Scott Weisswald of Counter-Currents reviews "California Son"

Excerpt:
Oh, Morrissey. So much to answer for.

The former Smiths ringleader and self-described “humansexual” released his twelfth solo studio album in May, a collection of covered songs from the 1960s and ‘70s backed by such names as Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong and Broken Social Scene’s Ariel Engle. It’s a release anticipated by just about anyone with a political affiliation and a penchant for music by myopic British men, and Morrissey has managed to pull off the impressive feat of delivering by disappointment.

Following the release of such snarky records as Low in High School, 2019’s California Son is an eclectic assortment of covers that pretend to be innocuous. For the most part, that’s accurate, but the inclusion of such tracks as “Only a Pawn in Their Game” or the opaquer “Lenny’s Tune” serve as poorly-disguised political and personal statements that work towards two conflicting goals: public appeasement and playing dumb.

Morrissey’s latest effort deserves criticism for reasons other than its obvious political pandering, particularly in its composition and execution. As frontman of The Smiths, Morrissey displayed a talent for combining seemingly unrelated elements of pop in the band’s songs, a trait that is alarmingly absent in California Son, in which tired tropes and clichés are used to reinterpret classics in a way that feels more like a cheap cover band’s takes than a genuine creative effort.

https://www.counter-currents.com/2019/08/morrisseys-california-son/

high

she?
But, "By covering this song, Morrissey has succeeded in appealing to nobody in particular," is pretty funny. It's interesting that a political website spends more time talking about the music on each track.

Does no one these days consider it an advantage for a journalist to be literate? Reading over this kind of thing, I find it hard to stifle the suspicion that they don't.

That’s because “counter-currents” is white supremacist bullshit, run by a piece of trash named Greg Johnson, that is meant to appeal to the Nazi, knuckle-dragger brigade (just like Travis, the user that posted this story). Meet Morrissey’s new audience!

4 words,YOUR A BIT LATE.

That’s because “counter-currents” is white supremacist bullshit, run by a piece of trash named Greg Johnson, that is meant to appeal to the Nazi, knuckle-dragger brigade (just like Travis, the user that posted this story). Meet Morrissey’s new audience!
Yes. I decided to ignore that and read the review anyway. Morrissey has messed up because he doesn't have a solid position that would appeal consistently to the alt-white morons. So he's going to shed a lot of longtime fans and then get some momentary attention from people that frequent sites like that. But anyone that is interested because of what he says about immigration is probably going to find things that they do not like.
This is why you have morons here calling other users "sodomite."
Morrissey and this site both deserve to be infested by these people. Their interest won't last. Then what?

high

she?
But, "By covering this song, Morrissey has succeeded in appealing to nobody in particular," is pretty funny. It's interesting that a political website spends more time talking about the music on each track.

I wouldn’t trust the opinion of anyone who uses the word “opaquer” or slots in the on-trend “tropes”. Each time I read an article these days it’s as though it’s written by the same humanoid. Pilgrimupnorth

whilst we are on the subject of being literate.
It’s - YOU’RE A BIT LATE. As in you are.
Ahh, the lost generation. Pilgrimupnorth
sorry teacher,i will write ANONYMOUS IS A DICK 100 times.

Tags
california son review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom