Ranking The Moz Studio Albums

Vegan

Yeah yeah. Y'all have been here and done that but I have now gone thru all the albums and this is how I see it today:

1. Vauxhall And I
2. World Peace Is None of Your Business
3. Your Arsenal
4. Bona Drag
5. Years Of Refusal
6. You Are The Quarry
7. Southpaw Grammar
8. Ringleader Of The Tormenters
9. Viva Hate
10.Maladjusted
11.Kill Uncle

Yeah Bona Drag isn't a studio album. It originally was supposed to be but that was scrapped. Everyone always seems to include it in the lists though.

1. Your Arsenal
2. Vauxhall and I
3. Viva Hate
4. You Are the Quarry
5. Southpaw Grammar
6. Maladjusted
7. Kill Uncle
8. World Peace Is None of Your Business
9. Years of Refusal
10. Ringleader of the Tormentors

1. Viva Hate
2. Your Arsenal
3. Vauxhall
4. World Peace
5. Kill Uncle
6. Maladjusted
7. Years of refusal
8. Ringleader
9. You are the quarry
10. Southpaw grammar (only Morrissey album not to have at least one genuinely great song)

Wow that may be as close to how I'd do it as any list like this I've seen. For sure Your Arsenal first and Ringleader last for me. I'd probably have You Are the Quarry a bit lower and Years of Refusal a bit higher but good list in my opinion.

Yeah Bona Drag isn't a studio album. It originally was supposed to be but that was scrapped. Everyone always seems to include it in the lists though.

1. Your Arsenal
2. Vauxhall and I
3. Viva Hate
4. You Are the Quarry
5. Southpaw Grammar
6. Maladjusted
7. Kill Uncle
8. World Peace Is None of Your Business
9. Years of Refusal
10. Ringleader of the Tormentors

Bona drag (I'm gonna include it since it doesnt really repeat songs from other studio albums like the best ofs do and it's better than most of them or at least up there)

You're arsenal

Swords (included for the same reason as bona drag)

World peace

You are the quarry

Maladjusted (reissue)

Vauxhall

Kill uncle

Years of refusal

Southpaw

Ringleader

Always changing a bit and those is the middle are so close that it's hard to rate but there it stands for the moment

1. Vauxhall and I
2. Your Arsenal - though these two are virtually a tie in my mind
3. Viva Hate
4. Southpaw Grammar
5. You Are The Quarry
6. Ringleader of the Tormentors
7. Maladjusted
8. Years of Refusal
9. World Peace Is None Of Your Business
10. Kill Uncle

Viva Hate!
Southpaw Grammar (sometimes Southpaw is my favorite)
tie- Your Arsenal - Vauxhall and I
Beethoven Was Deaf (fight me)
Kill Uncle
You Are The Quarry
Maladjusted
Years Of Refusal
Ringleader Of The Tormentors
World Peace Is None Of Your Business

grow on you?! It's not a fungus! :lbf:

And 'Bona' an 'album'?... May as well throw 'World of','Swords' and 'Burglary years' in there too,no?

The two best songs on Viva are on Drag. There were sessions for Drag so it is kinda a studio album. It started out as the next album

1. Your Arsenal, I picked this primarily because it came at such a key moment in Morrissey's career. For personal reasons it is my fav.
2. Vauxhall
3. World Peace
4. Viva Hate
5. Malajusted
6. Ringleader
7. Refusal
8. Kill Uncle
9. Quarry
10. Southpaw

1-5 is pretty easy for me, or even 1-6, 7-10 is a lot harder.

1) Vauxhall and I
Probably not a co-incidence that it's consistently the most popular solo album and also the most like the Smiths. But it's also the only solo album not to waste a second. Never liked the photo on the front of the sleeve, though, which is a bit so-what.

2) Ringleader of the Tormentors
Seems to divide fans, basically by IQ. If you put it slightly lower down in your list, then maybe we can agree to differ. But, if you actually put it last, you really shouldn't be allowed to vote or own sharp cutlery. Has some of Morrissey's finest vocals and songwriting ever ("Dear God, did this kind of thing happen to you..?" is the best line he has ever come up with, IMO), and his last great album from a purely musical point-of-view. It is true that it sounds a bit like it was recorded through a partition wall, but all you need to do is turn the treble up.

3) Beethoven Was Deaf
Based on the question asked, I shouldn't really be including this, but who cares? It's the definitive document for that particular band lineup and it shows how great they were at that time. Alain was right in his recent Facebook comment - there was a magic here that should have been zealously guarded.

4) Bona Drag
Valid, IMO, just because nothing else represents that period. And because I'm listening to it at the moment and it's great.

5) Your Arsenal
An incredible comeback after the critical mauling of Kill Uncle, and it's stunning just for that. Also, see above comments on Beethoven Was Deaf. A pretty flawless collection of songs, except I've never been that keen on "We Hate It...".

6) Viva Hate
Could do with losing the last two songs, and it loses points for "Bengali In Platforms". Another line-up he should have stuck with for longer. Vini Reilly's contribution is superb.

7) You Are the Quarry
Has a horrible MOR production sheen, but the songs make up of it, with a couple of exceptions (I can remember "America..." not boding well on first listen). "I Have Forgiven Jesus" stands out for me, and is also Morrissey's best ever song title.

8) Years of Refusal
I initially put this at 9, but the superiority of the songs compared to Southpaw is undeniable. In fact, it's quite likely that if I carried on thinking about it, I might put it at seven or even six. The last Morrissey album to feature really knockout songs

9) Southpaw Grammar
No classics, but nothing that's actually bad, and it sounds fantastic.

10) Maladjusted
We're entering the relegation zone here. It's really difficult to decide on an order for these last three albums. Maladjusted has almost a side of good songs, and the rest of it is mostly just boring, rather than actually terrible, which is what is saving it from number 11.

11) World Peace Is None of Your Business
This has it's moments, but it mainly just falls flat. Songs with no point to them, half-baked arrangements and an ill-advised attempt to "go political" when you only half-understand the first thing about politics. Consider the extended opening to "I'm Not A Man". This is often criticised, but it actually makes sense as a metaphor for the album. The sound of someone wandering aimlessly around a recording studio, toying with the instruments and thinking "yeah, that sounds alright". Though of like that, it's actually a hell of a lot better than the song that follows. There are a handful of good songs on the record, but not enough to justify releasing an album.

12) Kill Uncle
"Sing Your Life" is brilliant. But, though it was unthinkable at the time, Morrissey actually seems to be struggling with the very basics of songwriting for a good part of the album. Tizer? Yes, I know it rhymes, but really? Songs like "Asian Rut", "Harsh Truth..." etc really seem like simulations of Morrissey songs. I think he probably knew this at the time, and he should have just waited.

Last edited:
What makes people think Vauxhallis the most smiths like. I would arsenal or bona drag myself with the rockabilly and jangle pop. November really sounds like it could be a smiths song. I could see the more you ignore me and maybe hold on to your friends but nothing in there has a groove element that I associate with the smiths. Is it just the lyrics

Arsenal
Viva
Vauxhall
Uncle
Maladjusted
Quarry
World Peace
Refusal
Ringleader

21st century Mozzer has not thrilled me.

1 Viva Hate, by a country mile
2 gonna have to squeeze Bona Drag in here, even if it's not technically so
3 Vauxhall
4 Your Arsenal
5 Quarry
6 dont really care beyond this point

1) Vauxhall and I
Probably not a co-incidence that it's consistently the most popular solo album and also the most like the Smiths. But it's also the only solo album not to waste a second. Never liked the photo on the front of the sleeve, though, which is a bit so-what.

Seems to divide fans, basically by IQ. If you put it slightly lower down in your list, then maybe we can agree to differ. But, if you actually put it last, you really shouldn't be allowed to vote or own sharp cutlery. Has some of Morrissey's finest vocals and songwriting ever ("Dear God, did this kind of thing happen to you..?" is the best line he has ever come up with, IMO), and his last great album from a purely musical point-of-view. It is true that it sounds a bit like it was recorded through a partition wall, but all you need to do is turn the treble up.

3) Beethoven Was Deaf
Based on the question asked, I shouldn't really be including this, but who cares? It's the definitive document for that particular band lineup and it shows how great they were at that time. Alain was right in his recent Facebook comment - there was a magic here that should have been zealously guarded.

4) Bona Drag
Valid, IMO, just because nothing else represents that period. And because I'm listening to it at the moment and it's great.

5) Your Arsenal
An incredible comeback after the critical mauling of Kill Uncle, and it's stunning just for that. Also, see above comments on Beethoven Was Deaf. A pretty flawless collection of songs, except I've never been that keen on "We Hate It...".

6) Viva Hate
Could do with losing the last two songs, and it loses points for "Bengali In Platforms". Another line-up he should have stuck with for longer. Vini Reilly's contribution is superb.

7) You Are the Quarry
Has a horrible MOR production sheen, but the songs make up of it, with a couple of exceptions (I can remember "America..." not boding well on first listen). "I Have Forgiven Jesus" stands out for me, and is also Morrissey's best ever song title.

8) Years of Refusal
I initially put this at 9, but the superiority of the songs compared to Southpaw is undeniable. In fact, it's quite likely that if I carried on thinking about it, I might put it at seven or even six. The last Morrissey album to feature really knockout songs

9) Southpaw Grammar

10) Maladjusted
We're entering the relegation zone here. It's really difficult to decide on an order for these last three albums. Maladjusted has almost a side of good songs, and the rest of it is mostly just boring, rather than actually terrible, which is what is saving it from number 11.

This has it's moments, but it mainly just falls flat. Songs with no point to them, half-baked arrangements and an ill-advised attempt to "go political" when you only half-understand the first thing about politics. Consider the extended opening to "I'm Not A Man". This is often criticised, but it actually makes sense as a metaphor for the album. The sound of someone wandering aimlessly around a recording studio, toying with the instruments and thinking "yeah, that sounds alright". Though of like that, it's actually a hell of a lot better than the song that follows. There are a handful of good songs on the record, but not enough to justify releasing an album.

12) Kill Uncle
"Sing Your Life" is brilliant. But, though it was unthinkable at the time, Morrissey actually seems to be struggling with the very basics of songwriting for a good part of the album. Tizer? Yes, I know it rhymes, but really? Songs like "Asian Rut", "Harsh Truth..." etc really seem like simulations of Morrissey songs. I think he probably knew this at the time, and he should have just waited.

tracks 5,6 & 7 on Your Arsenal are all pretty weak IMO, i'd gladly swap those 3 for the studio version of Jack The Ripper.

What makes people think Vauxhallis the most smiths like. I could see the more you ignore me and maybe hold on to your friends but nothing in there has a groove element that I associate with the smiths. Is it just the lyrics

I agree, Vauxhall doesn't have a Smiths vibe to me either. HOTYF, IAHFL and TLS come close but I guess maybe people are thinking more lyrically rather than musically?

1) Vauxhall and I

3) Beethoven Was Deaf

4) Bona Drag

5) Your Arsenal

6) Viva Hate

7) You Are the Quarry

8) Years of Refusal

9) Southpaw Grammar

10) Maladjusted

12) Kill Uncle

I'm sure you're a genius, but Ringleader of the Tormentors has some real dreck. It also has a couple of his best from the later period. It is one of three, the others being "Maladjusted" and "World Peace," that I can not listen to all the way through without skipping tracks.
And "Dear God, Please Help Me" appeals to a certain portion of the audience that enjoys songs like "Never Played Symphonies," as well. In my opinion, both are unlistenable, and I love "Late Night, Maudlin Street," so it's not the lack of rock guitars. It's the embarrassing crap lyrics.

On Southpaw, "no classics," you don't think "The Operation" and "Southpaw," are classics? get lost . :D
Wait, I'm sorry, you added "Beethoven," too. Maybe we can still be friends.

Last edited:
I agree, Vauxhall doesn't have a Smiths vibe to me either. HOTYF, IAHFL and TLS come close but I guess maybe people are thinking more lyrically rather than musically?

My guess as well as it does the more heart broken rain coated lover bit some more, I mean do son had just died I think as well as a couple of other people so it's understandable, that he's known for in the stereotype world but it does have the humorous or attack songs that I like from mom and find in the smiths. Maybe speedway for me. As for the music I just don't see it except for maybe tmyim. As for ringleader, the production just puts the nail in the coffin for me and ruins some good songs imo. That said I love morrisseys solo albums and listen to them all the time

'6 dont really care beyond this point' :lbf:

but,yes! 'by a country mile' !

What I was wondering is, if peoples first placing was the album that they came in on or was it the album that really turned them into an avid listener and then fan ?

I'm sure that's part of it I'm guessing also the fact that Vauxhall was kinda the big success he and his fans were waiting for. The public vindication etc. I'm thinking that a lot of Viva lovers are also older fans. I put it in the middle as it's a fun album but the musics only so so for me and not all of the songs are very weighty enoufh emotionally for me or nearly funny enough. Margarets great and of course every day is like sunday feels so much like a smiths song and while alastian cousin is really good musically the lyrics arent quite funny enough to escape feelkng a little trite. The production, not that I'm blamkng Street as I think it was just the times and k love his work oneat is murder, didn't have a lot of low end like arsenal did which makes it sound kinda thin compared to other albums from that period. The production sounds like the first pet shop boys album to me. Its also just got some boring songs to me like late night the ordinary boys dial a cliche break up the family. Not terrible but not that knterestk g to me. Even Vauxhall sounds a bit weird on some tracks. Like I love hold on to your friends but something sounds off about that songs production to me. Like they turned the treble way up. Maladjusted may not be everyone's favorite but that album is recorded and mastered extremely well and I love the reissue. Soft like Vauxhall but even more confidently relaxed and assured. I got a lot of albums at the same time so I can't speak to the album that got me into his solo stuff but I'm sure that has something to do with how peolle choose there fav albums if not always a deciding factor

'6 dont really care beyond this point' :lbf:

but,yes! 'by a country mile' !

What I was wondering is, if peoples first placing was the album that they came in on or was it the album that really turned them into an avid listener and then fan ?

I bought "Strangeways" first. It was new at the time. Then I bought "The Smiths" and all the rest in the next couple of weeks. Then I went to the record store and there was a Morrissey record called "Viva Hate!" I thought, oh nice, he's made a solo record. I had no idea The Smiths had broken up. So I was hearing all The Smiths songs at once, and then Morrissey maybe a couple of months later? That's why I think The Smiths are his backing band to me and it's all Morrissey records, just with a different brand name.

Back
Top Bottom