Rank the 12 Morrissey studio albums

How come Bona Drag isn’t allowed on these things?

It was a compilation album so I think it's right not to include it. It's one of those weird compilation albums that Moz does that aren't really greatest hits albums or rarity compilations, but it's a compilation nonetheless.

1. Viva Racist
2. Racist and I
3. Ringleader of the Racists
4. Your Racist
5, You are the Racist
6, Years of Racism
7, Racism is None of Your Business
8, California Racist
9, Mala-racist
10, Racist in High School
11, Southpaw Racist
12, Racist Uncle

How come Bona Drag isn’t allowed on these things?
Because 2 songs were on a different album, or it was a quasi greatest hits, combo of the two or something else?

I was 13 when it came out so I wasn’t hip to tunes released as singles but once I got the album I listened to it A LOT.

So it’s my favorite.

Bona Drag was essentially "Best of the Morrissey singles (A-sides and B-sides)- 1988-1990". The songs were recorded at many different sessions, using several different songwriters, musicians and producers. In no meaningful way can it ever be considered a studio album.

1. Viva Racist
2. Racist and I
3. Ringleader of the Racists
4. Your Racist
5, You are the Racist
6, Years of Racism
7, Racism is None of Your Business
8, California Racist
9, Mala-racist
10, Racist in High School
11, Southpaw Racist
12, Racist Uncle

And who were those songs by?
Morracisty?

Bona Drag counts as an album for me. Too many important Moz tracks to not count BD as part of his solo legacy. Top 3 Moz album to me as well

Foolish reasoning. There are plenty of important songs on World Won't Listen and Hatful (that aren't on Queen is Dead, Strangeways, Smiths or Meat is Murder) but that doesn't make them studio albums.

Foolish reasoning. There are plenty of important songs on World Won't Listen and Hatful (that aren't on Queen is Dead, Strangeways, Smiths or Meat is Murder) but that doesn't make them studio albums.

Well Morrissey put it together and released it, sold a ton of copies and BD has some of his best solo material on it. It's an album to me just as Meet The Beatles is an album to me

Well Morrissey put it together and released it, sold a ton of copies and BD has some of his best solo material on it. It's an album to me just as Meet The Beatles is an album to me

Yes it is clearly an album - it just obviously isn't a 'studio album' (see name of this thread).
Sheesh.

Appreciate the insight. I’ve learned it as an album. And think there’s so many good songs, and possibly because of this, I like the order of the songs.

Having seem compilations and greatest hits as I’ve aged since, then learning this album is over an 18-24 months span with a combo of mostly not yet released tunes, and a few already released, it just feels different. Just too many great songs.

Having seem compilations and greatest hits as I’ve aged since, then learning this album is over an 18-24 months span with a combo of mostly not yet released tunes, and a few already released...

It wasn't just 'a few already released' - every track on Bona Drag had previously been released when it came out (the only vaguely exclusive track was the version of 'Will Never Marry', which had been edited and shortened from the previously issued version). It is a collection of Morrissey's first 7 solo singles, along with 7 B Sides. I agree that it does sound pretty cohesive, despite the varying band lineups and producers, so it's easy to see why people coming to it later might get confused, but it is clearly a compilation album. Then again, there are still people who think that 'Hatful of Hollow' is a bona fide Smiths studio album, rather than a compilation, so it's in good company.

LEADERBOARD (update) [minus Nikita]

1/ Vauxhall And I (154)
2/ Your Arsenal (149)
3/ Viva Hate (148)
4/ You Are The Quarry (129)
5/ Ringleader Of The Tormentors (90)
6/ Years Of Refusal (87)
7/ Low In High School (80)
8/ World Peace Is None Of Your Business (79)
9/ Maladjusted (69)
10/ California Son (65)
11/ Kill Uncle (63)
12/ Southpaw Grammar (58)

I have listened to California Son at last. It is good, really good. Might be higher in the ranking later, but right now just after Your Arsenal - I have edited my original post.

LEADERBOARD (update) [minus Nikita]

1/ Vauxhall And I (154)
2/ Your Arsenal (149)
3/ Viva Hate (148)
4/ You Are The Quarry (129)
5/ Ringleader Of The Tormentors (90)
6/ Years Of Refusal (87)
7/ Low In High School (80)
8/ World Peace Is None Of Your Business (79)
9/ Maladjusted (69)
10/ California Son (65)
11/ Kill Uncle (63)
12/ Southpaw Grammar (58)
YA is really doing very well here!
The top-4 is clear, as expected.

i'm bored so go on then

1 - Vauxhall
2 - Your Arsenal
3 - Ringleader
4 - World Peace
5 - Refusal
6 - Quarry
7 - Southpaw
8 - Maladjusted
10 - Viva Hate
11 - California Son
12 - High School

LEADERBOARD (update) [plus Nikita]

1/ Vauxhall And I (178)
2/ Your Arsenal (168)
3/ Viva Hate (162)
4/ You Are The Quarry (145)
5/ Ringleader Of The Tormentors (104)
6/ Years Of Refusal (100)
7/ World Peace Is None Of Your Business (99)
8/ Low In High School (85)
9/ California Son (75)
9/ Maladjusted (75)
11/ Kill Uncle (70)
12/ Southpaw Grammar (66)

1. Your Arsenal
2. Vauxhall and I
3. Viva Hate
4. Southpaw Grammar
5. You Are The Quarry
6. Years Of Refusal
7. World Peace Is None Of Your Business
8. Ringleader of the Tormentors
9. Low In High school
10. Maladjusted
11. Kill Uncle
12. California Son ( but I would put Bona Drag/Beethoven/any other of his releases before this one)

LEADERBOARD (update)

1/ Vauxhall And I (189)
2/ Your Arsenal (180)
3/ Viva Hate (172)
4/ You Are The Quarry (153)
5/ Ringleader Of The Tormentors (109)
6/ Years Of Refusal (107)
7/ World Peace Is None Of Your Business (105)
8/ Low In High School (89)
9/ Maladjusted (78)
10/ California Son (76)
11/ Southpaw Grammar (75)
12/ Kill Uncle (72)

Back
Top Bottom