Share memories using the hashtag to appear on The Official Smiths site; new live track every Monday

#TheQueenIsDead

http://www.officialsmiths.co.uk/tqid/

Each Monday until release of the upcoming deluxe reissue of The Queen Is Dead, The Smiths will be releasing a previously unreleased live single version of each track from the album.

Share your memories of each track using the relevant hashtags to appear on the site.

Posted by Famous when dead in the comments:

"Recorded live at the Irvine Meadows, Laguna Hills on 28th August, 1986. Live track does not feature on Deluxe Edition. Pre-order The Queen Is Dead (Deluxe):"
https://lnk.to/TQIDMP

The full 'video' just placed on YT:

40486_tqid_live.jpg

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Maher. Reckon how bout Roger (Jim) McGuinn? That is who John Maher copied. He is not unique. Do you brittish people have any original music you invented yourself without copying American music?

There is some truth in that he was inspired and influenced by Jim McGuinn (that is a Scottish name, inn init?) more so then recognized by many but he, Johnny Maher, was honest about that and said so.
Not Roger. Although they were both the same person.
Copied? no.
I remember the whole bunch of American surfdudes trying to copy the Beatles, yes, I do.

I love Morrissey's solo work as well. He's had many brilliant moments ... but I don't think at any point it's surpassed or even touched The Smiths. I know some people are going to hate on that. Honestly not trying to demean any of his writing partners since Johnny but I just don't think their music challenges and elevates what Morrissey can do the way Johnny's consistently did. It's certainly possible to enjoy them both and not compare - but if we're on the subject of comparing...

.....Moz sounds like an elephant and Johnny as a modest mouse.

It's Maher. Reckon how bout Roger (Jim) McGuinn? That is who John Maher copied. He is not unique. Do you brittish people have any original music you invented yourself without copying American music?

Erm... Bert Jansch? Influenced them all... Do yourself a favour, check him out and then play 'spot the influence' when you listen back to The Smiths, Byrds or Roddy Frame, among others.

Excellent! Respect to Matt Walker's power drumming. And ever Jess really cuts through with this spinning guitar riffs. Makes a mockery of those who don't rate Moz's band...

Crikey! I've played this so may times in a row and busted me nut over it that me nuts are now actually really busted!

Have to agree apart from Viva Hate. The Smiths were about great storytelling and Viva Hate is still that.

Then the man got blinded by the big lights.

The music on Viva Hate perfectly complimented Morrissey's strengths and you can hear the result. Someone mentioned that Viva Hate is the only Morrissey record you would listen to just for the music. It's really tragic that the Morrissey/Street relationship didn't go further - they had at least another album in them.

It's impossible to listen to the sheer force of nature The Smiths were at their peak and treat anything Morrissey has released in the last decade or so with anything but contempt.
Strong words, I know.

PS: Life is very long when you are a bouncer.

And nothing Marr (or the other two) have done has even come close to what they did in the Smiths, only Morrissey has come the closest out of the bunch, the Arsenal tour was raw and powerful ! BUT, was Morrissey ever trying to repeat what the Smiths had already done? I think 'Kill Uncle' was clearly M saying that 'Smiths is dead' with the direction that music took. And I don't think any of them, and we should include all 4 members if we are going to compare each with their past and present glories, have ever gotten as close as Morrissey as far as continuing after the Smiths split to make music that really matters to people(even in the last decade). And why do people always zoom in on Morrissey when making comparisons to the Smiths?.. it's as if Morrissey WAS the Smiths!, and there may be some truth in that.
Strong words, I know. :cool:

Last edited:
All I said was that the output in the last decade or so pales by comparison to The Smiths at their best.
I think that much is clear to anyone with a discerning ear.

We don't need yet another thesis where you get to defend Morrissey at all costs.
I am not interested in how close Marr, Rourke or Joyce ever got to reproducing the brilliance of the Smiths.
I am a Morrissey fan, and this is why I am interested in comparing his output to that of The Smiths.

Next.

Each Monday until release of the upcoming deluxe reissue of The Queen Is Dead, The Smiths will be releasing a previously unreleased live single version of each track from the album.

Thank you very much indeed The Smiths! But be careful about promising more than you can deliver, since, unless you know something I don't, there is no previously unreleased live version of Some Girls.

For those who care about such things, this version of TQID is noticeably clearer than the bootleg recording from the same gig, and also runs a bit faster. Could do with more bass, though.

Last edited:
Well, I guess we are spoilt getting the 96kHz / 24-bit PCM stereo version of the album on the DVD.
I'm not that audio-minded to care about that version for its sound merits though - I'd rather of had some actual new visual footage. Two more versions of an album I own a quantity of just doesn't enthuse and I find myself agreeing with those asserting that 96kHz was just an industry marketing ploy that was quite unnecessary.
Regards,
FWD.

Well, I guess we are spoilt getting the 96kHz / 24-bit PCM stereo version of the album on the DVD.
I'm not that audio-minded to care about that version for its sound merits though - I'd rather of had some actual new visual footage. Two more versions of an album I own a quantity of just doesn't enthuse and I find myself agreeing with those asserting that 96kHz was just an industry marketing ploy that was quite unnecessary.
Regards,
FWD.

96K is a total waste of your time on anything but the most demanding audio material.

Thank you very much indeed The Smiths! But be careful about promising more than you can deliver, since, unless you know something I don't, there is no previously unreleased live version of Some Girls.

For those who care about such things, this version of TQID is noticeably clearer than the bootleg recording from the same gig, and also runs a bit faster. Could do with more bass, though.

Crikey! You got at least 8 more unheard in this quality Smiths Live tracks ahead of you for FREE and yet you still whine.

All I said was that the output in the last decade or so pales by comparison to The Smiths at their best.
I think that much is clear to anyone with a discerning ear.

We don't need yet another thesis where you get to defend Morrissey at all costs.
I am not interested in how close Marr, Rourke or Joyce ever got to reproducing the brilliance of the Smiths.
I am a Morrissey fan, and this is why I am interested in comparing his output to that of The Smiths.

Next.

But why WHY compare JUST Morrissey to the Smiths output at all? why zoom in on him? NOT unless you are attacking him?

I'm NOT 'defending' him I'M simply stating what anyone can see.

'I am a Morrissey fan, and this is why I am interested in comparing his output to that of The Smiths.'

o.k. fine, but please let's not forget the others, or maybe you also believe that Morrissey WAS the Smiths? one should at least try to be fair in their criticism, it's all about balance.
'Next' ? :rofl:

p.s. I.R. don't be afraid to reply directly to my posts, I don't bite. ;)

Last edited:
But why WHY compare JUST Morrissey to the Smiths output at all? why zoom in on him? NOT unless you are attacking him?

I'm NOT 'defending' him I'M simply stating what anyone can see.

'I am a Morrissey fan, and this is why I am interested in comparing his output to that of The Smiths.'

o.k. fine, but please let's not forget the others, or maybe you also believe that Morrissey WAS the Smiths? one should at least try to be fair in their criticism, it's all about balance.
'Next' ? :rofl:

p.s. I.R. don't be afraid to reply directly to my posts, I don't bite. ;)

I believe this The Smiths versus Morrissey debate is a european versus american thing. Morrissey went solo and then the americans noticed it in far bigger numbers like the bandwagon jumpers they come across as being when it comes to his past that they always deny.

Americans when it comes to The Smiths probably feel they were a bit too late for that train so Morrissey as a solo artist became like this compensation. Americans and mexicans championed him like he was theirs and of course he saw a market over there and acted on it.

I can definitely see why europeans prefer The Smiths to Morrissey and Moz started off well as a solo artist but the decline was rapid. The Smiths are and forever will be the greatest band in history but even then it was all about Morrissey and his lyrics and his interviews and persona. The way he owned a stage in a way never seen before or after.

After being in a band like The Smiths it is a bit like a footballer leaving Man United. There is only one way and that is down.

European fans have The Smiths and the americans and mexicans can have Morrissey. Comparing the two is like comparing a Nobel prize winner in literature with paperbacks sold at the airport by some tacky writer loved by housewives.

Our taste is like our bottoms, divided!

I was looking for a yob and then I found a mob and heaven knows I'm a hooligan now!

Regards,
FWD.

:thumb:

Back in the day, a crappy tape of the album could change and save ones life repeatedly, why does anyone think that an upgrade in fidelity is going to convert or win anyone new over to the Smiths? The power to move someone is in the song, not on what format is used to make playable that information. Yes, 'quite unnecessary'. As always... more missed opportunities to give people what they really want.

:thumb:

Back in the day, a crappy tape of the album could change and save ones life repeatedly

Yes.

Make no mistake, I love The Smiths. So, the conjunction that comes next is deliberately not "but".....

....and I believe, (may it be many decades from now) that power is what people will remember about Morrissey when he's gone ....the way his lyrics spoke to so many of us who felt angry, or alienated, or unloveable. Surely the alchemy we hear on TQID and elsewhere was a product of the chemistry with Marr, the times, the North...but the turn of phrase, the nuance, the voice, the voice, the voice rings in the mind

Tags
the smiths tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom