Stoke-on-Trent - Victoria Hall (July 5, 2011) post-show

Stoke Rocks!

goinghome, Rupert, Smiths Indeed, et al, Thanks for your wonderful accounts of the great show.

There is nothing like hearing the Morrissey football chant in Northern England. It was a really great crowd, giddy and excited to see M. Mad mass pogo-jumping from all men in front and some women who braved staying there throughout the show. Grand sing-along for Fatty indicated it would be a great rest of the show. People even sang along to Jesse playing the great guitar interlude on Shoplifters (lah-dah dahhh-duh, duh-dahhh, duh-dahhh...). First time I've seen/heard that. Truly a lot of love for M in the crowd last night.

Irish Blood, English Heart also very special to hear in the North, with all singing along. Same with There Is a Light. Definitely true fans in the audience, knowing both the solo and Smiths songs. During or just before singing Ouija, M glanced up to the heavens, for friends passed beyond no doubt. I Know It's Over (agreed with previous review) absolutely beautifully sung by M and the band were spot on with him as well.

Speaking of the band, Meat is Murder was very contemplative, and the interlude vicious, with Boz's guitar feedback sounding like heffer whines... total Jimi Hendrix (or rather Boz) greatness... for a purpose. Boz's clarinet for Paris also wonderful to see/hear, nice variety in the show. Quite enjoyed finally having a view of Matt totally rockin' out on the drums as well- the foundational bass beat, the snares, the big kettle, the enormous powerful gong.

Panic encore, more mental than Hop Farm (mental concentrated in a smaller space, lol). Everyone up and a jumping again and singing every word. I'm sure M and the band heard. Some let desperation take hold and climbed over others to get a handshake. Heard later that security of the venue unfortunately slammed people in the corridors without provocation. No excuse for that, imho.

For anonymous posting at 6:13pm yesterday (at least according to my settings), the intermission clips (with a little help from allyouneedisme for holdovers from the last recent tours) are:
- School bell (Bing! 'School is now in session')
- band/song? (black and white tv taping of black singer with white group, sounds like the group that did "Making My Way Back to You, Babe")
- Vince Taylor(?) "Twist"
- Edith Sitwell interview about how scandalous it would be for her to wear a skirt or dress (preshow music features her reading of a Gertrude Stein-like poem)
- Nico "I'm Not Saying" but a different version of the video in b/w and different angles than the version from the last tours
- Joe Dolan "You're Such A Good Looking Woman" seems to also be a different version of the video with other angles (or maybe just my bad memory makes it look fresh again?)
- African American writer interview (if anyone remembers the writer's name, please chime in), different part of the interview from the last tour, about the contributions of people of color making the country what it is
- Lou Reed interview (same)
- African American writer again, different clip, about who had the whip, not his grandma that raped
- Band/song? ("Like a Tiger" ?) b/w tv taping from the 60s(?) of a live performance of an Elvis-like singer, girls screaming like for Elvis
- tv clip with actors singing drunk "When the Lights Go Down Again" then the police come in and break it up
- Sparks (song? different from last time) German tv performance
- New York Dolls "Looking for a Kiss" (same)
- Lipsynka act about narcissism (same, hilarious)

---> Operation drum intro audio (awwwwesome... wish they would actually play the song!)

Band also wore button down navy shirts with a small white button on their left chest (if anyone up front could read what they said, please chime in), dark/black (?) slacks. M's shirts/wardrobe already mentioned (Thanks to the previous post-er for that).

I should add that the opening band, local heros All the Young were also really good. I heard some around me to singing along to their songs. They were very gracious about thanking M for asking them to open, too. Seemed like a nice group of blokes, no attitude.

Roll on, Leeds... :guitar:
Cheers,
romeogirl

So did the band really have t-shrts reading "more gigs to come.... sign us up" at one point or was that a troll post.

The videos don't seem to support this.

So did the band really have t-shrts reading "more gigs to come.... sign us up" at one point or was that a troll post.

The videos don't seem to support this.

I was quite near the front (maybe 5 or so 'rows' back) and couldn't see what was on the badges - they were tiny!! And there certainly wasn't anything printed on the shirts themselves.

Thanks to the poster for listing the contents of the intermission videos... I really enjoyed that part of the show. Would also concur about 'All The Young'. I found myself singing along to a couple of tracks, which bodes well about them as this was the first time I'd ever heard them! Will be seeking them out again soon... I also note their playing at the Kings Hall in Stoke in October... might need to investigate that gig too!

Did he mess up the words to ouiji? He didn't sing the 's.t.e.v.e.n' bits ? I'm still on such a high from last night, first moz gig..."once yiu pop you can't stop" seems appropriate to say !

To echo other posts, I agree last night in Stoke was, for me, the pinnacle of the tour so far. The crowd were 75%+ locals I would say, and not your usual Morrissey crowd at all. What a joy they were! I've not heard such enthusiasm for years, and Morrissey clearly appreciated it too. If only we could take them with us every night?

Night off tonight, which is much needed as I've still got sleep to catch up on from Hop Farm. Tetley time again tomorrow :guitar:

To echo other posts, I agree last night in Stoke was, for me, the pinnacle of the tour so far. The crowd were 75%+ locals I would say, and not your usual Morrissey crowd at all. What a joy they were! I've not heard such enthusiasm for years, and Morrissey clearly appreciated it too. If only we could take them with us every night?

Night off tonight, which is much needed as I've still got sleep to catch up on from Hop Farm. Tetley time again tomorrow :guitar:

Now made in Brum as Tetley Brewery closed down for good a couple of weeks ago:(.Try find a little pub called Whitelocks if you get time.Its the best pub in Leeds cc.You might even bump into Viv Nicholson!
Its next to Carphone warehouse,down an alley on the main street in Leeds city centre.f*** Wetherspoons

Intermission clips at Stoke (supplementing romeogirl's post):
- School bell (Bing! "School is now in session")
- The Foundations, Back On My Feet Agian
- Vince Taylor, There's A Whole Lot of Twisting Going On
- Edith Sitwell 'Face To Face' interview
- Nico, I'm Not Saying
- Joe Dolan, You're Such A Good Looking Woman
- James Baldwin (documentary excerpt 1)
- Lou Reed press conference (Australia 1974?)
- James Baldwin (documentary excerpt 2)
- Fabian, The Tiger
- ITV's Queenie's Castle with Diana Dors? ("when the lights go out all over the world"?)
- Sparks, Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth (Dutch tv - Avro)
- New York Dolls, Looking for a Kiss (German TV - Musik Laden)
- Lypsinka

---> Operation drum intro audio (awwwwesome... wish they would actually play the song!)

romeogirl

romeogirl, I've always thought that The Operation would make a great opener, I can imagine Matt coming on and kicking off the solo, band follows a couple of mins later and crash into the song, Morrissey arrives shortly after and begins. That would be fantastic.

Now made in Brum as Tetley Brewery closed down for good a couple of weeks ago:(.Try find a little pub called Whitelocks if you get time.Its the best pub in Leeds cc.You might even bump into Viv Nicholson!
Its next to Carphone warehouse,down an alley on the main street in Leeds city centre.f*** Wetherspoons

Thanks Billy, but I was just referring to what Morrissey said in York, about the Tetley Bitter Men.

Did he mess up the words to ouiji? He didn't sing the 's.t.e.v.e.n' bits ?

He didn't 'mess up' - this is the new edited version as on the recent Bona Drag re-issue/Very Best Of. For some reason he obviously hates that middle bit now and wants to edit it out of history.

I've always thought that The Operation would make a great opener, I can imagine Matt coming on and kicking off the solo, band follows a couple of mins later and crash into the song, Morrissey arrives shortly after and begins. That would be fantastic.

Back when Spike Smith was the drummer he wanted to do the same thing, and play that Operation intro 'live', but apparently Moz didn't want him to do it, as he didn't want him to expend all his energy at the beginning of the gig. So I doubt this will ever happen, though it's a nice idea.

He didn't 'mess up' - this is the new edited version as on the recent Bona Drag re-issue/Very Best Of. For some reason he obviously hates that middle bit now and wants to edit it out of history.

That's a shame... that's one of the best bits of the song!!! Very funny - "No, I was NOT pushing that time...."

what an awesome gig, enjoyed watching my mates get squashed/trod-on at the front... ha ha! defo better than the liverpool gig last year lol! not quite as good as the manchester apollo gig from last year but pretty damn close! highlights for me were alma matters, everyday is like sunday & there is a light that never goes out...

Intermission clips at Stoke (supplementing romeogirl's post):
- School bell (Bing! "School is now in session")
- The Foundations, Back On My Feet Agian
- Vince Taylor, There's A Whole Lot of Twisting Going On
- Edith Sitwell 'Face To Face' interview
- Nico, I'm Not Saying
- Joe Dolan, You're Such A Good Looking Woman
- James Baldwin (documentary excerpt 1)
- Lou Reed press conference (Australia 1974?)
- James Baldwin (documentary excerpt 2)
- Fabian, The Tiger
- ITV's Queenie's Castle with Diana Dors? ("when the lights go out all over the world"?)
- Sparks, Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth (Dutch tv - Avro)
- New York Dolls, Looking for a Kiss (German TV - Musik Laden)
- Lypsinka

Further supplementing romeogirl's and TheSmithsIndeed's post, nearly a full list of intermission clips with links to re-savour has been compiled near the end of the following thread - http://allyouneedismorrissey.com/topic/4342453/4/

Any updates welcome! :)

Fantastic gig, full of energy and fun. Moz was on fine form vocally and verbally, I absoloutely loved it. I was in the balcony but took some photo's, not great, but whoever gave him the sign might like the below :) I laughed out loud when he crawled along the stage :lbf:
P1040701.jpg

P1040730.jpg

Oh i don't know if i'm sad that he's crawling along or laughing. He's so beautiful.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom