Robbie Williams doing his most horrific Morrissey impression

I spotted some Moz inspired bad dancing, but can't hear any vocal similarities whatsoever.

I don't agree with the previous speaker. Rob had some real stinkers as singles but this one has wonderful anachronistic elements and comes along real tuneful. Rob looks really handsome, lost some weight and has a nice quiff. I've seen things much worse on national TV.
What does anachronistic mean? I haven't heard that word before. I haven't been to university or music school. I agree with you I enjoyed this performance it is a different type of Christmas song it feels quite British and very 2020 but people from other countries could relate to it as well.

I like how Morrissey looks. Maybe Robbie Williams is trying to look like Morrissey and he looks good too.

I don't mind pure pop music. I don't like pretentiousness in music though. I don't like big headed performers that are full of themselves kind of arrogant conceited with a big ego. I don't like superficial fake people. Robbie Williams made it as a popular singer yet he didn't go to music school and he wasn't classically trained. That is pretty cool! Robbie Williams gives ordinary people hope. The relationship with Robbie and his American wife is interesting. Robbie went years without having children now he is married with 4 children two of the children were born to a surrogate. He is living the Hollywood lifestyle. Some think his wife might be his handler she seems like a mother figure in some ways.

If Robbie Williams is starting to take an interest in Christianity with his "Happy Birthday Jesus Christ" song and has an interest in the truther movement then more power to him.

Mixed feelings. He seems to be a nice person. I like people who like Morrissey, but I like artists who are themselves. The song... well...

I spotted some Moz inspired bad dancing, but can't hear any vocal similarities whatsoever.

That's the point... the song is terrible, but he is not paying some sort of homage to Morrissey.... Some people are trying to see a Morrissey reference where there isn't one actually.
The haircut... well... Rick Astley had that haircut too, and it was not a Morrissey reference either.

That's the point... the song is terrible, but he is not paying some sort of homage to Morrissey.... Some people are trying to see a Morrissey reference where there isn't one actually.
The haircut... well... Rick Astley had that haircut too, and it was not a Morrissey reference either.
Well it might be as Rick still has a great quiff, he's a Moz fan too and is on record as saying he'd love to do a gig entirely of Smiths songs.

Mixed feelings. He seems to be a nice person. I like people who like Morrissey, but I like artists who are themselves. The song... well...
Robbie Williams is himself he isn't a carbon copy of Morrissey. I think their vocal styles are quite different. Yes, Robbie Williams looks a bit like Morrissey these days but Robbie hasn't said if he has based his new look on Morrissey or not.

Robbie Williams has been through a lot in his life he has battled with drug and alcohol addiction. He also suffers with mental health problems depression and anxiety. He used to have an addiction to food some sort of eating disorder. His parents split up and got divorced when he was very young like 3 years old. The first 5 years of life are very important in child development. Robbie was mostly brought up by his Mum but I think he has had step-parents as well. Robbie's biological father now joins him on stage sometimes. Robbie is married with 4 children. There is something strange in the dynamic of the relationship with Robbie and his American wife. I don't think they act like a normal married couple. They live a lot of the time in Hollywood. Two of their children were born to a surrogate. Which means Robbie's wife didn't carry two of the children naturally. Robbie seems more together these days than he used to be. Maybe his wife is some sort of a mother figure or a handler it is hard to work it out. She seems very strong.

If Robbie Williams has based his current look on Morrissey or is trying to look like Morrissey I don't see that it matters that much. Maybe Morrissey is flattered by it?Morrissey might not have a problem with it. Nobody has asked Morrissey how he feels about it.

@Rosemond
"The ages live in history through their anachronisms."
I heard it first from Oscar Wilde.

Old fashioned elements like the classical british boy choir and a Motown beat at some point in the context of a contemporary pop song. A nice Christmas Carol, at least for me.

Rick Astley's ginger quiff looked very different to Mozzer's. Rick's a nice chap anyway. Rob looks extremely handsome, dressed up in all black and doing a performance which cries "I don't give a f***".

@Rosemond
"The ages live in history through their anachronisms."
I heard it first from Oscar Wilde.

Old fashioned elements like the classical british boy choir and a Motown beat at some point in the context of a contemporary pop song. A nice Christmas Carol, at least for me.

Rick Astley's ginger quiff looked very different to Mozzer's. Rick's a nice chap anyway. Rob looks extremely handsome, dressed up in all black and doing a performance which cries "I don't give a f***".
Thank you. Morrissey loves Oscar Wilde he is one of his heroes!

I found out that Robbie Williams has some Irish heritage like Morrissey and Oscar Wilde. I used to think Robbie might have some Welsh heritage because the surname Williams is Welsh. But it seems he has Irish heritage and his father sometimes uses a different surname not Williams.

I think that Robbie Williams is a great dancer, performer and entertainer. Robbie Williams' new Christmas song isn't religious about the birth of Jesus but it feels very 2020. It is a secular song. The boy singers in the choir give it a more traditional feel.

Morrissey might not mind if Robbie Williams is trying to look like him. He might be flattered by it. Nobody has asked Morrissey's opinion. I like the fact that Robbie Williams hasn't had any formal music training and he is hugely successful he seems like a down to earth bloke not arrogant at all. Robbie Williams gives people hope in Britain we grew up with Robbie we have seem him develop and become a solo artist and a husband and father.

Thank you. Morrissey loves Oscar Wilde he is one of his heroes!

I found out that Robbie Williams has some Irish heritage like Morrissey and Oscar Wilde. I used to think Robbie might have some Welsh heritage because the surname Williams is Welsh. But it seems he has Irish heritage and his father sometimes uses a different surname not Williams.

I think that Robbie Williams is a great dancer, performer and entertainer. Robbie Williams' new Christmas song isn't religious about the birth of Jesus but it feels very 2020. It is a secular song. The boy singers in the choir give it a more traditional feel.

Morrissey might not mind if Robbie Williams is trying to look like him. He might be flattered by it. Nobody has asked Morrissey's opinion. I like the fact that Robbie Williams hasn't had any formal music training and he is hugely successful he seems like a down to earth bloke not arrogant at all. Robbie Williams gives people hope in Britain we grew up with Robbie we have seem him develop and become a solo artist and a husband and father.
I genuinely worry about you Andrea. Are you OK?

I'm not a massive fan of Robbie as an artist but I like the fact that he's been so successful while still striking me as not quite fitting in properly. I went through a spell of listening to quite a few of his albums a year or so ago (bought on bulk from the £1 shop) and there were some pretty nifty lyrics hidden away on some of the lesser known album tracks. I think he's quite clever, or rather, smart. He knows who he is and I think there's more to him than his cheeky chappie persona.

Well it might be as Rick still has a great quiff, he's a Moz fan too and is on record as saying he'd love to do a gig entirely of Smiths songs.
Rick Astley is more the same generation as Morrissey. I never knew Rick Astley was a Morrissey fan. Why doesn't he want to do a concert of Morrissey *solo* songs? I find it strange when people say they are a "Morrissey fan" then they go on about The Smiths a group/band he was in, in the 1980s a band which has caused so much pain in his life.

Robbie Williams isn't quite young enough to be Morrissey's son but he is quite a lot younger than him. What do you think of Olly Murs? Olly Murs sometimes reminds me of Robbie Williams. Will Young is still singing.

I think Robbie Williams has ended his fued with Jimmy Page now. Robbie Williams still has some issues with Liam Gallagher but I always thought it wasn't serious. I think Robbie Williams is a kind caring man.

Rick Astley is more the same generation as Morrissey. I never knew Rick Astley was a Morrissey fan. Why doesn't he want to do a concert of Morrissey *solo* songs? I find it strange when people say they are a "Morrissey fan" then they go on about The Smiths a group/band he was in, in the 1980s a band which has caused so much pain in his life.

Robbie Williams isn't quite young enough to be Morrissey's son but he is quite a lot younger than him. What do you think of Olly Murs? Olly Murs sometimes reminds me of Robbie Williams. Will Young is still singing.

I think Robbie Williams has ended his fued with Jimmy Page now. Robbie Williams still has some issues with Liam Gallagher but I always thought it wasn't serious. I think Robbie Williams is a kind caring man.
I meant *feud* not fued it was a typo. I think Robbie Williams has ended his feud with Jimmy Page.

Not sure how he feels about Liam Gallagher these days.

This one brings back fond memories of parties at the house, loads of friends around, all joining in with the chorus....which we altered slightly.
Epic.

Pom pom pom ba da dup pom pom
Poppadom

I always like this one:

He had some pretty good music videos too, especially during his Escapology days. Sexed Up and Come Undone were full on Jonas Åkerlund greatness.

Last edited:
I think Robbie and Liam reconciled a while ago

Thank you for the article. The feud with Jimmy Page was to do with housing and planning permission. Jimmy Page lives next door to Robbie Williams in London. Robbie Williams and his family also have homes in LA and Malibu. Jimmy Page now has an OBE.

This one brings back fond memories of parties at the house, loads of friends around, all joining in with the chorus....which we altered slightly.
Epic.

Poppadom

Interesting post. Do you know if Robbie Williams is a fan of John Lennon?

Robbie Williams seems to be a fan of a lot of big singers like Morrissey, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, James Brown, Michael Jackson and so on.

Robbie Williams was the baby of the "Take That" boy band he was the youngest member. I bet when Robbie Williams first started out in "Take That" they never knew he would become a huge solo singing star. A working-class lad from a broken home from the North West of England with no formal musical training.

Back
Top Bottom