Strange/unexpected Moz references?

í would have been surprised if Johnny did it, just now. í would actually 'listen/watch?' if Stephen Street hosted, that would be genuinely worth it. What has MJ to contribute, after the opening salvo?

I just want to know about this alleged affair! 🙃

Just had a peep at the Burgess twitter thread for this. Boy, there are some doozies...

Maybe they could all wear badges...

HUAC pin.jpg

Plus, lots of "So fitting that it's Mike doing this. The opening drum solo is my fave part and really brings the LP together" Etc... :crazy:

Just had a peep at the Burgess twitter thread for this. Boy, there are some doozies...

View attachment 58665

Plus, lots of "So fitting that it's Mike doing this. The opening drum solo is my fave part and really brings the LP together" Etc... :crazy:

I won't be looking at Moz's Twatter mentions until we're a lot further past the current SCANDAL.

These haters though 🙄 - how quickly they forget that the press have been out to nail him as a reactionary and/or hypocrite ever since they wrongly (IMO) nailed him as a Right On. It's the obvious place to go in the absence of other stories (sex, drugs blah de blah).

Look at this from The Guardian (2007) where he's like a Daily Mail editorial for a song about a terrified teacher & he's reactionary because he questions the competence of the police?????!!!??? Even the tax thing is dubious - how progressive was the Poll Tax???

20200825_011410.jpg

Johnny actually just commented when they did the Charlatan's album "Up at the Lake" - apparently he sequenced the tracks on it. He's not going to participate now that Joyce is doing TQID. Johnny did that hours long podcast with Bernard Butler on TQID already a few years back and it was revelatory.

Cheers Dingo for reminding me that í had never actually got around to listening to this cracker, from, í think, two years ago ~

https://www.mixcloud.com/BoogalooRa...re-you-were-raised-the-queen-is-dead-special/

It's fairly slapdash and pretty muso {í kinda wish they had just played the full 2 hour Johnny call instead} but still a must-listen.

It's never failed to amuse and bemuse me how the 'Johnny camp' seek to excise or at least belittle SPM's contribution to any part of The Smiths project. Obviously now, but even in the old original daze, when you had yer Johnny fans and yer Moz fans. í never got how you could love a band as much as these guys {and they were always guys} and at best tolerate the singer/lyricist...?

In the case of "The Queen is Dead" record ~ Morrissey wrote every syllable, sang every note, chose the track listing, titled it, designed every aspect of the visual presentation of the record...howzat?

í understand that Butler will, to coin a phrase, "never forgive God for not making him Angie", and he's mucho muso, but how can one not see that it's the interaction of Johnny's golden bedding with Morrissey's sung words that make this record especially unique.

At the point where Johnny recalls that it was Morrissey that rescued "Cemetry Gates" from the kitchen wastebin, Bernie, instead of the penny dropping, merely asides "I mean you don't want to say Thank God for Morrissey EVER really, but..." Well who else do you 'thank' for "The Queen is Dead"? Just Johnny and his magic pedals?

Elsewhere, the other bloke hosting helpfully points out that Moz had alot of influences on his lyrics {the old implication that he was merely quite a talented filcher}. But he does later accede "You forget what a great lyricist Morrissey used to be"...

But when they talk about Johnny's admitted influences on this record ~ Stooges, Velvets, Scotty Moore, Etc ~ it's all just breathless genius.

It's quite some feat to analyse this LP in particular, and somehow avoid acknowledging half the genius in front of your ears.

For me, Morrissey's melodic journey on the word "more" in the line "Though she needs you / More than she loves you" is worth...more...than the entire album's worth of drumming. But, yeah, talk away Mike. í'd like to know what those drugs that Johnny mentions were...

Cheers Dingo for reminding me that í had never actually got around to listening to this cracker, from, í think, two years ago ~

https://www.mixcloud.com/BoogalooRa...re-you-were-raised-the-queen-is-dead-special/

It's fairly slapdash and pretty muso {í kinda wish they had just played the full 2 hour Johnny call instead} but still a must-listen.

It's never failed to amuse and bemuse me how the 'Johnny camp' seek to excise or at least belittle SPM's contribution to any part of The Smiths project. Obviously now, but even in the old original daze, when you had yer Johnny fans and yer Moz fans. í never got how you could love a band as much as these guys {and they were always guys} and at best tolerate the singer/lyricist...?

In the case of "The Queen is Dead" record ~ Morrissey wrote every syllable, sang every note, chose the track listing, titled it, designed every aspect of the visual presentation of the record...howzat?

í understand that Butler will, to coin a phrase, "never forgive God for not making him Angie", and he's mucho muso, but how can one not see that it's the interaction of Johnny's golden bedding with Morrissey's sung words that make this record especially unique.

At the point where Johnny recalls that it was Morrissey that rescued "Cemetry Gates" from the kitchen wastebin, Bernie, instead of the penny dropping, merely asides "I mean you don't want to say Thank God for Morrissey EVER really, but..." Well who else do you 'thank' for "The Queen is Dead"? Just Johnny and his magic pedals?

Elsewhere, the other bloke hosting helpfully points out that Moz had alot of influences on his lyrics {the old implication that he was merely quite a talented filcher}. But he does later accede "You forget what a great lyricist Morrissey used to be"...

But when they talk about Johnny's admitted influences on this record ~ Stooges, Velvets, Scotty Moore, Etc ~ it's all just breathless genius.

It's quite some feat to analyse this LP in particular, and somehow avoid acknowledging half the genius in front of your ears.

For me, Morrissey's melodic journey on the word "more" in the line "Though she needs you / More than she loves you" is worth...more...than the entire album's worth of drumming. But, yeah, talk away Mike. í'd like to know what those drugs that Johnny mentions were...

Blokey blokes being blokey.

But still Moz will out legend them all.

View attachment 58665

Just had a look at that thread. Incredible how everyone is desperate to assert that they STILL love The Smiths despite Morrissey having been a part of them. I guess they really were the greatest band ever, not even Morrissey has the power to taint them in their eyes... 🙄

í need this on a T-shirt. Mate.

Apropos of nowt, here is a moving still of Steve Cochran ~ Elizabeth Ann Dwyer's favourite ~ being gubbed by awful Mickey Rooney, in "The Big Operator". Released in the year of the birth of her son, whom she named after poor Steve...

Steve Cochran The Big Operator.jpg

Screening in 5 minutes time on telly {TalkingPicturesTV ~ my lockdown lifeline}

Apropos of nowt, here is a moving still of Steve Cochran ~ Elizabeth Ann Dwyer's favourite ~ being gubbed by awful Mickey Rooney, in "The Big Operator". Released in the year of the birth of her son, whom she named after poor Steve...

View attachment 58677

Cochran.jpg

(Allegedly named after him...)

View attachment 58677

I was named after Karen Carpenter. EDIT: I would have liked Moz's biopic to have more edge even if it didn't star Barbie dolls like this one 👇

I was named after Karen Carpenter. EDIT: I would have liked Moz's biopic to have more edge even if it didn't star Barbie dolls like this one 👇

A fine name, and lineage, indeed.

í would have actually bought the ticket for The Steven Story with Action Men...

And Thank You for the Haynes link. í had never seen it, due to the legal troubles :thumb:

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom