Rumour worth spreading?

billybu69

Subscriber
While visiting the site "five seconds to spare" (thanks Stefan) I find this, Bona Drag is only the start of a full remaster series,with the second disc of Viva Hate being Morrissey's live Wolverhampton 1988 concert. Sureley this is momentus news which i don't recall seeing on these pages, (could be wrong). Stefan does state upto now only rumour but still worth spreading if ever a rumour was.

I found this on there:

"According to a thread at the Steve Hoffmann forums Morrissey has made a deal with EMI for a new album and re-releases of Viva Hate, Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I as extended 2-CD versions"

I hope the bit in bold is true at least.

Actually, that makes perfect sense. I'm cautiously optimistic...

If this actually happenes, I wonder if he'll consider bringing a song or two from Kill Uncle back into the set?

I found this on there:

"According to a thread at the Steve Hoffmann forums Morrissey has made a deal with EMI for a new album and re-releases of Viva Hate, Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I as extended 2-CD versions"

I hope the bit in bold is true at least.

The way the statement reads, it almost sounds as if Morrissey had to agree to oversee the re-release of his older, "hit" albums in order to get the green light for his new album. That is, EMI wouldn't risk releasing a new Morrissey album, fearing it may not sell, so they wanted to shift some older records to make sure they turn a small profit.

I have no idea if that's true or not, just strikes me as a possibility based on the way the news is worded.

You can read the same rumours at the Steve Hoffman forums.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=221822&page=2

Post 1: ""Note" was an outtake from the Viva Hate sessions, so it will most likely be part of the two CD reissue of VH scheduled for next year. The second CD is said Morrissey's first ever solo gig - at Wolverhampton in 1988 - in its entirety, as well as B sides, outtakes and demos from Viva Hate.

Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall & I and Kill Uncle are all getting the deluxe 2 CD remaster treatment. Long overdue. I liked the remastering to Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammar - although the latter really didn't need it, because the original CD (UK) sounded great.

I don't know what the bonus stuff on the others will be, but I assume it will be period singles (standalones, B Sides, unreleased tracks and live recordings)."

Post 2: "So I've heard from someone I know at EMI. A few months ago, Morrissey went in to talk to them about both a new recording contract and a comprehensive reissue of his back catalogue. I think he's signed a one-off deal with them for a new album.

They started with Bona Drag because it's a compilation of his earliest hits, and thus an ideal way of promoting the reissues.

Viva Hate is reverting to its original cover. And yes, the complete Wolverhampton show is said to be coming out. It was a short gig. Just over 40 minutes long and constantly interrupted by stage invasions."

Post 3: "The Costa Mesa show may be the bonus disc on the Kill Uncle reissue. I should point out that both this and the Wolverhampton show are pencilled in as extras (EMI have the recordings in their vault), but Morrissey is famous for changing his mind about archive stuff and pulling material at the last minute. Striptease With a Difference and November The Second were set to be released as a bonus disc with the Suedehead compilation and got as far as test pressing stage, when Morrissey changed his mind. There was also the matter of the Boxers EP, which was to have contained 'Sunny' as an extra track. Cassette and vinyl promos were sent out to the press, but he pulled the track. Ditto Black Eyed Susan, which was set to be a B Side, but again was pulled.

A friend of mine worked at Sanctuary when Morrissey was signed to them. You Are The Quarry went through multiple reconfigurations."

If the remasters-with-bonus-disc treatment is long overdue for Moz-solo, how overdue is a series from the Smiths? When Sound of came out, I thought such a series would follow shortly.... Still want to hear remasters of some album tracks.

When Sound of came out, I thought such a series would follow shortly.... Still want to hear remasters of some album tracks.

The Sound Of The Smiths WAS rematered! Did it improve anything? No. It was just louder. Morrissey's Greatest Hits was even worse!

Personally, I'd be happy if the Deluxe Editions came out in un-remastered form, just like the HMV/EMI 3 Disc Singles Collection.

The way the statement reads, it almost sounds as if Morrissey had to agree to oversee the re-release of his older, "hit" albums in order to get the green light for his new album. That is, EMI wouldn't risk releasing a new Morrissey album, fearing it may not sell, so they wanted to shift some older records to make sure they turn a small profit.

I have no idea if that's true or not, just strikes me as a possibility based on the way the news is worded.

Interesting speculation.
Previously a "Greatest Hits" was the price for a new album deal.
Now it takes a back catalogue. Where next?

But maybe Morrissey wanted to revisit and improve them and this was his opportunity to do so.

The Sound Of The Smiths WAS rematered! Did it improve anything? No. It was just louder. Morrissey's Greatest Hits was even worse!

Personally, I'd be happy if the Deluxe Editions came out in un-remastered form, just like the HMV/EMI 3 Disc Singles Collection.

Appreciate the point, to to my little ears many tracks on "Sounds" sounded cleaner. I haven't listened recently but recall TQID -- which always sounded muddy to me (on CD, anyway) -- was improved wiht separation of instruments feeling cleaner. But others may not hear it; little point to launching that debate again.... a thread or two did that at the time.

Last edited:
If the Wolv 88 gig is in then I'm sure we will all buy it! I'm now awaiting the dvd now Moz!

Post 3: "The Costa Mesa show may be the bonus disc on the Kill Uncle reissue.

In going through my folders, I have a Soundboard recording of said Costa Mesa show on a Bootleg called "My Chance to Shine"

Let me know if anyone would like it and I can get it posted in the next few days

Back
Top Bottom