Southpaw Grammar

skull

I have fallen in love with Southpaw Grammar. In the glorious occasion of this splendid reissue, I have just discovered...this album is far better than it's usually considered, and, yes, it makes me...trip...
Southpaw supporters! Let's change the course of history and scream loud how good this album really is! Very good and wise change of direction after Vauxhall. Vauxhall number 2 would have failed compared to the first, or would have ruined it.
Morrissey is Great.

I loved it when it first came out and don't understand all the bad press it got. I think the reissue ruined it though to be honest.

I have fallen in love with Southpaw Grammar. In the glorious occasion of this splendid reissue, I have just discovered...this album is far better than it's usually considered, and, yes, it makes me...trip...
Southpaw supporters! Let's change the course of history and scream loud how good this album really is! Very good and wise change of direction after Vauxhall. Vauxhall number 2 would have failed compared to the first, or would have ruined it.
Morrissey is Great.

What a shame it took all this time and a reissue for you to realize this. It's been on the shelves since 1995 and was an awesome album to hear live along with Maladjusted during the 1997 tour. It certainly didn't need a changed setlist or any new songs but as long as you're listening to the songs in whatever guise welcome to the school of hard knocks and play it loud! :D

Last edited:
Much prefer the reissue.

Could still do without 'Southpaw' and 'Teachers Are Afraid...', find them far too self-indulgent and by using them in the original edition as bookend made the album impenetrable, but appreciate their part in the album (even if I can't bare to listen to them).

Think the new album flows better, and is one of my most listened too (with two skips, of course).

Much prefer the reissue.

Could still do without 'Southpaw' and 'Teachers Are Afraid...', find them far too self-indulgent and by using them in the original edition as bookend made the album impenetrable, but appreciate their part in the album (even if I can't bare to listen to them).

Think the new album flows better, and is one of my most listened too (with two skips, of course).

Lol just delete them if they are causing you this much anguish.

Life's too short ;)

Much prefer the reissue.

The re-issue is amazing! If he had simply released it instead of the original. I don't find the two long pieces 'self-indulgent' when mixed in with all the unreleased tracks. I think it provides the album with a great balance of tracks. I love starting the album with 'The Boy Racer.' It was never my favorite, but there's something about placing it in the beginning that just announces with a bang the aural adventure you're about to take.

LOVE THE RE-ISSUE!

Morrissey is Great.

I love Southpaw and always have :thumb: at first I was shocked because it was so different from what I expected :rolleyes: but then I realised how great it was - the reissue is a must have :guitar:

I love Southpaw and always have :thumb: at first I was shocked because it was so different from what I expected :rolleyes: but then I realised how great it was - the reissue is a must have :guitar:

I won't pretend that I liked the album when it first came out. I had all the usual complaints. The new additions balance out the album. In it's present form it's a fantastic album. Fans must be just downloading the new tracks and moving on because the whole album flows and sounds better. There should be far more discussion of it because it's the best thing Moz has released in years. I found myself actually listening to the entire drum solo during 'The Operation' and wondering if it had been changed. I know many say remastering digital albums is a waste of time, but this remaster sounds fantastic. Every fan should own the reissue - it's that much better.:)

I won't pretend that I liked the album when it first came out. I had all the usual complaints. The new additions balance out the album. In it's present form it's a fantastic album. Fans must be just downloading the new tracks and moving on because the whole album flows and sounds better. There should be far more discussion of it because it's the best thing Moz has released in years. I found myself actually listening to the entire drum solo during 'The Operation' and wondering if it had been changed. I know many say remastering digital albums is a waste of time, but this remaster sounds fantastic. Every fan should own the reissue - it's that much better.:)

I agree! reissue is fantastic - everything about it is just perfect! :guitar:

Having said that, the original southpaw was probably the Moz album that had the greatest impact on me when I listened for the firt time :) - it was so unexpected that at first I couldn't decide if I loved it or hated it :D - it struck me as raw and violent and it made me fell uneasy at times but with every listen I'd be more and more impressed, until I realised how great it was :D

Southpaw (the song) got me hooked and I found myself listening to it really LOUD :) reader meets author was an imediate favourite and little by little I entered and embraced the strange world of southpaw grammar.

Much prefer the reissue.

I can do w/o Teachers but Southpaw is one of my favourite songs of all time. I gave it a 10 in the song polls. I don't think of it as too self-indulgent when the benefit of the indulgence was the band who got a chance to be high-lighted.

On the other hand, I can see Teachers just being excessive (and not much of a tune either).

I think the remaster is a great album, even better than the original. Fantastic Bird is a gem.

I never had a problem with it. I also love Malajusted.

Everyone says how bad those albums were, I seriously think alll Morrissey albums are good

I am also liking the Southpaw remaster, its now much more 'epic'. The original was great enough, but tracks like "Honey You Know Where to Find Me" and "You Should've Been Nice to Me" add some much needed lighter moments to an otherwise decent album.

Maladjusted however should've been left as it was, or at least saved the b-sides to the end. Good to have the b-sides made easily available, but with the omission of "Papa" and "Roy", its again, a little incomplete.

I'll admit, I downloaded SG, and I'm going to pick up 'Maladjusted' once it comes out (I think the U.S. date is June 29?). In retrospect it seems I should have done it the other way around with what people have been saying.

I'm going to miss 'Roy's Keen,' for sure..:rolleyes:

It's a mystery why the unreleased songs from the period that we know of ('I Know Who I Love' and 'Kit') weren't added to the final listing :( Hell, Mozza, at least you could've pulled a 'Fantastic Bird' and given us something from the Your Arsenal era! :rolleyes: Ahh well.

Roll on with the reissues! My vote is 'Viva Hate' or 'Kill Uncle' next! :)

I always loved Southpaw, but I will have to check out the reissue...didn't even know about it...

It's amazing how many people are just 'discovering' this album.

It's actually getting kinda annoying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom