Saint Etienne

oye terence

ampersand after ampersand
Any other fans on here? I have been listening again lately to 'Good Humor' I think its a fantastic album, among their finest.Sarah Cracknell has a great voice , in my opinion, and it really comes out on this album and I also think it may have been their finest moment musically.

saint-etienne-good-humor.jpg

I did not enjoy their latest single as much as some past releases, but its still not bad.

Any other fans on here? I have been listening again lately to 'Good Humor' I think its a fantastic album, among their finest.Sarah Cracknell has a great voice , in my opinion, and it really comes out on this album and I also think it may have been their finest moment musically.

saint-etienne-good-humor.jpg

I did not enjoy their latest single as much as some past releases, but its still not bad.

I adore them maybe more than any other band that began releasing records in the 1990s.

SaintEtienne-01-big.jpg

To this day I can't separate my affection for Saint Etienne from my enduring crush on Sarah Cracknell, but I'm pretty sure I'd like the music even if she looked like Edith Sitwell. Stanley and Wiggs are minor pop geniuses. Each SE album is a little pop Utopia you can inhabit for an hour or so.

Their best album is "Foxbase Alpha", top to bottom, but "Tiger Bay" means the most to me personally. My favorite tracks of theirs: "London Belongs To Me", "California Snow Story", "Soft Like Me", "Nothing Can Stop Us", "Mario's Cafe", "Leafhound", "Former Lover", "Marble Lions", "Sylvie", and others...a great, great band. Sometimes, with respect to their idealization of a mythical English past, I think of them as a lightweight version of The Smiths, not as soulful or affecting, maybe, but with more imagination and optimism.

Last edited:
The only album I had trouble really enjoying was Finisterre, I felt the follow up was well back to the quality I enjoy from all their albums.

Maybe one of the finest uses of samples ever used in a song was their sample of that Dusty Springfield song for "Nothing can stop us'

Worm, you are also correct about Sarah, she is a fox.

I like this album!!!!

and I like the EP 'Reserection" that they made with Etienne Daho under the name of 'Saint Etienne Daho"

20060511234349.jpg

Beautiful picture by Pierre et Gilles!

Love early Saint Etienne especially So Tough.

Hobart Paving:

"Rain falls like Elvis tears.
Oh no, no sugar tonight.
Out on the high street, dim all the lights and
cry coloured tears again."

:tears:

Oh,how could i forget another favourite?Their cover of "I'm Too Sexy"(yes,the Right Said Fred song !).
fred.jpg

Anyone know what the sample is coming in at 1:46(if it is a sample?).Had the 12" for YEARS and it's annoyed the hell out of me:sounds so familiar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops here's the song:

Last edited by a moderator:
Love "Filthy" too with a very young QTee(15) on vocals
:)

Love early Saint Etienne especially So Tough.

Hobart Paving:

"Rain falls like Elvis tears.
Oh no, no sugar tonight.
Out on the high street, dim all the lights and
cry coloured tears again."

:tears:

Oh yeah! One of my favorites. Are those the words? I've never been able to make them out exactly.

IIRC there are two versions, one on the album and one on the 12". I love them both.

"The ticket's in my hand, the train pulls down the line..."

*sigh* Copious tears.

IIRC there are two versions, one on the album and one on the 12". I love them both.

"The ticket's in my hand, the train pulls down the line..."

*sigh* Copious tears.
Aw,let's cry together,Mr Worm.
I've got loads of their 12"s .I need to get them out and wallow,i think.

Aw,let's cry together,Mr Worm.
I've got loads of their 12"s .I need to get them out and wallow,i think.

I'll bring the disco ball and the feather boas.

Do you have "Hug My Soul"? I adore the B-side cover they did of "La Poupee Qui Fait Non (No, No, No, No, No)"

She's a pretty little girl
who says "No, no, no, no,"

Do you have "Hug My Soul"? I adore the B-side cover they did of "La Poupee Qui Fait Non (No, No, No, No, No)"

She's a pretty little girl
who says "No, no, no, no,"
Was that on a cd?Nope,don't think i've got that :(

I saw one of the blokes from Saint Ettiene waiting for a train on East Croydon station once. He was holding a natty looking 1960's style bowling bag.

Voice like untouched snow.

Back
Top Bottom