Stephen Street on Morrissey (Mojo 327, February 2021)

Stephen Street Feb 2021.jpg

Related Item:

If Moz could leave his ego aside now and again he'd be far better off. He should invite Street and Alain out for dinner & drinks and chat things out. Let bygones be bygones. The future is racing to meet us. Rush to danger, wind up somewhere.
Probably nowhere action.... why..
it must be like, for us non musicians or fans meeting up with an ex partner.... and then trying to get the magic back 20 odd years later...
it , in my view just wouldn’t work..
we must , on here stop harking back to what we / think or want/ moz to do with his career.... yes we all have our fave writers, producers, guitarist but come on we need to look forward not backwards....

So Morrissey kicked him out, wouldn't give him credit on songs HE wrote & even assumed violence from the poor bloke...

Some idiot here will say Street is the baddie.

Street seems like a class act. In all the interviews I've read over the years, he's always been unfailingly positive and polite in his comments about Morrissey. One can only wonder what gems would have come out of a continued collaboration.

Street seems like a class act. In all the interviews I've read over the years, he's always been unfailingly positive and polite in his comments about Morrissey. One can only wonder what gems would have come out of a continued collaboration.
Totally right Brett, all said and done, my two pence worth like everyone else..... mr street would be very welcome as a producer.... but from all I’ve ever read with him he seems to shit himself when in the studio with people from moz camp ..
and quite right to ... moz knows who he wants .... he was even in awe of mike joice, and quite rightly as well... but that was decades ago...

Everyday is like Sunday is my all time fave moz song ....
will we ever get these songs again ....
2-4kin right we will ....
anyhow boxing time now....
The idiot from carlisle predicts a Joshua knockout in round 6 ...
enjoy all

If Moz could leave his ego aside now and again he'd be far better off. He should invite Street and Alain out for dinner & drinks and chat things out. Let bygones be bygones. The future is racing to meet us. Rush to danger, wind up somewhere.
Alain was one of the lads right up until that night in Dublin. Do you know what he did that gave Morrissey no other choice to kick him out the band?

No real artist worth their salt is easy to work with. Easy people both suck and blow.

A familiar thread runs through most stories of "ex-communication" from the Moz camp and that's really sad. It usually involves money (as though asking to be paid is unreasonable?) or M taking sudden offence at something completely minor and metaphorically 'burning the house down.' He comes across as erratic, unable to take criticism on any level, almost child-like in his dealings with people. Sad.

Alain was one of the lads right up until that night in Dublin. Do you know what he did that gave Morrissey no other choice to kick him out the band?
Alain demanded that his face appear on album covers, apparently, and some other stuff too, including telling Steve (somewhat bizarrely) that he knew who was out to get him. Although alain wrote 20 or so really good songs, he also wrote nearly 50 mediocre ones. The average quality of his songs was nowhere near the Stephen Street level.

No real artist worth their salt is easy to work with. Easy people both suck and blow.
Rubbish. Being difficult isn't a sign of 'artistry' now any more than it was when he was 16 and cocooned in his room with his records, communicating with the outside world via Mum. It's a sign of a man with fragile self-esteem and poor social skills who has pushed away some of the most important people in his life.

Rubbish. Being difficult isn't a sign of 'artistry' now any more than it was when he was 16 and cocooned in his room with his records, communicating with the outside world via Mum. It's a sign of a man with fragile self-esteem and poor social skills who has pushed away some of the most important people in his life.
It does all come to money, of course it does , if your in receipt of any monies , owed,or incoming would you not keep a careful eye on it all, coz no c*** in rough trade did... did they ..... ? As I’ve posted earlier moz now in “some” kind of control over his financial affairs....
Or shall moz just accept the likes of Craig gammon .... with his £44k payout ... and for what.....
tweeking a couple of strings on 4king ASK.....
and been a 4king arsehole on a American tour where, Keith from Middlesbrough lives .....
Wierside jack is dead ..
Long live Keith..... you make Carlisle look like a very glamorous place that it is .... iiiiiinnnnnnniiiitttttt

Morrissey admits he's difficult - there's a difference between that & hysterical bullshit stories in the press that people who still haunt this site appear to believe yet don't have the self-respect to move on to an artist whose publicity they prefer.
So, Karen here is a complete, apologist slug. Can’t read an article and take it for what it is. She’s gotta continue to make excuses for a dirt-bag who doesn’t care if she lives or dies, despite the fact that it makes her look like a Corgi, stapled to a light-pole.

Fak Arf, ya try-hard tit.

Morrissey admits he's difficult - there's a difference between that & hysterical bullshit stories in the press that people who still haunt this site appear to believe yet don't have the self-respect to move on to an artist whose publicity they prefer.
:thumb:

Probably nowhere action.... why..
it must be like, for us non musicians or fans meeting up with an ex partner.... and then trying to get the magic back 20 odd years later...
it , in my view just wouldn’t work..
we must , on here stop harking back to what we / think or want/ moz to do with his career.... yes we all have our fave writers, producers, guitarist but come on we need to look forward not backwards....
I dunno. There are one or two exes I wouldn't mind waving my magic wand at for a minute or two. Well just one really.

I'd love it if Moz found some new collaborators. There are some fine songwriters out there. Emerging talent. I'm loving The Murder Capital at the moment.
I'm off to see New Order in Mank in Sept if covid allows. Bought a ticket today. I hope to visit Ian Curtis' grave and spend the weekend getting sloshed in those lovely welcoming Manchester ale houses.

Stephen Street was the perfect pairing for Morrissey post Smiths. Street was being more than fair in what he was asking for back in 1989, but Morrissey was being a stubborn, difficult child and wouldn't hear of it. His loss, and his immediate output suffered greatly.

While I feel the Boorer/Whyte era was magical, I always think about what could have been had a Morrissey/Street partnership continued throughout the 90's.

It's clear from his words, that Stephen Street would love to work with Morrissey again. Frankly, this is exactly what Morrissey needs right now. Morrissey needs Street both as a producer, and a song writing partner. These are desperate times for Morrissey, especially being label-less yet again.

I've not been a fan of Morrissey's output in the last decade or so. Despite the occasional song that excites me (Staircase at the University comes to mind), the other songs strike a lifeless, stagnant, autopilot tone to my ears. His producer since WPINOYB, Joe Chiccarelli is awful and downright Morrissey cancer, he needs to go. I couldn't think of a better fit than Stephen Street heading into 2021. Someone needs to light a fire under Morrissey and Stephen Street is just the guy to do it.

Can you imagine a new Morrissey album produced by Stephen Street and packed with Street and Boorer compositions? I'd love to see Alain Whyte back as a songwriter too, but too much wishful thinking for one post.

Stephen Street is the hero we all need.

Interesting. What was Street asking for? Was it said in an interview? If you have a link, that would be cool. Thanks.

Melvis. He REALLY IS that whiny ass little bitch, isn’t he? If I hadn’t been watching it, real-time - for 25 years - I’d never believe it.

If there were a chart for bed-shitting twats who sharted all over their own legacy by opening their mouth, he’d be the undisputed champion.

Signs of recovery though. There was no caveat in that piece. Considering he's done nothing to save himself & has taken up no offers from the culture warriors, that's remarkable.
Shut the f*** up, Karen. It doesn’t take a “culture warrior” to spot a complete dick, or a vapid c*** - where you’re concerned.

Yes but life is short. Might as well try to get along with people. That said, I'm personally a right moody bastard half the time. But if I had someone like S.Street writing hit songs for me I'd be my good half with him.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom