Simon Armitage talking Moz on BBC6

Right now BBC 6 Music is broadcasting new series Paper Back Writers, Simon will start talking about Morrissey after the news.

Right now BBC 6 Music is broadcasting new series Paper Back Writers, Simon will start talking about Morrissey after the news.

he has done so now. He said moz was one of only two people in music who might be a poet. Dylan was the other. Then he said he 'had the pleasure of meeting Morrissey earlier this year'. then he went 'mmh'. That was it. There's still 10 mins left though

he has done so now. He said moz was one of only two people in music who might be a poet. Dylan was the other...

The Johnnie-come-lately of verse has changed his tune so. Proper order!

What disappointed me was hearing him say that Dylan and Morrissey don't quite cut it as poets because when you read their lyrics without the writing, you can see that they haven't done what poets are supposed to do. Isn't that sad? Imagine that being the criteria for Pablo Picasso's painting early back in the last century! It's an institutional measurement, not one of impact, and which is more defining for poetry? :squiffy:

What disappointed me was hearing him say that Dylan and Morrissey don't quite cut it as poets because when you read their lyrics without the writing, you can see that they haven't done what poets are supposed to do. Isn't that sad? Imagine that being the criteria for Pablo Picasso's painting early back in the last century! It's an institutional measurement, not one of impact, and which is more defining for poetry? :squiffy:

What are poets supposed to do according to Armitage exactly? Bore people to death? Then he has succeeded. There is just no more poetic way to put it than that.

Does he mean pentameter or some other fuddy-duddy rhythmic meter. Morrissey and Dylan are postmodern poets who's words can stand alone on paper. The fact that their words also follow a complex melody make them even more appealing.

Actually Morrissey and Dylan can be considered old-hat compared to the modern poets or spoken word poets coming out of the hip-hop/rap tradition. I'm not talking about P Diddy or any of those folks. I'm speaking of young people speaking their minds in an expressive way in front of an audience. Modern poetry in the oral tradition. Very compelling to hear.

There is something about Armetage that just reeks of snobbery. Don't like him. Never will.

I think I meant to say 'the lyrics without the music' there. :o

It's a nice little pastime to discuss form, but poetry should help people somehow too, to feel, understand more, better...which is admitted by most bignoses - http://www.amazon.com/Poetry-Theory-Anthology-1900-2000-Anthologies/dp/0631225544/ref=pd_sim_b_4

The word 'poetry' goes way back and derives from a description of general creative acts involving language. Aristotle included songs in his critiques of poetry. The jury's still out. However, some people have developed their own guidelines for quality, such as this one:

Poetry is like fish: if it’s fresh, it’s good; if it’s stale, it’s bad; and if you’re not certain, try it on the cat. - Osbert Sitwell :p

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom