Search starts for body of 12-year-old Moors victim Keith Bennett

I am a Ghost

Last updated at 12:41 AM on 29th March 2010

Volunteers have begun searching for the body of a 12-year-old boy killed by Moors Murderers Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
The mother of Keith Bennett, who disappeared in 1964, says she believes the discovery of his body would be a deathblow for 72-year-old Brady.
Winnie Johnson, 76, said earlier this month: 'I'm Keith's mother... he's there on the Moors, I want him back. That's all I want out of life now because I want him found before I die, and before Brady dies, and that will kill Brady.

'He knows where he is, he admitted it and that's how I knew I would never find him alive again. I want the closure, yes, and I want him buried before anything happens to me.
'But I also want him buried knowing Brady's alive when they do it, because it's getting on his goat now.'
After police abandoned the official search last year, hundreds of people donated to the cost of a volunteer team.
The new search is being led by David Jones, director of the International Rescue Training Centre in Wales.
His team started on Saddleworth Moor on the Lancashire-Yorkshire border on Saturday and continued at a new area near the village of Greenfield yesterday.
Brady and Myra Hindley were jailed for life in 1966 over the killings of three youngsters.
In 1987 they admitted also murdering Keith and Pauline Reade, 16, who disappeared in 1963. Both killers were taken to Saddleworth Moor, but only Pauline's body was found.

I think it would be nice for his mother to have his body found. I've never really read about this case though. Is there a reason to believe it would effect his killer? I don't think people like this are affected by things like that.

The heart just has to break when you look at Winnie's face. The torment of a lost son should not result in a lost cause. They should torture Brady until he confesses, well, they already are doing by keeping him alive but there has to be some way that they can kick it out of him before he kicks the bucket.

My heart goes out to Winnie.

The heart just has to break when you look at Winnie's face. The torment of a lost son should not result in a lost cause. They should torture Brady until he confesses, well, they already are doing by keeping him alive but there has to be some way that they can kick it out of him before he kicks the bucket.

My heart goes out to Winnie.

Brady has said in the past that he would help the police in their search for the remains of Keith, i think they actually took him to the moores in the past to help them, but he claimed the police wouldnt listen to him.

It would be a fitting tribute to Keith if they did find his remains

I think it would be nice for his mother to have his body found. I've never really read about this case though. Is there a reason to believe it would effect his killer? I don't think people like this are affected by things like that.
Is it not because Brady wants released? And the discovery of the body would make that even more unlikely than it already is?

This story makes me very sad - I feel terrible for Winnie Johnson.

My heart goes out to the people in the neighborhood or area they're searching. My first day of college, teams of people were scouring the ivy and fields looking for the body of a murdered college girl, it was eeerie. We all knew her body was somewhere around and that scores of people were looking for it. Super surreal and kinda unsettling. Also I share the sentiment of the posters above who express closure for the mother.

I seem to remember Brady said he would tell them where the body was so long as they let him die.

Should be considered though that it was 40 plus years ago, I doubt Brady even remembers.

Is it not because Brady wants released? And the discovery of the body would make that even more unlikely than it already is?

This story makes me very sad - I feel terrible for Winnie Johnson.

Well, wikipedia says he doesn't want to be released and that he wants to die. People like that can't be trusted though. It's all a game to him, I would imagine.

When staying at a hotel in Tel Aviv in July 2008, a similar news item was broadcast on TV, one of few I could relate to in a foreign place - although Barak Obama had just passed through Jerusalem days before. That time, some human remains had been found that were suspected of being the Moors murder victim but needless to say, this proved not to be the case. Perhaps this more focused search will lead to the body and bring some ease to the family.

When staying at a hotel in Tel Aviv in July 2008, a similar news item was broadcast on TV, one of few I could relate to in a foreign place - although Barak Obama had just passed through Jerusalem days before. That time, some human remains had been found that were suspected of being the Moors murder victim but needless to say, this proved not to be the case. Perhaps this more focused search will lead to the body and bring some ease to the family.

Moors murder victim remains were though to be found in Tel Aviv? :confused:

Brady should be long gone by now, preferably by hanging. Evil c***s.

I'm 50/50 on it really, hanging him is what he wants, letting him live is killing him inside, its more torture for him by letting him live. although the amount of money being wasted on him, to keep him alive is why i'd just kill him

Back
Top Bottom