Post YOUR Collection Thread

I've never understood the reasoning behind this "must own everything" mindset. I have all the songs, so I don't need 12 different versions of You Are The Quarry. They'll never be played, so what's the point? Seriously, I'm not mocking, I'm just curious.

I feel the same, dazzak. One of each is enough for me and to answer your question, I think these people are obsessed but I might be wrong.

I've never understood the reasoning behind this "must own everything" mindset. I have all the songs, so I don't need 12 different versions of You Are The Quarry. They'll never be played, so what's the point? Seriously, I'm not mocking, I'm just curious.

You must question the psychology behind collecting itself. Similarly you could ask stamp collectors why they collect stamps that they'll never use on an envelope. Collecting is a strange thing, but don't look into it more than it just being a hobby. Some people hunt birds or other animals as a hobby, but collectors like hunting records (or books) because they think records (like books) are beautiful items. And the hunt itself is fun. You don't need to listen to the records, that's not the point.

Some people collect only song versions, others alternate artwork, others UK 12"s and LPs, others original pressings, others only valuable items and some collectors want every variation out there.

I'm used to having to explain the idea of collecting to non-collectors, but I must admit I'm always surprised as a completist collector to face incomprehension from other collectors who only want song versions or collect for value. I would think that as collectors they would understand other collectors who just happen to look for more items. But no, there are a few people in these forums who I know are collectors and regularly riducule or at least express their incomprehension towards completists. It always surprises me.

Stephane

Great thread, i haven't taken pictures of my collection, not that it's half as good as the ones shown so far, but a couple of things that hang above my P.C. First is a gold disc, (not official, i know)but interesting because of the number on the brass plaque. and secondly a display i made up after aquiring a signed promo photo. BTW i'm 42, first saw The Smiths in '85 in Chippenham, and next saw Moz at Oxford last May..... Where did the years go???

You must question the psychology behind collecting itself. Similarly you could ask stamp collectors why they collect stamps that they'll never use on an envelope. Collecting is a strange thing, but don't look into it more than it just being a hobby. Some people hunt birds or other animals as a hobby, but collectors like hunting records (or books) because they think records (like books) are beautiful items. And the hunt itself is fun. You don't need to listen to the records, that's not the point.

Some people collect only song versions, others alternate artwork, others UK 12"s and LPs, others original pressings, others only valuable items and some collectors want every variation out there.

I'm used to having to explain the idea of collecting to non-collectors, but I must admit I'm always surprised as a completist collector to face incomprehension from other collectors who only want song versions or collect for value. I would think that as collectors they would understand other collectors who just happen to look for more items. But no, there are a few people in these forums who I know are collectors and regularly riducule or at least express their incomprehension towards completists. It always surprises me.

Stephane

f*** yeah!!! Well said Stephane.
Now to comment on this topic, best one Ive read in a while. Russ, whats the story with the typewritter? Beau what size are them promo posters? They look hard core, smashing display, nothing like an obsesive fan. I LOVE IT. And am jealous, I wish my missus would let me put up my Moz/Smiths posters. But, theres noway shes having any of that all up round the house.
And to .X., you bad ass muther f***er, dapps to you. Are you in Tokyo?

Last edited:
howdy. i am not in tokyo(L.A. to be exact). i collect mostly Japanese items.

Rat bastard! You got a f*** off collection, cant even put it to words man, dapps!

Im in West Hollywood by the way, you?

It's like collecting baseball cards. Besides, I'm not going hungry buying this stuff. It's actually been a fairly sound investment, up to this point.

I don't understand how people can't understand it.

And with regards to "X", he's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. I doubt he will divulge the whereabouts of his secret bunker.

Last edited:
I was going through some of my mags etc Smiths/Moz related & found this one, it's a tad more unusual & it's got water damage ffs!
Picture031.jpg

love

Grim

yeah I actually remember seeing this guy at one of the shows in 95. I have some pics of him on his scoot.

excellent, is he still around the Moz scene & scooter scene then? Post the other pics it'd be nice to see the scoot.

cheers

love

Grim

I wish my missus would let me put up my Moz/Smiths posters. But, theres noway shes having any of that all up round the house.

I know exactly what you are saying there, my partner won't even hug me when i wear Moz t-shits. Sad but true. :(

Holy shit.

the whole promo CD-R/DVD-R phenomena :D
cdrs.jpg

i believe i am only missing 'no one can hold a candle to you'. anyone out there willing to part with one, i'll gladly pay $$$ for a copy.

Tags
whip 'em out
Back
Top Bottom