Rick Astley Twitter: Rick Astley & Blossoms perform the songs of The Smiths - 2 Smiths-themed concerts in October (September 14, 2021)

IMG_20210914_174101.jpg

Further to today's coverage of their Smiths covers, Rick Astley & Blossoms are playing 2 special Smiths-themed gigs in October.
Thanks to @davidt for the information.
Confirmed via ticket outlets:

(Link courtesy of @Uncleskinny)

full

Tweet posted by Surface:

Related item:
Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes!!!!

Ticket farkin bagged, lads! Would've gone to Manc show but booked for Mr Richard Hawley in yonder Welsh Wrexham same night 🌙...

...why the fcUKin fcUK am I so EXCITED about seeing and hearing Rick Astley & The Blossoms doing a tribute act special of The Smiths songbook?...because I'm gunna do exactly the same thing as my own 'support act' on The Green Mile..."tonight, Matthew, I am mostly Being Morrissey."😍

#TBGS
#OFFOWW
Screenshot_20210917-093624_Chrome.jpg

Both shows sold out in less than 30 mins, wonder if they will add any more dates? Correction, 8 mins!!

Last edited:
Does anyone know the financials / legalities of this? (I'm not taking sides, just interested.)

I get that it's fine to cover another artist's song in a show but basing an entire show around another band's work feels...different, somehow? (Obvs this is what tribute acts do.) Who gets the money from these shows - just the performers and the venue? And do they need permission from the songwriters?

Does anyone know the financials / legalities of this? (I'm not taking sides, just interested.)

I get that it's fine to cover another artist's song in a show but basing an entire show around another band's work feels...different, somehow? (Obvs this is what tribute acts do.) Who gets the money from these shows - just the performers and the venue? And do they need permission from the songwriters?

Apparently no permission is needed and it looks like the writers get royalties via the venues PRS licence, so I assume Blossoms/Rick and the venues get the profit from the shows. I may be wrong but thats what I took from the PRS site.

Apparently no permission is needed and it looks like the writers get royalties via the venues PRS licence, so I assume Blossoms/Rick and the venues get the profit from the shows. I may be wrong but thats what I took from the PRS site.
So Moz & Marr (as writers) do get royalties? Is that the gist?

So Moz & Marr (as writers) do get royalties? Is that the gist?
It’s not my understanding that they would get anything, unless there’s a recording later sold?

I’ve got my tickets!

That's the way I read it but I don't think it's much, looks like 4% of the takings according to the PRS site.
That's why I queried it...from what was stated on here somewhere, if it's 'live' (as opposed to a formal recording for sale) there's no royalties due.

That's why I queried it...from what was stated on here somewhere, if it's 'live' (as opposed to a formal recording for sale) there's no royalties due.

Great to see it's a success though and shows what a pull the music of the Smiths is when performed by well known performers.

That said The Smyths seem to pull decent audiences and their Manchester gig is at The Ritz which has a capacity of 1500.

Great to see it's a success though and shows what a pull the music of the Smiths is when performed by well known performers.

That said The Smyths seem to pull decent audiences and their Manchester gig is at The Ritz which has a capacity of 1500.
Yeah, well I'm sorta quite pleased about it-ish, if only to bring the Smiths music to the younger generations. I hope it goes well; I think the only thing that is pissing me off is the mocking, disrespect & negativity shown to Moz...who wrote all those wonderful words...but maybe the younger generation don't know any of that because twitter hasn't told them yet. :rolleyes:

In the end, Rick's involvement may mean, that the "Morrissey case" in the UK can, be dealt with in a more relaxed way. No longer just love or hate. Rick handles it so respectfully, you just have to like it. And of course it would be great if an original member would join as a guest.

Last edited:
Yeah, well I'm sorta quite pleased about it-ish, if only to bring the Smiths music to the younger generations. I hope it goes well; I think the only thing that is pissing me off is the mocking, disrespect & negativity shown to Moz...who wrote all those wonderful words...but maybe the younger generation don't know any of that because twitter hasn't told them yet. :rolleyes:

I tend to think a lot of those people mocking are just jumping on the bandwagon and have probably never seen Morrissey or The Smiths in their life. Yes he's said some shit I don't agree with but I still go to his gigs when I can.

In the end, Rick's involvement may mean that the "Morrissey case" in the UK can, be dealt with in a more relaxed way. No longer just love or hate. Rick handles it so respectfully, you just have to like it. And of course it would be great if an original member would join as a guest.
Whilst there are a few gobshites suggesting this effaces Morrissey, I agree it does him no harm at all.

And ultimately, I suspect he’ll get a significant media boost from the publicity around this. Moreover, his sales will likely benefit from the fresh interest from a younger fan base.

Having said that, he’s perfectly capable of looking this gift horse straight in the cake hole.

Fiona has already expressed her displeasure about the current development in her blog. Has the entry been linked yet?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom