Revisiting "Your Arsenal" 27 Years On - New Article on Eject Music by Fiona Dodwell

Absolutely. Much of Morrissey's music just hasn't aged well. Everything between 1988 - 1994 will age wonderfully, as will You Are the Quarry, due to its special place in history in Morrissey's back catalog and the wonderful, full, clean production of the great Jerry Finn. But everything since? Some good songs, some bad, but nothing really standout or classic Morrissey.

Morrissey needs to recapture the beauty and simplicity of The Smiths or his earlier solo work.
Yes, it would be a beautiful thing. I don't expect a return to the full magic of the Smiths, but things could be better. The other day I was listening to 'Ordinary Boys' and I couldn't imagine Moz now putting out so accomplished a musical piece. Or 'Bengali in Platforms.' Forget the lyrics, just listen to how lush the music sounds. Or 'Will Never Marry,' or 'He knows...' Stuff like that.

A lovely clean acousticy sound perhaps similar to what Marr might've had planned.

It would be great if Moz spread himself about for a while. Worked with different people. Maybe he'd find a good musical partner. For a while he's definitely been taking the path of least resistance with his current band. Sometimes you need to shrug off the comfort blanket and take a risk.

Last edited:
Yes, it would be a beautiful thing. I don't expect a return to the full magic of the Smiths, but things could be better. The other day I was listening to 'Ordinary Boys' and I couldn't imagine Moz now putting out so accomplished a musical piece. Or 'Bengali in Platforms.' Forget the lyrics, just listen to how lush the music sounds. Or 'Will Never Marry,' or 'He knows...' Stuff like that.

A lovely clean acousticy sound perhaps similar to what Marr might've had planned.

It would be great if Moz spread himself about for a while. Worked with different people. Maybe he'd find a good musical partner. For a while he's definitely been taking the path of least resistance with his current band. Sometimes you need to shrug off the comfort blanket and take a risk.

I think that's why Johnny Marr has been so successful. He's written all sorts of music and played in all sorts of bands since 1987. His recent music is fantastic. The single Hi, Hello sounds just like a Smiths song and is a thing of beauty.

I think that's why Johnny Marr has been so successful. He's written all sorts of music and played in all sorts of bands since 1987. His recent music is fantastic. The single Hi, Hello sounds just like a Smiths song and is a thing of beauty.
Marr currently looks like he's having a lot of fun. But I reckon he'd drop everything to work with Morrissey, or drag The Smiths out for a big worldwide reunion thing. Hope the latter never happens. It would be too vulgar in these non-mysterious times with social media and cameras flashing every second. Best to preserve the magic.

I remember reading an interview with him where he said the album after Strangeways... would have been like Scott Walker.

Johnny Marr said the musical direction he would've taken had the Smiths not split would have been similar to the sound of 'Unhappy Birthday'. This is quite an acoustic sound along the lines of 'Stretch Out and Wait' or 'Half a Person' with a few electric guitar effects added in the mix for atmospherics and a clear audible bass. That would have been wonderful. And I think it's what Morrissey needs now. A quieter sound with rich flowing chords to emphasize the voice he clearly still has.

I never heard/read that reel. But I did read somewhere with Marr saying that
after he heard Viva Hate (or maybe it was one of the singles) that that is where he wanted to go with The Smiths
next record, and then he mentioned Walker I believe he was talking about the grand string arrangements.

I never heard/read that reel. But I did read somewhere with Marr saying that
after he heard Viva Hate (or maybe it was one of the singles) that that is where he wanted to go with The Smiths
next record, and then he mentioned Walker I believe he was talking about the grand string arrangements.
I think he also said that when he first heard 'Last of the Famous...' he was very impressed and slightly jealous - which is a lot for Marr to admit.

Only on this "fan site" would people devote time to hating someone for just defending their favourite singer. Y'all are a very strange bunch of fans
Tho it makes sense, I mean most of u hate the singer so you hardly were gonna like anyone trying to support him

Strange place this is at times

I will appreciate Sam and (ex???) Julia and Fiona and anyone who tries to support him because I'm a fan. Drrrrr. Right!!
Anyone that writes an article, wears his t-shirt, poses with him in a photo, covers one of his songs, or is a current or ex-band member is HATED here.

Richard Hawley........but Richard's doing a better Moz than Moz these days.

- Morrissey was even playing The Loop in 2009 on the Years of Refusal tour, with Matt Walker playing double bass.[/QUOTE]

Yes, The Loop was really a highlight of the shows of the YOR tour.

Johnny Marr said the musical direction he would've taken had the Smiths not split would have been similar to the sound of 'Unhappy Birthday'. This is quite an acoustic sound along the lines of 'Stretch Out and Wait' or 'Half a Person' with a few electric guitar effects added in the mix for atmospherics and a clear audible bass. That would have been wonderful. And I think it's what Morrissey needs now. A quieter sound with rich flowing chords to emphasize the voice he clearly still has.

The acoustic Smiths were - and still are - deeply touching: so warm, so sincere and so emotional. I agree that his voice can still carry that emotional depth, just listen to the live version of "Seasick…" he played on Broadway. But he also needs to find the words to make any new effort worthwhile, preferably no political ramblings of the type "Who will protect us …".

You could argue that there have been a few attempts at a softer sound recently: Smiler With Knife (wonderfully crafted), Oboe Concerto (very enjoyable) or even The Girl from Tel Aviv although I don't think the latter s very popular with fans (I personally don't like the lyric).

I don't (enough) care either way but to say she's like the ones he "warned us about" isn't quite it.
He got her to write his album liner notes and is one of the few who he'll be interviewed by nowadays. Ive said it before and I believe it's true, I think he's been "stabbed in the back so many many times" that he appreciates public support from the likes of SER and dodwell because he obvs trusts them.
If you can't see why after the media f***tards treatment of him, I'm surprised

Yes, of course that's true. But Morrissey's always been his own best critic. He was smart enough to know that sycophants are sad and pathetic creatures when he wrote "Paint a Vulgar Picture" so many years ago. Unfortunately, now he is such a brittle and alienated narcissist that all he wants are sycophants.

Yes, of course that's true. But Morrissey's always been his own best critic. He was smart enough to know that sycophants are sad and pathetic creatures when he wrote "Paint a Vulgar Picture" so many years ago. Unfortunately, now he is such a brittle and alienated narcissist that all he wants are sycophants.
Pity he didn't learn anything else from Paint a Vulgar Picture. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, that one.

New Article about Moz and his career in the early 90s. Nice to read something actually positive.

Memories of Morrissey: Revisiting 'Your Arsenal' as it Turns 27 - Eject Music
As Morrissey's album, Your Arsenal, turns 27 this week, Fiona Dodwell takes a look at the album and the 1992 era of the music legend's career.
by Fiona Dodwell

Congrats Morrissey for the greatest vinyl record ever made! From start to finish, not a glitch or bump in the road old boy. We post some shite on this site, but, "Your Aresenal", remains locked and loaded to this very day!
Your Arsenal Tour in Daft Diego 92 at the Sports Areana.....we are ....."Are an old squeeze-box, no one plays anymore. Best !

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom