Peter Hook: "I am an object of hate on the Morrissey fan club site"

Peter Hook on "Morrissey"-Q&A-Substance: Inside New Order-book tour-JCCSF-Feb 4, 2017-Joy Division - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is yet more evidence that music is truly dead and buried. I cannot for the life of me get how people in 2017 can discuss music at all. That thing called music is over and was replaced by what some call music but it is of course not music. You can instead call them items of commerce.

It is used to sell and promote various commercial products but also lifestyle items and values. Hooky and JD and NO are dead without knowing it but at the graveyard they have a lot of friends.

The era when music meant something was a nice time to live and I feel so sorry for the kids these days struggling to make any sense of the time they live in. Now is not the time to be a kid and focus on childish things like music and concerts. The time we live in is all about becoming someone and copy your parents as much as you can.

There is no alternative lifestyle for the losers who cannot make it and I am glad I am not in that competition but it sure is fun to watch the competitors weep on their way home as they move like zombies through the store to buy something to eat before it is time to weep again so that they can finally fall asleep again.
The good news is that great music and books never die and can be enjoyed for years to come. Besides, there is still some good music being created. Suede, New Order, Paul Weller etc are still making great music. They won't live forever but neither will we.

What does that mean? :squiffy:
Is it shorthand for ditto? But it can't be, there are the same amount of characters! It must be something American.
And it's a very short post anyway Scanty, for you. :o
I hope you are okay?! :eek:

:lbf: Sweet Quando! <3 Yes! The same number of characters! But only one syllable! For when I haven't been moved enough to consider that I should be making the effort to expend two. :lbf:

Also it goes without saying that I wasn't agreeing with the bolded part. I was agreeing that I would never want to share a car trip with those CDs. That is mostly a joke - my saying that I only felt like using one syllable. Mostly. But I do say ditts in real life. Doesn't really matter that other people never usually seem to know what's going on. Because when on earth do other people ever really know what's going on around them anyway? Never. :lbf: :dancers::dancers::dancers:

Now I need some iced coffee. And that costs me way more than one syllable's effort to get, or to make. I'm all done laughing now. :straightface:
Until this profound and unsettled tristesse finds a resolution.

The National?? The National???
Thats your ace in the hole? The National blows chunks.

What the f*** are you going on about? Have you ever heard of a band called The National, musics not dead, perhaps you are and don't realise it?

I think when people say 'music is dead' they are thinking of bands like The National.

Don't you mean, in your opinion? So who do you rate?

Most modern music is dismissible at best.
In the 'rock pop alternative indie' genre there's not much out there to rate, which may be why people who like that genre of music like these bands, not much choice. In 2017 there's not much choice if one has raised their ear on music of a bygone era. But I'm always looking, I hear bits of things that I like about some of the music being made now, but not the artists whole output, just little flashes of interesting things that don't hold my interest for very long. I have more hope in
some hip hop and the experimental music being made these days, where people are going out of their way to bring something new to the table, troublemakers basically.

Most modern music is dismissible at best.
In the 'rock pop alternative indie' genre there's not much out there to rate, which may be why people who like that genre of music like these bands, not much choice. In 2017 there's not much choice if one has raised their ear on music of a bygone era. But I'm always looking, I hear bits of things that I like about some of the music being made now, but not the artists whole output, just little flashes of interesting things that don't hold my interest for very long. I have more hope in
some hip hop and the experimental music being made these days, where people are going out of their way to bring something new to the table, troublemakers basically.

Wonder if our parents said the same thing?

Wonder if our parents said the same thing?

probably, though the big difference here is that I'm still searching and create music of my own, which is why I don't have a great need to look to others for my happiness.

Generally, Morrissey speaks English and the words he uses can be found in a dictionary but for this one aspect of his life he uses a word that he has invented. Of course all language is an invention but he didn't invent his own language. It's not like he speaks a dialect of Klingon. So, no, I don't take this word seriously.
And I wouldn't care if he hadn't, how does Brummie Boy say it... "co-opted queer culture for commercial purposes" (Forgive me BB, I might not have the quote exactly correct),

aunt nell !

One needs to invent if all else fails to work for them. So it's not a question of a word being 'legit' or not.

All artists 'co-opt', it is a part of being creative. Morrissey steals, lesser 'artists' only borrow.

bona nochy !
:tiphat:

Last edited:
Hearing the Huddersfield fans sing "Ince will year you apart" today as he was subbed late on was very heart warming and tells you a lot about what a great impact the music of JD still has compared to the current music no one cares about.

I don't think americans know how little mancunians care about what people say about them. That place has always been fighting the odds and against hardship home and away. No wonder they have such banter and humour and also offer such endless love to the people they get to know that they like.

I know Hooky could not care less what people thinks cause he was in a band with a cult status that is second to none. He's not got time for kids trying to rewrite that past to fit their small minded agendas.

I bet he would urge them to become something on their own instead of spending time fighting windmills with a fork.

Mike Joyce?

HA HA awwwww very funny, u know exactly who were on about.

But anyways , I quite like new orders music, nice bass and synthersizers.

Im an 80s kid, grew up on yazoo, soft cell, depeche mode, tompson twins, eurythmics, kate bush, duran duran, spando ballet ect ect ect all good music from the 1980s with nice deep bass punch and rythmic syinthersizers and keyboards !!!! The 80s music still stands the test of time even today!

Then the smiths appeared on top of the pops and I was hooked for life and Ive never looked back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just loved morrissey instantly, his words and music spoke 2 me on deep spiritual level, but then of course, miss Young appeared on stage live in concert when we were at a morrissey concert a few years ago kindly singing and playing the keyboards, was a fantastic set ! and I was instantly hooked 4 life 2!!! LOL :) so emediatly ordered all her CD albums directly of her website, 2 make sure she got the royalties which she deserves, but are they any good?

I promice you her earlier music Is simply wonderfull you will be so so surprised..... you will not be disapointed ! PROMICE !

But Im listeing 2 "blue monday" now on u tube, really good stuff ! :) WONDERFULL synths !!!

I love both New Order and The Smiths/Morrissey
I have just finished reading Hooky's latest book - Substance ( Story of New Order).
An interesting read to say the least - very sad to read of the acrimony that existed in the band for the majority of their time together .
Also didn't quite realise how much they lived the "sex, drugs and rock n roll" lifestyle.
It also however has to be said there is a shaggy dog element to some of the stories and I think this Rob Gretton/Moz one falls into that.

On a different note seems Hooky has slept with 2 women Moz was close to .
Ruth Polsky who sadly died in 1986 and also Gill Smith who was The Smiths PR person. If you recall from Autobiography , Gill made advances to Moz but he dithered by which time she had moved on . Hooky says she was into S and M etc and also very friendly with Billy Mackenzie of The Associates

probably, though the big difference here is that I'm still searching and create music of my own, which is why I don't have a great need to look to others for my happiness.

Is there anywhere we can hear this music of yours? Soundcloud maybe??
I've literally never heard you say anything good about another artist or band apart from Morrissey, so I'm assuming your own music must be fantastic....no?

I've literally never heard you say anything good about another artist or band apart from Morrissey, so I'm assuming your own music must be fantastic....no?
Is there any way you could be more of a smart arse?

that's funny, ketamine_suns posts read like a compendium of what's good out there. i think you mean she never says anything good about artists who've f***ed over morrissey, which is much a different thing than never saying anything good about artists--other than morrissey--in general.

Bullshit and it is not true anyway.
She has a very broad taste in music and posted an enormous amount of music from artists she really likes.
To name a few, Marc Bolan, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, Nico, The Fall, Scott Walker and that are only the well-known.

She also posted very interesting stuff from other unknown artists.
By the way, if you would be critical and have your own taste, I wouldn't ask you to let me hear your music first.
What's the point? Then we could all stop exchanging opinions, tastes and discussions.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom