Morrissey Central & SER YT: “Once Upon A Woman’s Body” (October 30, 2021)

I knew what it would be like as soon as I saw the title of this song. Yet more tiresome lyrics about Morrissey’s disgust, physical revulsion and loathing of women – every bit as crass and misogynist as those lines in Autobio about “a mass of tangled hair… yawning like open graves”, the single teacher who will “die smelling of attics”, Julie Burchill’s “middle-aged legs” or the entirety of “Kick the Bride down the Aisle”.

It’s f***ing pathetic from a man of his age. He’s not like this just because he’s gay - I’ve never met one gay man who talks about women like grotesque, selfish, money-grabbing aliens just because he isn’t sexually attracted to them. And yet for all his contempt & his puerile, ‘yack, girls have cooties’ crap, he’s still trailing his boyfriend around as a 'PA' at 60+. Awful crap from a man with major Mummy issues, I’d put this song straight back on the shitheap.

Although none of these are very good, they're still better than anything on that world peace thing that I once threw out my car window in disgust.

Morrissey's disgust at the female body is old news. What teases my gusset are the final couple of lines. Who says "lamb sakes"?

Morrissey's disgust at the female body is old news. What teases my gusset are the final couple of lines. Who says "lamb sakes"?

precious forbid! mercy me! god be thanked! lamb sakes alive! he has divined! precious forbid!

I'd guess precious is the precious blood of Christ, And lamb is the Lamb of God, which is another name for Jesus.

And it's religious guilt that wouldn't let him name the problem.

I knew what it would be like as soon as I saw the title of this song. Yet more tiresome lyrics about Morrissey’s disgust, physical revulsion and loathing of women – every bit as crass and misogynist as those lines in Autobio about “a mass of tangled hair… yawning like open graves”, the single teacher who will “die smelling of attics”, Julie Burchill’s “middle-aged legs” or the entirety of “Kick the Bride down the Aisle”.

It’s f***ing pathetic from a man of his age. He’s not like this just because he’s gay - I’ve never met one gay man who talks about women like grotesque, selfish, money-grabbing aliens just because he isn’t sexually attracted to them. And yet for all his contempt & his puerile, ‘yack, girls have cooties’ crap, he’s still trailing his boyfriend around as a 'PA' at 60+. Awful crap from a man with major Mummy issues, I’d put this song straight back on the shitheap.

Well, it's certainly more interesting than "girl power" or the 5,000 pop songs a year about being strong and brave. I love Morrissey when he is going against the grain, unlikable and funny...in fact, isn't that why everyone here likes him? I don't get any of you people. So he has funny mean lyrics about women...or rather, all of humanity, including himself. He's Morrissey. You want Shiny Happy People? He can turn on the romance once in a while too, you know. And I figure a large portion of his material is character stuff anyway. Do any of you get what songwriting is? It's not an autobiography. Songs aren't a press conference. Songs are so many more interesting things than that. It's a chaotic smash up of feelings, experiences, fiction, non-fiction, wordplay, poetry, sometimes total nonsense. I find in my work it usually captures an extreme fleeting feeling. I'll feel rage for a moment, write a song, in 2 hours the feeling has gone, what was I angry about? Well it's in this song forever, and half of the lyrics are totally fiction, so there.

I missed this tranche of releases, so I'm working my way backwards from You Don't Need Their Approval.
This has a nice and warm 60s/early 70s film soundtrack vibe. With some chiseling and polishing this could be a fine piece. The title and the lyrics are keepers!

By the way, since nobody's mentioned it -- cover star Burt Reynolds does an incredible impression of Marlon Brando in the episode of The Twilight Zone pictured. Do yourself a favor and watch it, and discover one of the reasons Brando hated Reynolds to his core until the day he died.

This seems to sum things up concisely.

This one grows on me. I indirectly dissed it in the other thread, and maybe I was a bit harsh. Like several others have said, the guitar is great. So is the bass line. If the production - and the lyrics (not sure if they are queer or misogynist) - are polished this could be a good song.

I don't understand how this song can be misogynist, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Out of the three songs released over the weekend, this one, for me, is the weakest. However, musically it is lovely. I realised recently that my favourite songs on IANADOAC are co-written by Jesse Tobias, so it doesn't surprise me that I enjoy this. Whatever Tobias is doing, I hope he continues.

precious forbid! mercy me! god be thanked! lamb sakes alive! he has divined! precious forbid!

I'd guess precious is the precious blood of Christ, And lamb is the Lamb of God, which is another name for Jesus.

And it's religious guilt that wouldn't let him name the problem.
I think it's "Land Sake's Alive'?

The drums are the problem here for me but it could also be the mix with them being super up front. In the middle they kinda achieve that lonely disco beat that meets the emotional moment of the song but it’s the only moment when I didn’t think they were pretty out of place except for the end. If the drums had kept that busy but softer approach they had at the end it would have worked better IMO. It might be better still if they were a little less loud and busy in the beginning and the kicked into that groove after the the first third

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom