Smiths tribute night axed over Morrissey's politics - Birmingham Live

Smiths tribute night axed as organisers tire of defending Morrissey's politics - Birmingham Live
Dwindling crowds at Panic on the Streets of Birmingham at Eden Bar

Quote: "A Birmingham (UK) tribute night dedicated to The Smiths has been axed - after organisers grew tired of defending Morrissey's controversial political views."

Seems a bit drastic as Smiths/Morrissey fans are disappointed the popular evening out was pulled:

"Many fans took to social media to express their sadness at the news.

On Facebook, Danny Grainger said: "Me and my dad came to the first one it was brilliant great memories. I also met an ex-girlfriend at one of these nights, hope you have some good photos."

John Keir commented: "Great disco and has been a brilliant after-show following the Brum gigs. A real shame. Thanks for some great nights."

2_JS55971765.jpg

UPDATE 4:50PM PT:

Posted by Famous when dead:

The actual post & reaction:

Last edited by a moderator:
An overwhelming overreaction by spineless members of a democratic society; what's next, book burnings and an indoctrination of our youth? Free Speeh is the essential foundation of a Free-Society; however, it seems those with insecure emotions would like to silence an opinion of another's ideal or thought---whose really the voice of hate; I wonder?

England was white. You can't rewrite history, not successfully, not unless you kill off all the people who know the truth. England was never a crime-ridden, multicultural, alienating mess until very recently.

You are an establishment fool and tool. And they've indoctrinated you well because you don't even realize this.

England has always been multi-cultural - maybe not the multi-cultural that would meet your jaundiced view but mulit-cultural it has been. Are you trying to rewrite history? It seems so .... shall we peek at the iron age:
  • Atrebates (gaul)
  • Belgae (belgian)
  • Cantiaci (celts)
  • Catuvellauni (brittonic)
  • Gangani (irish)
  • Caledonii (scots /picts)
That's to say nothing of pre and post iron age incusrions onto UK soil.

In regards to crime, I refer you to this:

"The records of these courts, along with fragments from the south west, suggest that the indictment of serious crime rose rapidly over the last two decades of the sixteenth century, and reached particularly high levels during the second half of the 1590s, when a run of bad harvests created severe hardship at the base of society. The situation eased in the early seventeenth century, but again reached crisis pro- portions in response to various problems (bad harvests, trade depressions, the disruption caused by plague, and the strains of keeping a war going) which mounted as the 1620s progressed. " J. Sharpe.

You are the establishment fool and tool. You've been indoctrinated but you don't even realise this.

An overwhelming overreaction by spineless members of a democratic society; what's next, book burnings and an indoctrination of our youth? Free Speeh is the essential foundation of a Free-Society; however, it seems those with insecure emotions would like to silence an opinion of another's ideal or thought---whose really the voice of hate; I wonder?

Or, or ... a decision reached by people who have the same right to the free speech you proclaim as essential. Is it only essential if you approve it?

‘If anything, he should hope that Morrissey keeps speaking his mind.’

Why do you think that?

Because when Morrissey speaks what's on his mind and Smiths fans disagree with him, it opens their minds to a new appreciation of Johnny Marr's role in the Smiths, his talent and music.

Because when Morrissey speaks what's on his mind and Smiths fans disagree with him, it opens their minds to a new appreciation of Johnny Marr's role in the Smiths, his talent and music.

So if Morrissey didn’t give ‘Smiths fans’
a reason to hate, they would then see Marr for what he really is?

That’s wacky.
:lbf:

Another thread, another irrelevant comment from Reelfountain attempting to spread discontentment and hatred.

Shall we dive in?

"but it was a virtually all-white country until very, very recently." More than a little vague here - as is the norm. What is the period of time to which you are referring when you state with confidence "very recently"? Can you clarify what you mean by "virtually all-white" with some statistical analysis? I'm sure you have demographic data to hand - otherwise why would you have made such a statement presenting itself as fact? It would also be quite helpful, you know, for those of us who haven't read the alt-right handbook what you mean by white? Is there a spectrum? Is there some kind of test that one can take to prove one's whiteness?

Ah the world of the misleading generalisation ...

" ... people naturally prefer their own race. Anthropological studies have proven this, but you can see it with your own eyes." I'd be keen to read these anthropological studies, that have not been cited, that explicitly confirm that people, 'naturally' prefer their own race. It'd also be helpful to be provided with a defintion of what 'naturally' means in this context - as it stands it's more than a little unclear.

"Schoolchildren in London, for example. Go past any school at lunchtime when kids go out or at hometime. Ethnic groups flock together." Kids can and do flock together at lunchtime, hometime and indeed lots of other times. I haven't ever read a study, perhaps you could avail me of one, that confirms that children come together on such occasions based solely on their ethnicity.

The propagandists try to sell us diversity as a melting pot, but by and large it isn't. People may live side by side on a street but look at people's friendship groups. Most whites hang with whites and most blacks with blacks. You can even see this on social media and dating sites. The most telling thing about this paragraph is that you troll social media dating sites and have seemingly calculated the ratio of - let's say white and non-whites that seems as though it might be easier for you to understand - crossover and non-crossover of ethnicities engaging in social media dating. As you've clearly done all of the work, your statement was factual afterall all, wasnt it? Perhaps you'd like to provide us with the statisitcs and references that support your assertion?

Mixing is a minority thing, and the norm is for people to choose their own ethnicity in everything. How, or indeed why you came to this conclusion is more than a little contardictory. Your constant refrain has been that the white race is being diluted by blacks, asians, jews etc. But ... if all ethnicities only choose their own ethnicity in EVERYTHING then how is your argument about the dilution of the white race supported? You seemed to have tripped over your own shoe-laces of stupidity there. Tsk!

This is priceless. It outs reelfountain as the utter moron we all know her to be. :thumb::);)

Who really cares that some shit hole in brumm has cancelled a moz night..looks like the kind of establishment that you wipe your feet on the way out.... never no panic in the streets of Carlisle, we will always be true to you

Personally I think the cancellation must be due to the lack of promotion. I live locally and I've never heard of the bloody thing!

Agreed though, venue does look like hell on earth. Come Armageddon, come!

So if Morrissey didn’t give ‘Smiths fans’
a reason to hate, they would then see Marr for what he really is?

That’s wacky.
:lbf:

True, it is wacky, because Marr should have been recognized all along. But it is a real phenomenon and as outlined above, working splendidly! :)

True, it is wacky, because Marr should have been recognized all along. But it is a real phenomenon and as outlined above, working splendidly! :)

Yes it’s a wonder why Smiths fans need to work so hard to see the worth in Johnny.

Interesting no?

:D

If Moz were to take position that global warming was, in fact, rubbish, he would again be vilified, hunted with torches and hung at the cross by the left....all over again...it's not a crime to have an opinion...if you don't agree, don't listen or buy his music, and most certainly, don't come here....If his detractors ruled the world, people would fear for their families, jobs and own lives...sound familiar?

This is priceless. It outs reelfountain as the utter moron we all know her to be. :thumb::);)

The icing on the cake.

"Mixing is a minority thing, and the norm is for people to choose their own ethnicity in everything." How, or indeed why you came to this conclusion is more than a little contardictory. Your constant refrain has been that the white race is being diluted by blacks, asians, jews etc. But ... if all ethnicities only choose their own ethnicity in EVERYTHING then how is your argument about the dilution of the white race supported? You seemed to have tripped over your own shoe-laces of stupidity there. Tsk!

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Yes it’s a wonder why Smiths fans need to work so hard to see the worth in Johnny.

Interesting no?

Man, I saw that footage of his festival appearance trying to sing Smiths tunes...I couldn't, I just couldn't.....I hope those kids knew the difference...

Interesting no?

Seriously, I realize it's because they were bedazzled by Morrissey as singer and spokesperson. They didn't realize he didn't write, arrange and produce the music. They didn't even think about it. The Smiths were also Johnny's band and he is just now stepping up to take his rightful place in their legacy.

"Just to clear things up.

The night has finished at Eden because of dwindling numbers. The owners have been amazing to us! We stand with Morrissey every step of the way. We are "tired" of the mainstream bullshit slurs when our night was and will be in the future about the music!

Have a fab weekend everyone xxx

LP&H"

- Panic on the Streets of Birmingham Official Facebook statement 19 hrs ago

https://en-gb.facebook.com/smithsdiscobrum/

Last edited:

When Morrissey speaks what's on his mind and Smiths fans disagree, it comes in handy when Johnny also offers to play these songs. Fans can continue to enjoy these songs with a clear conscience. So yes, Morrissey's loss may well be Marr's gain. But isn't it reflectant more a reassessment of Morrissey's personality than of Marr's contribution to the Smiths ?

We should be grateful there is no reason to go to one of the most depressing places on earth. This will lower the number of murders and rapes and this way the inbred population can rape and murder each other instead which in time will lower the social problems.

The good thing with crime is that criminals kill each other and that clean up job is all on them.

"Just to clear things up.

The night has finished at Eden because of dwindling numbers. The owners have been amazing to us! We stand with Morrissey every step of the way. We are "tired" of the mainstream bullshit slurs when our night was and will be in the future about the music!

Have a fab weekend everyone xxx

LP&H"

- Panic on the Streets of Birmingham Official Facebook statement 19 hrs ago

https://en-gb.facebook.com/smithsdiscobrum/

I think, given some of Morrissey's recent comments, actions and endorsements that perhaps the phrase "We stand with Morrissey every step of the way". Would be best revised. Your night may have been about the music - I genuinely think it was, club nights are not easy things to run - and I'm sure it was incredible fun. However, I'm not at all clear about what you mean about mainstream bullshit slurs? Most fans that I know (UK wide and Ireland, mostly), gradually stopped attending Smiths/Morrissey club nights across the UK following the 'chinese' comment. More and more stopped until, in 2017, they left his fan base in their droves. I think if anyone wishes to remain a fan then that's their business. But I'm tired of the misdirected blame game.

I didn't stop supporting Morrissey because of the mainstream media. The hundreds of folk I know well, fans like me since the days of the Smiths; following both The Smiths and Morrissey with approx. 100 shows or more each - made our decisions to depart based on statements made directly by Morrissey on his own website/twitter feed. It's more than a little insulting to be constantly told that we're the established, mainstream media's puppets when the established, mainstream media had nothing at all to do with our decisions. Morrissey did.

I'd really hope that those that want to continue to be fans don't get lost to the alt-right entryist within this forum; people who have no interest in Morrissey whatsover and who's only aim is to sow discontent: racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, misogyny, anti-semitism etc. There are a good deal of disgruntled fans and ex-fans and I believe they have every right to express their feelings: their anger, their sense of loss, their hopes, their frustrations and their disappointments. I believe that those that wish to continue supporting Morrissey are entitled to express those feelings too. However, I remain concerned that the alt-right will succeed in their aim i.e.: fan against fan - those fans that have chosen to remain and those that have chosen to question or leave. The poison has been pouring into this site for over 2 years; relatively slowly at first but of late there has been a deluge of bilge perpetrated by the entryists in an attempt to exploit the rawness of the feeling of fans and ex-fans. You only have to look at the threads to see just how quickly a topic is hijacked to reflect an alt-right sermon. They seem to be winning?

It hurt like hell when I decided I could no longer support Morrissey. Billy Bragg used the term heart broken in his article. That's exactly how I felt. I have puchased all but one of all the Smiths/Morrissey releases on the day it's release. When I decided not to do this with California Son, I cried. I have no issue with my decision, my emotions just totally overwhelmed me.

If people feel the need to have a enemy then please make sure you know who your enemy is.

When Morrissey speaks what's on his mind and Smiths fans disagree, it comes in handy when Johnny also offers to play these songs. Fans can continue to enjoy these songs with a clear conscience. So yes, Morrissey's loss may well be Marr's gain. But isn't it reflectant more a reassessment of Morrissey's personality than of Marr's contribution to the Smiths ?

I think it is both. I don't think Marr's contributions to the Smiths were that well known prior to the release of his book, unless you were a super fan. I really do think that he has chosen to tour extensively and stay in the public eye to counter so many fans abandoning the Smiths due to Morrissey's political views. He acts unconcerned in interviews, but it's got to gnaw at him. And if anything, Marr is a man of purposeful action. I just watched a YouTube of him playing "There Is a Light" with thousands singing along - it was electrifying.

I think it is both. I don't think Marr's contributions to the Smiths were that well known prior to the release of his book, unless you were a super fan. I really do think that he has chosen to tour extensively and stay in the public eye to counter so many fans abandoning the Smiths due to Morrissey's political views. He acts unconcerned in interviews, but it's got to gnaw at him. And if anything, Marr is a man of purposeful action. I just watched a YouTube of him playing "There Is a Light" with thousands singing along - it was electrifying.

Then I guess the casual listener of the Smiths will never know ‘Marr’s contributions’ because I don’t think one would read his book unless they were a super fan in the first place.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom