Ringleader Of The Tormentors Survivor - PART SIX!!!

Vote for your favourite track from RINGLEADER...

• The Youngest Was The Most Loved

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • In The Future When All's Well

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Life Is A Pigsty

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • To Me You Are A Work Of Art

Votes: 13 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Should've been "On The Streets I Ran"....when will it end??

But why does it have it have to be "Work of Art" out next Trill ;)

I think the remaining four are all excellent tracks, but now it is time to be picky. My thought process goes something like this.

I think "Youngest" is a wise choice as Moz's next single - in the way that "First of the Gang" was (although not as brilliant). "Youngest" is great singalong Moz and I love the energetic pace of it. However, that is all there is to it. This is my fourth favourite of the "surviving" tracks.

Third favourite is "In the Future". I also think it is a superior song to "Youngest". I love the retro T-Rex sound and it is lyrically interesting too. However, it lacks something that I can't quite put my finger on...

Second has to be "Pigsty" although I find that decision difficult. As I have said before I understand why "Pigsty" is so popular: it is an immense song that is clearly going to stand the test of time as a Moz epic. It is the standout track on the album but...... it is not MY favourite. There are other songs I would rather listen to on the album. Genuine question: Do the "Pigsty" voters listen to it more than they do to the other tracks? If they don't, why is it their favourite?

For me, it has to be "Work of Art". Musically it is gorgeous, especially when the band kicks in towards the end. Moz's singing, from the opening verse through to the fantastically powerful chorus is amazing. Lyrically it is a wonderful example of the romantic essense that sums up Morrissey. This combination of (hopeless) romanticism and the emotionally powerful chorus makes this song my clear favourite on ROTT.

Not that it really matters of course :)

I think that Work Of Art is just OK, York, nothing special at all. Not very adventurous musically and definitely very lazy lyrically. Not much to it at all. Not the worst track in Morrissey's catalogue but there's a lot better from him too.

Trill said:
I think that Work Of Art is just OK, York, nothing special at all. Not very adventurous musically and definitely very lazy lyrically. Not much to it at all. Not the worst track in Morrissey's catalogue but there's a lot better from him too.

"Work of Art" is wonderful and I hope you keep this round open long enough for people to vote for it. :) (You've been rather quick closing the rounds - remember we have numerous time zones on here.)

I know that, Theo, but I still think 24 hours is long enough for anyone who wants to vote for it. I still think it's going out this round...

Trill said:

Totally agree!

Trill said:

Nine reasons why Work Of Art IS interesting musically/lyrically.

1) Listen to the Bass line, particularly in the chorus sections.

2) The use of strings at the bridge and how they build into the chorus so that once the chorus arrives there is a release of tension in the chords. This allows the chorus to differ from the first two times it occurs, creating variety.

3) The chorus in general, it has got a GREAT hook.

4) The way the song builds from quietness at the beginning to a full blown song, classic way to start

5) The harmonies in the vocals during the chorus that are reinforcing the title of the song is unique. Could just be a doubling of the existing vocal track with a delay/plate reverb on it, but whatever it is it works.

6) The groove in the drums. Simple, yet effective.

7) Lyrically, it is interesting in the fact that it is so simple. To me you are a work of art. That's the point of the song really, everything else is just telling one why the subject is the work of art to the author. I mean, what if he is literally referencing a piece of artwork as opposed to another human. Far-fetched.. I know, but you can never tell what an artist really means about his work, as only he will truly know.

8) The melody line is great, it's one of those that blends so well into the chord progressions, that you don't have to listen to the lyrics to know it's beautiful.

9) It's got a simple structure to it Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus, Outro... Just like any pop song, therefore easy to understand.

This is just a quick analysis; I could go on and I could analyse the rest of the album as well, but I won't. I've already overcooked this point. Also, just because a song isn't adventurous musically doens't mean it's not a great song. I mean Moz isn't Dream Theatre or anything, he's a indie,pop,rock guy. I know I seem really, really "Pro-work of art," and I am, but it is structurally and musically (as a whole), the best song on the album. And seriously, there is nothing like hearing this one live, it sticks out amongst the rest.

I really don't mean to offend, Soulscar, but that was incredibly patronising. I have heard the song, you know. You haven't discovered a secret meaning to it. It's not the Da Vinci Code. Musically it's arguable over the quality, doesn't do much for me, you obviosly like it. Fine. But don't tell me it's 'interesting' lyrically. Look at what Morrissey has done in the past. It's nothing compared to so much of his other work. Morrissey set the bar himself, it's his job to match that not just jot down a couple of incredibly cliched lines hoping it will do.

Trill said:
I really don't mean to offend, Soulscar, but that was incredibly patronising. I have heard the song, you know. You haven't discovered a secret meaning to it. It's not the Da Vinci Code. Musically it's arguable over the quality, doesn't do much for me, you obviosly like it. Fine. But don't tell me it's 'interesting' lyrically. Look at what Morrissey has done in the past. It's nothing compared to so much of his other work. Morrissey set the bar himself, it's his job to match that not just jot down a couple of incredibly cliched lines hoping it will do.

I'm not trying to be patronising Trill, I'm just trying to tell you music is not just about lyrical quality either. I will admit it's not his finest lyrically, but musically it is a well-designed song. Personally, I think the album as a whole is not his greatest work, it's a good album, don't get me wrong, but yes, he has done better. Regardless, it's only music after all, and I apologize to you for giving my opinion.

You were giving a superior opinion. You don't have one of those to give.

It's a good album, I agree. His best since Your Arsenal, I'd say.

That was the point. You didn't because you didn't even challenge anyone's point of view. You may as well have done a 9 paragraph review on the colour of orange juice. Write all you want, it's still orange. You might want to find an opinion you actually have than try to state the absolute obvious.

Trill said:
That was the point. You didn't because you didn't even challenge anyone's point of view. You may as well have done a 9 paragraph review on the colour of orange juice. Write all you want, it's still orange. You might want to find an opinion you actually have than try to state the absolute obvious.

Here's a real eye opener for you! Opinions are based on fact! Yes, I know that's a hard concept to grasp for you right now, but it's the truth I swear. I stated that the song was musically/lyrically interesting (that part is the opinion) and I used fact (the reasons I listed) to base that statement off of. It might've been too small of an opinion for you, but obviously you were not looking for anything but an argument, so you've got one.

Back
Top Bottom