Radio 2 Best Albums of the 1980's list (October 9, 2020)

And of course we still celebrate the music of Michael Jackson despite him being a disgusting pedophile. I guess everyone has to turn a blind eye because he was “black”? And his music is great, if you’re 11 years old and don’t know any better, otherwise it’s utter garbage.

And of course we still celebrate the music of Michael Jackson despite him being a disgusting pedophile. I guess everyone has to turn a blind eye because he was “black”? And his music is great, if you’re 11 years old and don’t know any better, otherwise it’s utter garbage.
Actually, the older I’ve got the more I’ve come to recognise how brilliant Jackson’s music was. Off The Wall is irresistible. And the film Moonwalker is ace.

At its best, Jacko’s music is a match for Morrissey’s. Nearly.

Seen an interview with Elton John recently when he said the 'music' in the charts today actually isn't music and that there should be a separate national chart that only includes real music by proper artists.
This should be a way forward to recognise quality music as it's not getting anywhere near the charts due to thousands of kids downloading shite by the bucket load.
absolutely,its not music as we know it.its computers making music and changing peoples voices so they sound better than they actually are.

Actually, the older I’ve got the more I’ve come to recognise how brilliant Jackson’s music was. Off The Wall is irresistible. And the film Moonwalker is ace.

yip off the wall is an amazing album,his performance at the mowtown 25 with the first ever live moonwalk was electric.

Hang tight! If you wait for a 90s list and Morrissey is anywhere near the top - regardless of the source or publication - this site will be filled with people exalting the accuracy of such things. The only argument against will come from the fact that he’s not #1 (except in Poland).

Fak Arf.

Spoken like the ear-wax addled, space-cadet you so apparently are. You’re not alone here. You all LOVE lists and half-baked charts, as long as they reflect your basic, tribalist point of view. Some here are musically cognoscente. I’ve seen some surprising commentary come from some of Morrissey’s most devout. Much respect for that. ...but most are just up his arse, like yourself. ...and amongst ALL of the great contributions made by THOUSANDS of amazing musicians and song-writers, you lot will go with:

Best record? VH, Bona or V&I

Greatest book of all time? List of the Lost, closely followed by Autobiography and then, obviously, The Bible (King James, of course) - cause he’s a devout Catholic.

Greatest show? London Battersea Power Station, December 13, 1997

Greatest show cancellation? Vegas 2021!
Best merch? Morrissey signed David Bowie record.

Best cheese? Kerrygold.

Best vodka? Whatever’s handy.

Best car? A Mini with a Morrissey bumper sticker.

If I’m off-base, I’d love to see your response. Show me something I don’t know. :)

W
yip off the wall is an amazing album,his performance at the mowtown 25 with the first ever live moonwalk was electric.
Was that when Michael was moon walking all over the place with his backside showing through a huge hole in his sparkly trousers? Oh no that was Michael Jackass in Bo Selecta...you say Bo, I say Selecta! 😀

absolutely,its not music as we know it.its computers making music and changing peoples voices so they sound better than they actually are.
...the f*** are you on about, Sunshine. You’ve spout like someone who hasn’t bought a record or seen a live band (besides Morrissey) in 30 years. You’re like that Guns and Roses fan who turned on commercial radio, quit following or buying REAL music and holed up with his highscool favourites in 1993 and then took on an internet campaign to try and convince others that the music died when YOU checked out.

Plenty of AMAZING bands and artists out there right now. You’re just too lazy too listen and too busy yapping.

Fak Arf.

...the f*** are you on about, Sunshine. You’ve spout like someone who hasn’t bought a record or seen a live band (besides Morrissey) in 30 years. You’re like that Guns and Roses fan who turned on commercial radio, quit following or buying REAL music and holed up with his highscool favourites in 1993 and then took on an internet campaign to try and convince others that the music died when YOU checked out.

Plenty of AMAZING bands and artists out there right now. You’re just too lazy too listen and too busy yapping.

Fak Arf.

What would be these great young bands you speak of?

Whilst it’s defining (for me) now of their music, when I heard The Fly for the first time it simply didn’t sound like U2. I’m speculating, but I suspect they’d been listening to New Order, The Happy Mondays, The Jesus & Mary Chain and certain Stone Roses tracks (Fools Gold direction especially) and used them as a creative guide. Whist Achtung Baby sounds like none of the aforementioned, the apparent synthesis of the ‘old’ Dylanesque U2 and disco friendly indie rock represents pop music’s high point for me.

The brilliant remixes which came out with the singles (of which there were loads) added life to the album and didn’t sound like they were draining it. Achtung Baby felt like a three year period of time, as much as a record.

U2’s need to keep changing also meant they left it behind. And there it stands, balanced perfectly between Rattle and Hum’s ugly rock god affectations and the grounding cul-de-sac irony of Zooropa.

It’s pristine. Still perfect.
The reason I asked is because when I'm not into a band and I hear someone only likes one album of theirs it's interesting to hear how and why said album attracts them. You had me interested to hear it when you referenced New Order, Mondays and the Roses as influences but apparently it didn't come through on the record. I may give it a listen to see what hit and what missed. Thanks.

Spoken like the ear-wax addled, space-cadet you so apparently are. You’re not alone here. You all LOVE lists and half-baked charts, as long as they reflect your basic, tribalist point of view. Some here are musically cognoscente. I’ve seen some surprising commentary come from some of Morrissey’s most devout. Much respect for that. ...but most are just up his arse, like yourself. ...and amongst ALL of the great contributions made by THOUSANDS of amazing musicians and song-writers, you lot will go with:

Best record? VH, Bona or V&I

Greatest book of all time? List of the Lost, closely followed by Autobiography and then, obviously, The Bible (King James, of course) - cause he’s a devout Catholic.

Greatest show? London Battersea Power Station, December 13, 1997

Greatest show cancellation? Vegas 2021!
Best merch? Morrissey signed David Bowie record.

Best cheese? Kerrygold.

Best vodka? Whatever’s handy.

Best car? A Mini with a Morrissey bumper sticker.

If I’m off-base, I’d love to see your response. Show me something I don’t know. :)
He raped little boys. Does that bother you at all??

He raped little boys. Doesn’t bother you??

How about he rapes your 11 year old son? That’s cool right? I can’t understand why society still celebrates this deranged pervert monster.

The song that defines the 80s is FGTH's Relax.

You never hear much about their album though.
Welcome to the Pleasuredome was indeed an event. I remember being on holiday in Newquay c.1985 and every other shop seemed to be selling a ‘Frankie Says...’ t-shirt.

How about he rapes your 11 year old son? That’s cool right? I can’t understand why society still celebrates this deranged pervert monster.
Errrm, Jackson’s dead. Or decomposing, to revive the old joke. My son’s safe—but I’ll pass on your concern.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom