded output for the better part of 20 years and ran out of topics to write about some time around 1994. Imagine him coming up with an innovative concept like 'Kraftwerk 3D', a radical reimagining of his past music, for his own live shows; implausible because he's content to put in the least amount of effort possible as long as enough people are willing to shell out their hard earned money to see the decreasing amount of live dates he puts on every year. But the recent cancelled European tour suggests that's not quite the cash cow it used to be.

Kraftwerk remain highly regarded and retain their air of mystery and intrigue which they've been cultivating since the early 1970s -- something Morrissey had built up too to an extent but carelessly chucked away about ten years ago. Now he could just as easily be a tabloid journalist and has all the credibility of someone like Piers Morgan. He'd have a lot in common today with 'Tony the Pony', a man whom he despised 30 years ago. Next time he's performing in Tel Aviv he should bring Katie Hopkins on stage to duet with him on the song 'Israel'.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that Morrissey will be a footnote in the musical history books, whereas Kraftwerk will be regarded as one of the most influential bands of the 20th century. They were trail-blazers who inspired the creation of new genres of music -- 1980s new wave, techno/house music, a lot of early hip-hop, trip-hop, and so on, it all owes a debt of gratitude to Kraftwerk. You could probably sit here and list hundreds of musicians who were directly influenced by Kraftwerk -- from Bowie's Berlin trilogy all the way through to Daft Punk or Calvin Harris today.

What did Morrissey inspire? David Cameron apparently, but what else? Misanthropy. Glamorizing childlessness, solitude, bridge burning and schizoid behaviour. Devotion to celluloid and vinyl over human relationships. And an army of bequiffed clones/tossers with an inflated sense of their own self-importance like Morrissey. As for musically: Marr was the influential one. Hardly anything Morrissey inspired stood the test of time, just the odd band here and there like Suede who distanced themselves from him a long time ago.

For an out of shape 59 year old man with a comb-over to state that one of his recent live performances was bigger than Beatlemania is beyond sad. Can you visualise what Morrissey's reaction would have been if in the mid to late 1990s a 60 year old Paul Anka, during the period he started performing a slowed down version of Smells Like Teen Spirit (the sort of thing Morrissey will be doing soon on 'California Son') had stated that his audience reactions were more impassioned than The Beatles' audience reactions during the height of Beatlemania? He rightly would have mocked him for his delusionality, which is exactly what we should be doing to Morrissey now.

(I mentioned late career Paul Anka because that's the sort of artist I'd be more inclined to mention in the same breath as Morrissey today, or maybe Pat Boone, rather than Kraftwerk, David Bowie, or The Beatles. No disrespect intended to Paul or Pat, I'm certain their audiences remain more enthusiastic than Morrissey's to this day. And at least Paul has 'My Way' under his belt, a song which will still be sung at wedding receptions, birthday parties and funerals, long after Morrissey's name has faded from memory.)

I quite like Kraftwerk but I've never been to a Kraftwerk concert so I can't comment on that. I do think Moz's comment is funny and is a reminder of his humour from the 80's. Barbed but playful. I like it.

p.s. I find some of Kraftwerk's songs emotional and warm, such as Neon Lights. To me, their definitive album is The Man Machine. I am also loving the Quantum Gate album by Tangerine Dream.

I was reading that Bowie invited them to support him on his Station To Station tour but they turned him down.

In the late seventies there was a truly terrible TV talent show - New Faces, I think - and one group won it for weeks by nicking from other acts. One week it would be a Beatles rip off, the next rockabilly, then country and so on. One week they stole The Robots. At the time I didn’t know what the hell it was. Then The Model got to number one here - twice - and that was the first time I had heard of Kraftwerk, although they’d made it on to the BBC’s flagship spreading jam on a CD programme...

A genuinely great and hugely influential band. That few years between Computer Love and Tour de France was my favourite. I tried to get tickets to see them when they did shows at Tate Modern a few years ago, but like Led Zeppelin at the O2 I don’t think many real people got in.

A Kraftwerk concert is certainly 100 times more enjoyable and positive than any Moz concert. Have seen both and I’m 100% certain my opinion is correct.

Even Kraftwerk is solo now. I think only Hutter remains of the original lineup. It’s all getting a bit Drifters now, sadly. We’ll all get a chance to join.

As for South America I thought there have been a slew of ultra right-wing military dictatorships across the continent over the decades. Brazil, Argentina and Chile most famously in the sixties, seventies and eighties. Peru itself under Alvarado, Paraguay under Stroessner, Uruguay too. Didn’t one of Bolivia’s old dictators die earlier this year? Most of the continent seems to have suffered either hard right lunatics or hard left lunatics. No wonder Brazil has moved to London.

None quite plumbed the awful depths of the Nazis, but if you are being rounded up on the streets and murdered by men in military uniforms I doubt the distinction matters to you.

I blame the conquistadors. Bloody Spanish. Going around the world telling people what to do...

Those you name were military dictatorships that took the power by force, they didn't win elections backed by political parties, they were supported by foreign agencies and everybody knows it. The only cases of elected racists until now are Trump and Bolsonaro. A huge self criticism should be done by traditional politicians for being responsible of throwing people in those hateful arms. Imagine how immense is the lack of political alternatives and how serious the situation must be so that common people found themselves forced to vote for such obviously bad persons.

A Kraftwerk concert is certainly 100 times more enjoyable and positive than any Moz concert. Have seen both and I’m 100% certain my opinion is correct.

Lucky you that can enjoy it, I can't imagine to remain in one of those concerts... awake. But I wish I could, they look cool. Maybe too cool.

There are nearly 20000 Brazilians in Dublin allegedly. When I was there last year the air B n B we stayed at was hosted by Brazilians -who picked us up from the airport and then invited us into their auntie's birthday party whilst they dropped her cake off.
It was all quite surreal tbh

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom