Morrissey Central "PLEASE LISTEN AGAIN (DUB)" (May 29, 2021)

DUB SUNDAY !

VIVA MOZ !!!

MOZ ETERNAL !!!

:thumb:

He has a short memory, he hated this sort of shit in 1986.

No, he didn't, but also & thankfully we're all allowed to change our minds and like whatever the f*** we want.

No, he didn't, but also & thankfully we're all allowed to change our minds and like whatever the f*** we want.

Morrissey 1986 — “Reggae, for example, is to me the most racist music in the entire world. It's an absolute total glorification of black supremacy... I don’t have very cast iron opinions on black music other than black modern music which I detest. I detest Stevie Wonder. I think Diana Ross is awful. I hate all those records in the Top 40 – Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston. I think they’re vile in the extreme... Obviously to get on Top Of The Pops these days, one has to be, by law, black,” he told Melody Maker.

Morrissey 1986 — “Reggae, for example, is to me the most racist music in the entire world. It's an absolute total glorification of black supremacy... I don’t have very cast iron opinions on black music other than black modern music which I detest. I detest Stevie Wonder. I think Diana Ross is awful. I hate all those records in the Top 40 – Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston. I think they’re vile in the extreme... Obviously to get on Top Of The Pops these days, one has to be, by law, black,” he told Melody Maker.

Oh, I'm very familiar with that 'article'...
Where does he say that he hates reggae or dub music though?

In fact, it's no secret that he likes reggae, as is well documented via his pre-show tapes.

Guardian, 2004:

Screenshot_20210529-175842_Drive.jpg

Definitely sounds absolutely sincere and not tongue-in-cheek at all!

Surface only sees the surface. Going deeper now, well, it’s Morrissey being Morrissey, refusing to play the game, refusing as usual to give interviewers the polite and expected answer.

KICKING AWAY FROM THE MUNDANE EVERYDAY’

Haters are blind and Morrissey is a language they just can’t read.

VIVA MOZ !!!

:thumb:

Oh, I'm very familiar with that 'article'...
Where does he say that he hates reggae or dub music though?

In fact, it's no secret that he likes reggae, as is well documented via his pre-show tapes.

Guardian, 2004:

View attachment 72741
He didn’t. Girlfriend in a Coma was based on this sort of thing. Lovely.

He wasn't saying he hated Reggae - Frank Owen had accused Indie of being racist & Black Pop of being Indie's commercial rival, but the exact question isn't in the article so the reply is all over the place:

“Reggae, for example, is to me the most racist music in the entire world. It’s an absolute total glorification of black supremacy… There is a line when defence of one’s race becomes an attack on another race and, because of black history and oppression, we realise quite clearly that there has to be a very strong defence. But I think it becomes very extreme sometimes… But, ultimately, I don’t have very cast iron opinions on black music other than black modern music which I detest. I detest Stevie Wonder. I think Diana Ross is awful. I hate all those records in the Top 40 – Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston. I think they’re vile in the extreme. In essence this music doesn’t say anything whatsoever.”

By the bye, it's also a lot milder than the version that gets pull-quoted.

@Thewlis appears to be correct:

Johnny Marr and Morrissey were both fans of Bob and Marcia's 1970 reggae tune "Young, Gifted and Black" Marr told The Observer in 2013: "We bonded over a lot of records, but we both loved that song in the same way at the same time. And that's very likely to be the thing that inspired the music for 'Girlfriend in a Coma.'"

Johnny Marr and Morrissey were both fans of Bob and Marcia's 1970 reggae tune "Young, Gifted and Black" Marr told The Observer in 2013: "We bonded over a lot of records, but we both loved that song in the same way at the same time. And that's very likely to be the thing that inspired the music for 'Girlfriend in a Coma.'"

... as anyone with functioning ears can easily tell...

Come to think of it,
that Girlfriend In A Coma demo
had that feel to it.
Thewlis is right as rain.

Racist!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom