Sing You To Sleep...

Randy Darling

Morrissey`s Lad
Lately,I have begun to engage the practice of having music on,to put me to sleep.Music has always played a big part in my life,mainly in building up my creative juices.A few weeks ago though,I left a song from Radiohead`s last album on and fell asleep.I slept really well considering that I had always been prone to uneasy if violent dreams,so now I have even got a playlist which consists of Radiohead`s House Of Cards,a few instrumentals and the live version fo Life is a Pigsty with the lullaby at the end,so I was wondering if anyone else were doing this,and if so/if not what songs do/would you choose to put you to sleep.

Randy

I do this. Perfected it over the years! I find any song will work as long as you listen to a group of songs over and over.

Try these:
Dolly Parton - Travelin' Thru
These Old Bones
Coat of Many Colors
Elvis Presley - Kentucky Rain
Love Me
Nina Simone - I Wish I Would Know How It Would Feel To Be Free
Gladys Night - Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me
Dean Martin - I'm Yours
Return To Me
Blur - Tender
Antony And The Johnsons - Fistful Of Love
David Gray - We're Not Right
Badly Drawn Boy - The Shining
Johnny Cash - One
Solomon Burke - Cry To Me
The Bloodhound Gang - The Ballad Of Chasey Lain
The Beatles - A Day In The Life
The Beach Boys - Cotton Fields

Happy Slumbers.x

Bach's Goldberg Variations, the Glenn Gould version from 1959 or thereabouts.

I always listen to it in hotel rooms, drops me right off.

My kids have been falling asleep to a "Baby's First Classics" (Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin...) and "Smart Music (Classical Music for Babies)" CD for years... I can't do music (but sometimes TV) I just need a constant droning noise...like a fan, etc...

sleepy tracks

most of the 1st Richard Hawley lp
Smiths - Well i Wonder
my bloody valentine - loveless
the songs of leonard cohen
Nick Cave - the boatman's call

Brian Eno's Apollo lp is the one true answer.
Easy sleep and creepy dreams, guaranteed!

When I'm ill and can't sleep but need to it's either that or some good shoegaze, like Slowdive or Daysleepers on the headphones and I'm off. Otherwise I just need the TV on. Fresh Prince of Bel Air is the best sleeping pill ever if you've seen every ep. like I have.

Last edited:
Lately,I have begun to engage the practice of having music on,to put me to sleep.Music has always played a big part in my life,mainly in building up my creative juices.A few weeks ago though,I left a song from Radiohead`s last album on and fell asleep.I slept really well considering that I had always been prone to uneasy if violent dreams,so now I have even got a playlist which consists of Radiohead`s House Of Cards,a few instrumentals and the live version fo Life is a Pigsty with the lullaby at the end,so I was wondering if anyone else were doing this,and if so/if not what songs do/would you choose to put you to sleep.

Randy

I tried that once, but instead of putting me to sleep, it got me totally excited. I was so carried away. On a second thought, I do listen to his music when travelling (and I travel a lot). Hated for Loving is my chill-out music. :)

Sounds nice. I sleep with a noise machine, on "rain". :)

Doesn't it make you wanna pee? :o

I can't listen to music when I'm going to sleep, it wakes me up. I have the radio on all night though, (my parents just love it), on radio 5, but the problem with that is that sometimes they have a good debate on just as I'm trying to go to sleep and I end up getting angry and texting in and pacing about :p I can't sleep with silence though, I end up with a really high pitched noise going round my head, and I get too bored, it always takes me about 40 minutes to get to sleep...

i really cant sleep with music on,i prefer the tv on,generally on msnbc,so i basically fall asleep to the sounds and words of those prison docs,that may explain alot.:rolleyes:

but if i had to choose an album to listne ot to fall asleep to,i would say "penthouse" by luna

Doesn't it make you wanna pee? :o

No :p

I've tried 'white noise' but it's overwhelming, too much 'static'. Rain is just right. For a good, scary time, I put it on 'heartbeat' ;) j/k

I'm sad... For years, I haven't sleep without something making a constant noise (fan, noise machine, etc.) If it's too quiet, I have a hard time sleeping. My brothers are the same way. I blame my parents for buying us noise machines one Xmas long ago :p

course there is always those exceptions if I'm sick or hungover that I can sleep to anything.

true.

i always kind of preferred Damon and Naomi over Luna :eek:

really?!?!?

i am way more partial to luna.

i like dean wareham,he is a strange and odd man,and his mix of boston,nyc and new zealand accent is different.

here ,this is him singing a luna song and it fits the thread as some may recall vh1 used to play these little videos at midnight as a good night thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
really?!?!?

i am way more partial to luna.

i like dean wareham,he is a strange and odd man,and his mix of boston,nyc and new zealand accent is different.

here ,this is him singing a luna song and it fits the thread as some may recall vh1 used to play these little videos at midnight as a good night thing.

ah i like that song.

The "Disintegration" album by The Cure.

Haven't tried it, but would also want to try to listen to the song "Sound A-Sleep" by Blondie to put me to sleep. Both the title and the song itself sounds like it kind of was made for that...it's a good song.

Back
Top Bottom