Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Thanks for that :D

I remember now, it's a good book and I really want to read it again and buy the film.

You're welcome. :)

Demand that your friend return it to you! With menaces if necessary! :D

I should've written 'friend' because I really don't like the girl.
And she keeps on putting it off and reading Ben Elton books in between :S

If I ask her God knows she'll just get annoyed with me and I can't be arsed to deal with that. Stupid catch 22's.

A few weeks ago I saw an article about a blogger who was snubbed by Steve Jobs on the show floor at MacWorld. Seems he called her rude and someone in his group laughed at her when she asked to take a photo. The headline on her blog: "I was looking for a Jobs and then I found a Jobs, heaven knows I'm miserable now." It was unexpected and made me laugh.

I should've written 'friend' because I really don't like the girl.
And she keeps on putting it off and reading Ben Elton books in between :S

If I ask her God knows she'll just get annoyed with me and I can't be arsed to deal with that. Stupid catch 22's.

Oh dear. Could you not just murder her and then swipe it? :D

I hate it when people borrow stuff and don't give it back for years, then when you finally ask them for it they say they haven't finished with it. Bloody cheek!

The band PISTOL OPERA have an AMAZING song called "I Know It's Over." It sounds NOTHING like the Smiths classic, but it DOES feature a repeated refrain of "Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head" at the end, so it's an obvious tribute!

They also have a song called "Daddy Was a Disco Dancer" (sounds a bit like "Death of a Disco Dancer", eh?), and one of their new tunes I have a bootleg of (called "Ghost Song") starts with the line "Hello, I am the ghost of troubled Joe." They must be huge Smiths/Moz fans!

The band PISTOL OPERA have an AMAZING song called "I Know It's Over." It sounds NOTHING like the Smiths classic, but it DOES feature a repeated refrain of "Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head" at the end, so it's an obvious tribute!

They also have a song called "Daddy Was a Disco Dancer" (sounds a bit like "Death of a Disco Dancer", eh?), and one of their new tunes I have a bootleg of (called "Ghost Song") starts with the line "Hello, I am the ghost of troubled Joe." They must be huge Smiths/Moz fans!

that reminds me of the Deathcab for Cutie song, "Death of an Interior Decorator." always figured that was a Smiths reference as well since they covered "This Charming Man."

This is not a reference to Morrissey but I thought I'd share it because it made me think of "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" and "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" (which, in my private interpretation which I don't expect anyone else to agree with, is about his mother):

O night without objects. O obtuse window outward, o carefully closed doors; arrangements from long ago, taken over, accredited, never quite understood. O stillness in the staircase, stillness from adjoining rooms, stillness up high against the ceiling. O mother: o you only one, who shut out all this stillness, long ago in childhood. Who take it upon yourself, saying: don't be afraid, it is I. Who has the courage all in the night yourself to be this stillness for that which is afraid and perishing with fear. You strike a light, and already the noise is you. And you hold the light before you and say: It is I; don't be afraid. And you put it down, slowly, and there is no doubt: it is you; you are the light around these familiar intimate things, that are there without afterthought, good, simple, unambiguous. And when there is restlessness somewhere in the wall, or a step on the floor: you only smile, smile, smile transparent against a light background into the fearful face that looks searchingly at you, as if you were the one and in the secret with every half-sound, in concert and in agreement with it. Does any power equal your power among the rulers of the earth? See, kings lie and stare, and the teller of tales cannot distract them. On the blissful breasts of their favorite mistress terror creeps over them and makes them shaky and lifeless. But you, you come and hold the monstrous thing behind you, and are in front of it altogether; not like a curtain it can throw open here or there. No, as if you had overtaken it at the call that needed you. As if you had come far ahead of anything that may yet happen, and had behind you only your hasting hither, your eternal path, the flight of your love.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke, The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge, Tr. M.D. Herter Norton.​

well, its not strange or unexpected but since degrassi uses "80s song titles" as show titles, theyve used How Soon Is Now, This Charming Man, and Death Of A Disco Dancer.

im sorry but i love that show too much.

Was at Hillsborough last Tuesday night watching Wednesday and at half time First of the Gang came over the PA system. Was the best part of a freezing cold night and brought a huge smile to my face. I was singing and dancing around, my dad thought I'd gone mad! It's the first time they have ever played a Smiths or Morrissey song there. Keep it up, 'cos the football is terrible!!!

A friend of mine's sent me a text from a bar in Athens (I'd have been there for the Olympiakos-Chelsea game myself if I wasn't bloody ill :mad:), Bigmouth Strikes Again has just come on the jukebox.

Was at Hillsborough last Tuesday night watching Wednesday and at half time First of the Gang came over the PA system. Was the best part of a freezing cold night and brought a huge smile to my face. I was singing and dancing around, my dad thought I'd gone mad! It's the first time they have ever played a Smiths or Morrissey song there. Keep it up, 'cos the football is terrible!!!

Superb, another owl moz fan!

Anyway about 2 weeks ago I was watching Premier League Darts and Sid Waddell claimed on commetary that Adrian Lewis had a Morrissey haircut! (he didn't in case you're wondering, unless he was thinking of the Alma Matters video!)

that reminds me of the Deathcab for Cutie song, "Death of an Interior Decorator." always figured that was a Smiths reference as well since they covered "This Charming Man."

Ben Gibbard is a big fan of Morrissey. I should know, I mean hell, we're bestest friends
DSCN1566.jpg

He was really excited to learn that he had just played in the same venue as Morrissey. He was actually not a douche like I would have thought. Kudos Ben Gibbard, kudos.

He was actually not a douche like I would have thought. Kudos Ben Gibbard, kudos.

you sure hes not a douche? i mean.. if it looks like a douche, if it smells like a douche, and if it walks, talks, and acts like a douche.....

The Metro today had a front page article on Mohammed Al Fayed and his accusations against the Royal family which was named "This Charming Man"

Cuddle posted a similar thread before:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=64291

I remember Uncleskinny also posted a link which is an article of an 85 years old granny who demanded to play Morrissey/Smiths in her carehome.

Why, whenever anybody raises a question, do you immediately jump in and say "Woo, somebody asked a vaguely similair question nine years ago"? It slows the conversation down and generally makes people feel dejected. You can be a real buzz killer some times.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom