Question about Piccadilly Palare

I tried thinking about it, and immediately realised I haven't the faintest idea either. It's kind of the sort of verse you don't need to understand in context for it to make sense and have significance (It may all end tomorrow/or it could go on forever/in which case I'm doomed is surely a line anyone can relate to, in some way or other).

And anyway, the whole point with the lyrics to Picadilly Palare is that it is the musicality of words taken to perfection. ;)

cheers

I tried thinking about it, and immediately realised I haven't the faintest idea either. It's kind of the sort of verse you don't need to understand in context for it to make sense and have significance (It may all end tomorrow/or it could go on forever/in which case I'm doomed is surely a line anyone can relate to, in some way or other).

And anyway, the whole point with the lyrics to Picadilly Palare is that it is the musicality of words taken to perfection. ;)

cheers

A person what's British can maybe answer the Earls Court question best, I reckon, but I think I read somewhere that in the 70s Earls Court was a hangout for male prostitutes and such.

To your point about the musicality of the words: dead right, Qvist, dead right. Before I saw the lyrics I remember hearing "your lovely eek and your lovely riah" as "your lovely candelabra", which sounds much more amusing to my ears.

Johnny Marr used to live in Earls Court. :D

Are you suggesting that Marr went prowling for late night sex? Just curious. After all, the song is referenced to speakers of Polari and their where-abouts.

**Just finished a 10,000 research project on Polari so I'm fairly knowledgeable about it.

Are you suggesting that Marr went prowling for late night sex? Just curious. After all, the song is referenced to speakers of Polari and their where-abouts.

**Just finished a 10,000 research project on Polari so I'm fairly knowledgeable about it.

Very sad, you're the only one who didn't get the joke.

My spontaneous thought for this lyric was that Earl's Court is a profitable place for the "good buy" that Morrissey describes, so it makes him smile. I also think that this region is famous for its "good buys". The lyric "it all may end tomorrow or it could go on forever, in which case I'm doomed" made me think that "it" is the man's life. But generally, this is my view of the song. Morrissey's ambiguity is what makes his lyrics beautiful !

I used to hear "Love me, can't you love me, liar". Makes no difference really. :)

cheers

Earls Court is where male rent boys hung out, In your quote above, do you mean "With your lovely eek and lovely riah". Eek is a term for face and riah is hair backwards. Kinda slang...

Earls Court is where male rent boys hung out, In your quote above, do you mean "With your lovely eek and lovely riah". Eek is a term for face and riah is hair backwards. Kinda slang...

Yep, that is the line in question. I feel I can hardly be blamed for not getting that right before I had actually read the lyrics. :)

cheers

Obviously one reading is that this is the Piccadilly of London and the song is about rent boys.The other reading is Morrissey is using male prostitution as a metaphor for the music industry and that the Piccadilly in question is in fact the one in Manchester...

The lyric works as an extended metaphor for his time in The Smiths. The "ancient trade" is making music. His records are "on the rack" and "a reasonably good buy". "The boys in my gang" are The Smiths who shared their own "silly slang" and so on. Earls Court is where Marr had his flat then, of course.

The solo Morrissey is romanticising his time in the band and clearly pining for old gang ethos he used to have back then. Typically pessimistic, Morrissey suggests if his career goes on forever then he's "doomed".

Obviously one reading is that this is the Piccadilly of London and the song is about rent boys.The other reading is Morrissey is using male prostitution as a metaphor for the music industry and that the Piccadilly in question is in fact the one in Manchester...

The lyric works as an extended metaphor for his time in The Smiths. The "ancient trade" is making music. His records are "on the rack" and "a reasonably good buy". "The boys in my gang" are The Smiths who shared their own "silly slang" and so on. Earls Court is where Marr had his flat then, of course.

The solo Morrissey is romanticising his time in the band and clearly pining for old gang ethos he used to have back then. Typically pessimistic, Morrissey suggests if his career goes on forever then he's "doomed".

nice theory

I didnt get the "joke" either.Im still looking for it

It was just like Jackie Collins' favourite f***ing fanny lubrication.

It was a joke about Johnny Marr living in/near Earls Court and Moz writing about rent boys.

tells you that Morrissey's patterned shirt in the sex act picture with Jake might mean that he has a preference for frottage, or mutual masturbation or striptease in front of mirrors.
Which picture are you referring to?

Back
Top Bottom