Spotify: Laurence Stevens, Record Sleeve Artist - Art Of The Sleeve Podcast (July 22, 2021)

Spotify source only - which says you need the app, but not if you embed it so enjoy.

"Designer Laurence Stevens talks about his career, his passion for sleeve art, working with Morrissey, Eurythmics, Annie Lennox, and Shakespears Sister"

Was an interesting listen.
Regards,
FWD.

Always thought the Southpaw Grammar cover
was a picture of a guy standin' by a wall.
Turns out it's a picture of a guy jumpin' rope.

ON-vBWrBAcy-JB-x2JME5nbXht-QOT46jU4rT6ktPLCzKLdLlT8X9amVgIFOhW3seQJxDPzlM4nzj2uP6fNv_3gcju7jDJaT6XBTwgFc

That's why these podcasts are super important.

Last edited:
Moz talk around -32:00

Laurence says that Mark E. Nevin
told him that Morrissey would send Mark the lyrics and Mark would write music for Morrissey that way.

This is news, if true.

Is it true ?

The only other time I heard about Morrissey working this way was when Marr told the story of Morrissey handing him the words to Suffer Little Children and Marr put music to them.

Spotify source only - which says you need the app, but not if you embed it so enjoy.

"Designer Laurence Stevens talks about his career, his passion for sleeve art, working with Morrissey, Eurythmics, Annie Lennox, and Shakespears Sister"

Regards,
FWD.

Moz talk around -32:00

Laurence says that Mark E. Nevin
told him that Morrissey would send Mark the lyrics and Mark would write music for Morrissey that way.

This is news, if true.

Is it true ?

The only other time I heard about Morrissey working this way was when Marr told the story of Morrissey handing him the words to Suffer Little Children and Marr put music to them.
No.

That was a fascinating listen, and an all too rare peep at his design 'process'. Cheers for posting; í don't do spotify.

í seem to remember discussing this odd point with you rather recently, but was this {"Southpaw Grammar" '95variant} the debut of Whores In Retirement, as Mr Stevens seems to state here? Or had that appeared previously?

í would have been interested to hear the host expand upon just why he thought the "Vauxhall & I" sleeve was such a stinker. í always had a problem with the clunky 'effect' applied to a perfectly fine matinee idol Dean Freeman photograph, but you can forgive alot given the contents within.

Anyone recall the other someone once who mentioned Morrissey's furniture shifting tendencies? Perhaps he was still in training to be blind...?

But the 'white noise' shenanigans...is...Bowie at Doheny Drive '75 territory. Pure odd.

Mr Stevens has a handful of Moz entries on his recently created instagram page.

Nothing 'unseen' yet, but some interesting wee details, such as matt silver off-centre staples, italicised humiliation ~ "specifically requested by the artist", Etc.

Mr Stevens has a handful of Moz entries on his recently created instagram page.

Nothing 'unseen' yet, but some interesting wee details, such as matt silver off-centre staples, italicised humiliation ~ "specifically requested by the artist", Etc.

His lyrics work so well as poems, that I'm slightly irked Simon Armitage dismissed the label just because he's also a singer.

Also I want a book of lyrics & photos!!!

Regards,
FWD.

í tried to extract the audio from this, but failed. Is there any chance you would be able to provide a download of this interview, if you get a minute?

Cheers FWD.

Yeah my first thought. But what if it is true? Morrissey at that time maybe tried working that way. A strange thing for Laurence to say though.

í tried to extract the audio from this, but failed. Is there any chance you would be able to provide a download of this interview, if you get a minute?

Cheers FWD.

I don’t do Spotify either. But played for me fine here.

Wish they used that Boy Racer sleeve as the album sleeve instead.

Anyone recall the other someone once who mentioned Morrissey's furniture shifting tendencies? Perhaps he was still in training to be blind...?

That does ring a bell, but I can't quite place it. I do remember Paul Morley mentioning that Morrissey would switch seats every time Morley left for the bathroom...

Cheers FWD.

I won't be doing Spotify rips again anytime soon.
Utter headache.
All the extensions for Chrome / FF are duff.
As too: various 'free' rippers - all junk.
So podcast below recorded through soundcard - which they haven't managed to stop yet.
Shame Spotify are doing the monopoly nonsense.
Most podcasts are happy to have many sources - insert long rant...
Anyway - as requested:
FWD.

í seem to remember discussing this odd point with you rather recently, but was this {"Southpaw Grammar" '95variant} the debut of Whores In Retirement, as Mr Stevens seems to state here? Or had that appeared previously?

I think the first release it appeared on was The Malady Lingers On.

Screenshot_20210727-002744_Chrome.jpg

And the first record sleeve was Beethoven Was Deaf.

20210727_003327.jpg

Utter headache.
So podcast below recorded through soundcard - which they haven't managed to stop yet.
Anyway - as requested:
FWD.

Sorry for the headaches; We Thank You for your service (y)

Yeah my first thought. But what if it is true? Morrissey at that time maybe tried working that way. A strange thing for Laurence to say though.

I don’t do Spotify either. But played for me fine here.

Wish they used that Boy Racer sleeve as the album sleeve instead.
Same here.

Utter headache.
Anyway - as requested:
FWD.

FWD, you're the best. ;)

Thank you x

I loved the visual style that Laurence Stevens created for Eurythmics.

Thanks @joe frady, for drawing attention to Stevens' Instagram account.

First of a number of alternative designs?

Plus some more background on the use of the RCA logo

Screenshot_20210727-200303_Instagram.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom