Morrissey Central & SER YT: “Once Upon A Woman’s Body” (October 30, 2021)

It always struck me over the years, either thru the lyrics or even in interviews, that while Morrissey's mother was happy to nurture his artistic side, that when it came time to find a partner she was very much in accordance with his father in that said partner should be a woman. I suspect it's great source of his guilt, this tacit understanding that in a crucial way he was letting his mother down (at least in his own mind.)

That is quite lovely.... as someone else said it has a bond theme vibe going on musically .... lyrically not so ( the antithesis of Bond ) .....

They should be re-recorded with different arrangements and different players :)
You remind me of Trigger from Only Fools And Horses. When Trigger claims he's had the same road sweeper broom for 20 years.

Trigger:
And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.

Sid:
How the hell can it be the same bloody broom then?

Gotta say, this is a beautiful little track; again love the guitar work & its little 'squiggles' - reminds me of something else but can't put my finger on it right now. Am I hearing a drum machine here? Regardless, these past 2 days have brought us 2 unknown, & unheard, rough diamonds, so am very grateful for this new 'lost' stuff, in whatever condition it might arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if it’s a few varieties of men/boys failing in there manly expectations or just one specific instance personal or otherwise. I first read laughed as ejaculated which might contradict the later idea of the not performing allusion to being gay some might read into it

You remind me of Trigger from Only Fools And Horses. When Trigger claims he's had the same road sweeper broom for 20 years.

Trigger:
And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.

Sid:
How the hell can it be the same bloody broom then?
Also known as the ship of Theseus!

Yes. Is it about a man lying with a woman, but he can't perform because it's not his true nature. And the parents are basically saying "you need to find a woman and make a home of your own because we won't live forever and you'll end up alone."

Or maybe he just couldn't perform. It does happen.

Beautiful song.

Morrissey's music has the power to reconnect me with his lyrical self, which I love, whenever I feel a bit disconnected from him...

Struggling to conform with society's/family/religious upbringing and find women sexually attractive, only to wilt when confronted with the fleshy reality. It's a familiar Morrissey refrain, but an affective one.

‘.... oh, you ran back to ma ....”

Yeah this one’s very good, lyrically far more interesting than ‘If Saturday’ though it’s melody reminds me of a couple other songs of his. With some work on the music, this one should have been released.
As far as the released songs go,
so far this one’s up there with ‘I Couldn’t Understand Why People Laughed’ for me.

Very nice.
My fav so far 👍

This song has dated a bit. It's 2021, and real women are now allowed to possess penises, so would no longer be a turn off . A win all round.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom