Peter Hook mentions Mike Joyce in recent interview

peter hook interview: power, corruption & lies. - Skiddle.com

Excerpt:

You mentioned Rob Gretton and Tony Wilson, God rest their souls. If they were still alive do you think this rift between you and your former friends would ever have got so wide? Don't you think they would have just banged your heads together, the lot of you?

You know what, every day I wake up I wish somebody would. Because it is the most stupid waste of time and effort. As Peter Saville said to me recently “You and Bernard have dragged Joy Division and New Order into the desert where nothing grows. I hope you're proud of yourselves”. And I thought “Shit”. But the thing is, pride and ego have a lot to do with these things.

What they did to me, by taking the name and by doing it all behind my back and then deciding how much I should get, after 31 years work, it just wasn't fair, the way they did it.

What I'm fighting for is fairness, a bit of justice. In divorce cases you don't get one side telling the other what they're getting, do you? You're supposed to work together and I supposed that after 31 years – and I think I can safely say that New Order wouldn't have been the same without my input – you deserve a little respect.

Barney's beef with me is to do with The Hacienda and me playing Joy Division. In a way it's just a childish way of getting your own back. But, you've got to fight. If you don't fight, you die, don't you?

Were they around, what could Rob and Tony do to resolve it?

You know, if we got together, me, Barney, Steve and Gillian, we could probably resolve it, but it's just that you don't get to do that because of how the system works once it goes to lawyers and is all legal.

They don't want you to get together, they want to keep you separate, paying their wages. I've seen Mike Joyce in the past few weeks and he said to me, a while ago, that the worst thing he's ever been through in his life was the legal fight he had with The Smiths.

He said “I don't envy you”. It's an awful thing to go through. I'd never recommend it to anybody. But, unfortunately, I'm stuck in it and I'm not the kind of person who gives up easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it's too late to regret all that thing. Morrissey hates him and the only person to lose any thing in all this story is Joyce himself. Moz is alive and acting.

I think mike joyce regrets it now because if they left om good terms and everything was fine then there would be a chance of a reunion world tour where he could have made five times the 3 million he had collected at the time of autobiography going to press.hindsight is a wonderful thing,or is it.

I don't know if it's just bad blood with the members stopping a reunion happening. Moz just really doesn't seem that into the idea. Hook also really annoys me

having read autobiography again the hate mozz has for joyce runs really deeply,would you forgive someone who tried to snatch your mums and your sisters house through greed.i know I couldn't.P S,I ACTUALLY FORGOT HOW FUNNY AUTOBIOGRAPHY WAS,SO MANY FUNNY LINES.forgot as well about the girl that was murdered after going to see mozz,so sad.

having read autobiography again the hate mozz has for joyce runs really deeply,would you forgive someone who tried to snatch your mums and your sisters house through greed.i know I couldn't.P S,I ACTUALLY FORGOT HOW FUNNY AUTOBIOGRAPHY WAS,SO MANY FUNNY LINES.forgot as well about the girl that was murdered after going to see mozz,so sad.

Yeah I agree it would be a difficult thing to forgive. He had the opportunity to just do a him and marr tour of smith songs. Or at least an offer. I wonder how marr would feel about that and if he'd, marr, would do a reunion like that. Wonder how people would feel about just not including Joyce. It's also fun to wonder who they'd get to replace Andy and mike if they did do a tour of just the two of them. Would they be known or unknown

Yeah I agree it would be a difficult thing to forgive. He had the opportunity to just do a him and marr tour of smith songs. Or at least an offer. I wonder how marr would feel about that and if he'd, marr, would do a reunion like that. Wonder how people would feel about just not including Joyce. It's also fun to wonder who they'd get to replace Andy and mike if they did do a tour of just the two of them. Would they be known or unknown

Mike Joyce could play the pity card, like the character in a novel I recently read. He could stay outside Morrissey's Manchester hotel almost nude during an entire cold day until freezing and loss of conciousness. Then Morrissey woud carry Mike to his room, revive him, and they would have a resurrected out of pity relationship. That's possible. Maybe not. I thought the latter when I read the book, but I suppose it had to end at some point.
I know: off topic x 99

PS: feeling I'm like Rifke's tribute :D

PSbis: It's easy to blame the lawyers when you were a greedy person and then regret the consequences of your acts.

Last edited:
Very weird to see all you left wing marxist Moz fans here claim that Moz should not pay his staff for the work they put in for so many years working in a studio and going on tour. You are the same people demonstrating for equal pay and social rights, double standards much?

Very weird to see all you left wing marxist Moz fans here claim that Moz should not pay his staff That's kinda mbig the work they put in for so many years working in a studio and going on tour. You are the same people demonstrating for equal pay and social rights, double standards much?

That's kinda ambiguous and seems to make Mike Joyce a staff member instead of a lesser partner with no contract

That's kinda ambiguous and seems to make Mike Joyce a staff member instead of a lesser partner with no contract

So that means you are all for people working for free and believe Mike Joyce's contribution did not warrant him any sort of compensation. We all know Moz fought and lost this case and almost put his own mother on the street in the process.

I think mike joyce regrets it now because if they left om good terms and everything was fine then there would be a chance of a reunion world tour where he could have made five times the 3 million he had collected at the time of autobiography going to press.hindsight is a wonderful thing,or is it.

You must be joking. If Joyce hadn't taken Morrissey to court, he'd still be stringing him along with the tantalising prospect of a big Smiths reunion paypday...whilst never actually reforming the band and laughing all the way to the bank. Look -Morrissey has plenty of great artistic attributes, but one thing that shines through in his dealings with others throughout his career has been the fact that he is a penny-pinching miser when it comes to settling his bills with others.

At least Joyce managed to get the money Johnny owed him, and has presumably clawed back something of Morrissey's debt via royalties. I'm sure he'd rather have cash in hand, than f*** all cash, just a faint hope of a reunion cash-in sometime never.

So that means you are all for people working for free and believe Mike Joyce's contribution did not warrant him any sort of compensation. We all know Moz fought and lost this case and almost put his own mother on the street in the process.

You seem to be overstating in an effort to troll. If you can explain where i said that In my two line response I'll continue talking Otherwise I see this as a waste of time

From what I sense on Twitter, Mike Joyce seems to be good people. He even looks to be a fan of Morrissey's solo work. I think a lot of the criticism and mocking by Moz fans has dragged on for long enough, Morrissey's hatred for him is huge enough as it is. Then again, maybe I only feel this way because he is the only Smiths member that has replied to any of my tweets! :D

You seem to be overstating in an effort to troll. If you can explain where i said that In my two line response I'll continue talking Otherwise I see this as a waste of time

Defending Moz is a waste of time as he tried to withhold money from those that effectively worked for him and he was prepared to take it as far as to almost making his mother lose her home. Some of us know the full story that was closely followed by media at the time.

From what I sense on Twitter, Mike Joyce seems to be good people. He even looks to be a fan of Morrissey's solo work. I think a lot of the criticism and mocking by Moz fans has dragged on for long enough, Morrissey's hatred for him is huge enough as it is. Then again, maybe I only feel this way because he is the only Smiths member that has replied to any of my tweets! :D

I thought what he did with suede was nice as well. I don't hate Joyce but I can understand why moz does. Really though I don't think about it much

I thought what he did with suede was nice as well. I don't hate Joyce but I can understand why moz does. Really though I don't think about it much

Yet you comment on something you never really studied and if you did you would realise how evil Moz is and that he lost the case and will never get over it as if he forever flashes a big L on his forehead like anyone who lost a court case.

Hard to take for a man that pretends to be classy.

The two cases are not comparable. Joyce sued in order to get the share of royalties you would normally expect as the drummer in a band. Hooky got an equal share of everything while he was in JD/NO, then he left and he still gets royalties for records he's not on and gigs he doesn't turn up to, on top of his songwriting and back-catalogue royalties. Nice of Mike to say he doesn't envy him, but he'd be well within his rights if he did.

The two cases are not comparable. Joyce sued in order to get the share of royalties you would normally expect as the drummer in a band. Hooky got an equal share of everything while he was in JD/NO, then he left and he still gets royalties for records he's not on and gigs he doesn't turn up to, on top of his songwriting and back-catalogue royalties. Nice of Mike to say he doesn't envy him, but he'd be well within his rights if he did.

I thought sumner was pretty good to him in his and didn't talk much about which was enjoyable

From what I sense on Twitter, Mike Joyce seems to be good people. He even looks to be a fan of Morrissey's solo work. I think a lot of the criticism and mocking by Moz fans has dragged on for long enough, Morrissey's hatred for him is huge enough as it is.

The hatred from some fans is very OTT when the case has been examined in a court of law, and judged in Joyce's favour. There are a substantial number of Morrissey fans - not all, but a substantial number - who adore their idol so much that they will support him unquestioningly no matter what he says. I swear there are people out there who, if Morrissey turned round tomorrow and said he'd had a change of heart, and actually he loved the Royal Family, and eating meat in moderation was a good thing, they'd instantly change their views to match his own.

i really feel like morrissey and mike joyce should just sit down and have a long talk about what happened, see where each other is coming from. i really think they'd both feel better about it. i cant imagine holding onto so much resentment so long after the fact. it'd be nice if they could do that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom