smiths reunion, would moz want to share the limelight?

TOBIN

i honestly feel there will be some sort of reunion in the next couple of years whether it will be just mozz/marr on their own is another thing.
But i have wondered if part of the reason moz refuses any reunion is the fact the limelight would be shared and not just on him,,which we know he loves..just a thought..steve

Re: smiths reunion,would moz want to share the limelight?

Doubt it

This is a charge levelled at most singers, and it's total crap.

If you're a singer, it's your job to be up front and be the focus for the band. It's nothing to do with "not wanting to share the limelight".

Remember, Morrissey was happy in The Smiths, he wasn't the one who left because he wasn't getting enough attention.

This is a charge levelled at most singers, and it's total crap.

If you're a singer, it's your job to be up front and be the focus for the band. It's nothing to do with "not wanting to share the limelight".

Remember, Morrissey was happy in The Smiths, he wasn't the one who left because he wasn't getting enough attention.

enlighten me, who left and why? :o (sorry, I just never got to that part)

i honestly feel there will be some sort of reunion in the next couple of years whether it will be just mozz/marr on their own is another thing.
But i have wondered if part of the reason moz refuses any reunion is the fact the limelight would be shared and not just on him,,which we know he loves..just a thought..steve

I think the reason is more basic than that, and you can hear it in the songs on YOR. He doesn't live in the past. There may be other reasons but that's the big one as far as I can tell. I hope he sticks to his guns and refuses every offer to reform, now matter how lucrative.

i read the other day how the term limelight came into being, i did not know lime glowed when it was heated,this was discovered and t it was then used for spotlights in theaters.interesting.

i hope there is never a smiths reunion.

morrissey has a huge loyal following as a solo performer built up in the last 22 yrs,even though the demand is there for a reunion of the smiths it could be in his view a backward step for his career,how well he gets on with marr is another thing,but something stood out in the zane lowe interview the other day when he said he wouldnt want to share the stage with anyone,,pause for thought..the stage is his and his alone no matter what money you throw at him,,,steve.

I guess I am confused with his comments regarding the fact there is no reason to reform it is usually a disappointment, fans are never happy etc. yet he was very involved with the reunion of the New York Dolls, they were his heroes and yet he cant see why we would love to see The Smiths together again. I would expect a Morrissey/Marr album and tour, however I dont think we will see The Smiths again.

While I would not hold my breath, it would not shock me to see a Morrissey / Marr tour or at the least a single released or something like that.

No, not the Smiths, but Morrissey and Marr.

People said we would never see The Police, Rage Against the Machine or Led Zeppelin appear again on stage and they have been proven wrong.

I guess I am confused with his comments regarding the fact there is no reason to reform it is usually a disappointment, fans are never happy etc. yet he was very involved with the reunion of the New York Dolls, they were his heroes and yet he cant see why we would love to see The Smiths together again. I would expect a Morrissey/Marr album and tour, however I dont think we will see The Smiths again.

The difference is that the Dolls never got a fair shake, at least in his mind, and there was no other way for the Dolls to annoy (er...win over) people in the 21st Century than to have them reform. As the documentary on the Dolls shows, he may also have wanted to do it for Arthur Kane, given his special circumstances.

The other thing is, in Morrissey's mind, The Smiths are alive. He is The Smiths. ("They're my songs, not anybody else's".) There's no need to reunite what isn't split up.

Last edited:

Great point Worm, he does play Smiths songs live and that very well could be all we get. I ve seen Morrissey twice and was never disappointed. I would love to see the Smiths play, however it may not happen. I dont think it is about sharing the limelight though.

People "were hoping" we would never see The Police, Rage Against the Machine or Led Zeppelin appear again on stage and they have been proven wrong.

There I fixed that for ya... ;)

There I fixed that for ya... ;)

Heeeeeeey

I loved the Police in '07.

To each their own... lol

thi is a hoax 100 percent, isnt it? :eek:
from the mainboard the last comments from the michigan concerts

"offical The Smith to play 7 date usa tour 2010 "
Johnny Marr phoned up Radio 1 today and spoke on air with Jo whilley and told her that The Smiths have confirmed that they have put aside their differences to play a run of 7 nights at MSG in NYC Jan 2010. Speaking in Liverpool today Johnny Marr also said that The band are also close to confirming dates at O2 areana in London in May 2010. Marr confirmed that Himself Morrissey and Andy Rourke will be joined by Chris Sharrock former Icicle works and Oasis drummer.

When asked why they decided to reform Marr said " I meet with Morrissey in new york at the early march 2009 and spend a week with him we had a lot of things to talk about and resolve. these have now been laid to rest and we wanted to get get together one last time before it was too late and also he joked that the money would be helpful in making his old age more comfortable. asked about plans to record again he said lets get the tours out the way first. "One thing at a time. The reasons we parted the first time was because we took on too
much and this brought about the pressure that split the band up."
Anonymous -- Wednesday April 01 2009, @06:36AM (#326468)

re
I've been in a state of shock since I heard this today on radio. How much would the ticket cost? anyone any idea?
Anonymous -- Wednesday April 01 2009, @06:52AM (#326473)

thi is a hoax 100 percent, isnt it? :eek:
from the mainboard the last comments from the michigan concerts

April fool....
Cheers Moz

April fool....
Cheers Moz

oh totally forgot that today is the 1st of april..ooopps...:blushing::head-smack::doh:

Last edited:
Jones, you imply that Marr left to seek attention or because he wasnt getting any attention. that is untrue, he left to the states because he was fed up of putting all the work in on the songs, he literally managed the band, with morrissey adding the lyrics. when he left he was coming back until someone told nme theyd split, which pissed him off royally. personally i think the smiths should be left well alone now, there music is timeless, so lets just let mozza get on with what he does best....control the stage!!

Back
Top Bottom